Status: Complete 12/14/11

Scream Me a Dream

Chapter 40: Memory Lane

Helsinki, Finland
Sunday May 30, 2010
10:00am


Ville felt himself drag his feet, as he headed towards baggage claim to get his luggage. One would assume that since he spent half his life traveling, he would be used to constantly changing time zones and the overwhelming feeling of jetlag that was starting to hit. Alas, he was fucking tired and all he wanted to do was go home and sleep for the next twenty four hours, knowing that if he didn’t give into to sleep now, his brain would catch up to the fact that Soya wasn’t in bed with him and refuse to let him go through his usual REM cycle.

He was about to call for a cab, lugging his bag towards the entrance of the airport, only to stop in surprise when he saw a very familiar face leaning against the wall near the front doors; a beanie on his head and sunglasses covering his eyes, keeping him hidden from people coming in and out of the airport.

Ville walked over to him, smiling the entire way. “What are you doing here?”

“Mama called and told me to come pick you up.” Jesse Valo smirked at his older brother, accepting the hug before they made their way outside. “She wants us home for breakfast.”

“How was your trip?” Ville asked, not surprised his mother had requested breakfast with her two sons, especially with both of them in town at the same time.

Jesse frowned at him as he opened the trunk of the car, letting Ville throw his bag in. “Didn’t mama tell you I came home early? We had to cut the trip short when Jouko broke his leg, not much point in camping when the entertainment is fucked up on pain medication.”

Ville laughed as he got into his brother’s car, strapping himself in as Jesse made his way towards their parents’ house.

“Mama says you stayed with Bam after your tour ended.”

Ville nodded slowly, knowing his brother was about to question him. Knowing his mother as he did, he knew she had already told Jesse about his reunion with Soya. “I did.”

“Did you have a good time?”

“I tend to when I’m with Bam and the gang.” Ville smirked, crossing his arms over his chest as he waited.

“Meet any new people?” Jesse smirked back, looking at his brother quickly to see his reaction to the question then turning back to the road.

“A few.” Ville shrugged.

Jesse rolled his eyes. “It’s like pulling teeth with you.”

“Why don’t you just say what you want to say, instead of circling the issue?” Ville asked with a raised eyebrow.

“Mama says-” Jesse started.

Mama says.” Ville laughed. “Is she really your source for every piece of information?”

“Also, the pictures of you with a very familiar looking woman making their way around the internet, say that you’ve reunited with the long lost Soya.”

“Never lost, just…misplaced.” Ville corrected. “We always knew we’d see each other again.”

Jesse snorted. “You doubted it when she first left.”

“What do you know?” Ville teased. “You were thirteen when she left.”

“So? You really don’t think I remember how she affected you when she left?”

Ville shrugged, “Sure.”

“So how is she?” Jesse asked, curious about the girl that was always floating around in the back of his brother’s mind. “I read she’s doing really well as a dancer.”

“Amazingly well,” Ville nodded. “We got to see one of her shows when we were in New York, I knew she was talented when she was here, but to see her on stage, it was amazing.”

“I saw.” Jesse agreed.

“You saw what?” Ville asked.

“Some clips of performances she’s done. Mama was curious and had me search her, see if anything had come from her time at Juilliard. Apparently, she’s quite the sensation in the dancing world. What was the quote I read?” Jesse muttered as he ran a hand through his hair in thought. “A bright star in a blanket of rain clouds, Soya Toivonen is one to watch.” Jesse quoted. “It was from an old review though.”

Ville frowned, he had never thought to search her, and suddenly he felt incredibly stupid having not thought of that before. Even without her being a dancer, the fact that she was a politician’s daughter venturing out on her own in New York was big news on its own.

“What?” Jesse asked, having seen his brothers frown.

“I just feel so stupid right now.”

“Why?”

“I never thought to search for her.” He thought about the boxes that sat in Soya’s closet and how meticulous she was in following their career, how she’d told him that she’d thought it would help with missing them. Sure, he had carried around the hair clip in his pocket, still did, but that was all he did when it came to Soya. He never thought about actually sitting down and searching for her, some friend he was. He thought shaking his head.

“Stop beating yourself up.” Jesse told him, knowing his brother well.

“You don’t get is Jesse, she’s followed every step of our career, collected everything, what have I done? I’ve kept one of her hair clips in my pocket as a good luck charm.”

“It’s different Ville,” Jesse told him, trying to reassure his brother. “Just searching your name alone will result in millions of hits; it’s easier to follow you than it is her. There’s not much on the internet about her, same shit in every article, most are just reviews of shows she’s done, but not any actual facts about her. Most of the information I found was from her website.” Jesse laughed. “Little Soya has a website.”

“What else did you find?” Ville asked, curious as to what was on the internet about Soya.

Jesse shrugged as he parked in front of his parents’ house. “Like I said, just regular stats, a few pictures, a bunch of interviews. Though most of them are just her and a guy named Josef talking about their performance. Promoting. Nothing really personal.”

“Josef is her roommate and best friend.” Ville told him as he got out of the car and following Jesse up the walkway to the door.

“There was one interview that was cool.” Jesse said with a laugh as he remember the interview he’d read.

“What was it?”

“It was her interviewing Rosalind, from Revolution. You know, the hippy chick.”

“Rosalind isn’t a hippy.” Ville laughed as he knocked on the door.

Jesse raised an eyebrow. “Are you sure? She’s always wearing those skirts.”

Ville thought of Rosalind and her affection for long loose skirts and peasant tops, mostly because she loved how the skirt flared up when she twirled and gave her leg room behind her drum set, and how the peasant shirts were short enough to bare some of her stomach, but not enough to make her seem slutty. Well that had been her explanation during one of her interviews that Ville had sat in on; he hadn’t been able to stop laughing after he’d heard that.

“I’m positive.” Ville chuckled, as he knocked on the door again. “So Soya interviewed Rosalind, I never knew that.”

“Obviously.” Jesse said with a roll of his eyes. “It was for a fan-site of Revolution, I found it on some forum.” Jesse reached over and tried the knob, finding it open. “You could have done this in the first place, you know.”

Ville shrugged as he followed his brother into the house. “Mama!”

“Ville!” Anita called coming out of the kitchen wiping her hands.

“We knocked but you didn’t answer.” Ville said reaching out to hug his mother, only to frown when she shooed him away, looking behind him.

“The door was unlocked; I knew you’d figure it out eventually. Now where is she?”

Ville blinked and looked at his brother who shrugged, looking as confused as Ville felt. “Who?”

“Soya, Ville!” Anita said. “Where’s Soya?”

“In New York, where else would she be?” Ville asked.

“Here! You were supposed to bring her with you!” Anita said, only to sigh. “Well, what’s your excuse?”

Ville laughed, he was thirty-three and getting reprimanded by his mother because he hadn’t been able to convince a girl to come home with him. “I tried mama, really I did.” Ville leaned down and kissed her cheek. “I guess my good looks just weren’t enough to convince her.”

“Did you say please?” Anita asked.

“Multiple times.” Ville assured. “But she promised she would make her way up here soon.”

“Good.” Anita nodded. “Now go wash up and get your father, breakfast is almost ready.”

Jesse stared in disbelief as he followed Ville into the bathroom. “The woman hasn’t seen me in weeks, and she goes straight to you.” Jesse complained.

“That’s because I’m the favorite.” Ville grinned, causing Jesse to shove him down the hall.

Hours later, once breakfast was done, and Kari was off to open the shop with promises from both Jesse and Ville that they would visit before they left again, Ville was at the kitchen counter watching his mother, as Jesse looked for the interview that Soya had done with Rosalind.

“I can give you her number mama.” Ville said. “So you can contact her whenever you want.”

“I’m sure she doesn’t want to talk to me.” Anita said waving a hand in dismissal.

“You’d be surprised.” Ville smiled. “She misses you; she made Karelian pasties while we were at Bam’s.”

Jesse looked up wide-eyed. “She still knows how to make those?”

“She should, I taught her.” Anita grinned.

“We talked about her time here with you, she really does miss you.” Ville winced as he remembered he hadn’t called Soya. Digging out his phone, he sent her a quick text.

“Who are you texting?” Anita asked.

“Soya.” Ville said absently. “I was supposed to call her when I landed.”

“And you’re sending her a text! Ville call the girl, she’s probably worrying by now.”

“But-”

“Yeah, Ville, call.” Jesse smirked, knowing why his brother was hesitating on actually calling.

Ville sighed and dialed the number before he sent the text, only for Jesse to steal his phone and put it on speakerphone setting the phone the counter as it rang.

“Disowned!” Soya growled into the phone. “Whoever you are, you are no longer my friend!”

Anita frowned, causing Ville to chuckle. “As I was about to defend my text, it’s two in the morning there.” He turned back to the phone. “Sorry, kulta, it’s me, my mama insisted I call.”

“Ville?” Soya asked seemingly more alert. “No, its fine, I wasn’t fully asleep. You’re home?”

“I am, sorry to wake you.”

“No, I told you to call, just a second Ville. Regan!” Soya shouted, her voice muffled. “Turn the damn thing off!” Ville laughed, as Soya got back to the phone. “Sorry, Regan’s been playing some video game in his room since Emmy left this afternoon, it’s been on full blast, thus why I haven’t been able to sleep.”

“It’s fine. I’ll let you go back to sleep.”

“No, now I’m awake.”

“Ah, then I’ll let my mama say hello, I can see her dying to talk to you.” He passed the phone to her mother taking it off speakerphone, as she took it further in the kitchen as she continued to clean.

“Here it is.” Jesse said pushing the laptop towards Ville. Ville took the laptop, scooting it closer and read the interview Soya had done with Rosalind almost a year and a half ago, when the band had released their album. The interview was fan-based questions that Soya asked; mostly revolving around how the band had formed and Rosalind’s very publicized relationship with Jyrki.

Even though it was just a simple question and answer interview, he could see the strong friendship between Rosalind and Soya, and how much fun they had had during the interview.

“I’ll see you soon!” Anita laughed, before saying goodbye and handing the phone over to Ville.

“Hey.” Ville said, putting the phone back to his ear.

“Hi again.” Soya said quietly causing him to smile as he pushed the computer back to Jesse.

“You sound tired.”

“I’m getting there, what are you up to?”

“Nothing really,” he looked over at his brother who mouthed something, causing Ville to chuckle. “Jesse sends his love.”

“I send mine back.” Soya said her voice thick with sleep.

Kulta, go to sleep.”

“No! I want to talk to you!” Soya whined.

“I doubt you can barely keep your head up, let alone hold the phone. Either way, I think I’m going to head home and get some sleep myself.”

“Don’t sleep Ville.”

“Why not?” Ville asked with a frown.

“For someone who travels as much as you do, you should know that falling sleep now is just going to mess with you later tonight. Stay up and try to get back to a regular schedule.”

Ville laughed. “There’s really no point in that Soya, I’m just going to be in a different time zone four days from now.”

“Do what you want.” Soya said. “I’m just trying to save you from yourself.”

Ville chuckled. “It’s much appreciated love, but I think I’ll take my chances. You go to bed and we’ll talk more when we’re both awake.”

“Fine, night Ville.”

Ville grinned. “Night.” He hung up the phone, shaking his head in amusement, before turning to Jesse, “She sends her love back.”

“By your phone conversation, I’m guessing you want me to take you home?”

“Please.” Ville groaned. “I’m so fucking tired.”

“Go home Ville, sleep.” Anita said kissing the top of his head. “Be sure to come say goodbye before you leave again.”

“I will.” Ville said hugging his mother, pulling away and allowing Jesse the same privilege, before they said goodbye and left.

The ride to his tower was mostly silent, filled with random pieces of conversation and the music the Jesse had playing on the radio. Ville was half-asleep by the time Jesse pulled up to the stone building and helped him with his bags.

“Lunch, before you leave.” Jesse said, setting down Ville’s guitar case at the entrance of the door.

“Yeah, I’ll call you. Thanks for the ride.”

“Anything for my older brother.” Jesse teased before waving goodbye and closing the door. Ville stared at his bags, before waving a dismissing hand at them and heading upstairs to his bedroom. He fell face first into his pillows, groaning at the feel of the mattress under his body. As much as he loved touring and performing, it was definitely good to be back in his own bed, he thought as he started closing his eyes, feeling sleep tug at him.

He shot up, when he heard the loud ringing, echo through his silent room, digging his phone out from his pocket, he groaned when he saw Mige’s picture on the caller ID.

“What?” Ville asked rubbing his eyes tiredly.

“Get showered and dressed, we’re going out.”

Ville groaned. “Mige, it’s nearly one in the afternoon, we’ll go out later.”

“Soya doesn’t want you to go to sleep.”

Ville blinked, he could have sworn he heard Mige wrong. “What?”

“Soya, she called, told me to drag you out of your room and take you out, not to let you fall asleep or else it’s going to fuck you up later, you should know this.”

“She said it was going to fuck me up?” Ville asked, his brain still filled with sleep.

“Well no, Soya doesn’t curse.” Mige laughed. “I’m paraphrasing, so take a shower, get dressed and meet me outside in twenty minutes.”

“Or you could let me sleep, tell Soya you took me out, and spend the day with Vedrana.”

“Vedrana’s had enough of me.” Mige said. “and the rest of the guys are ready to start rehearsing, we haven’t even gone through the playlist for Germany and that’s in four days.”

Ville groaned. “We can’t do this tomorrow?”

“We could.” Mige hedged. “But Soya threatened to call me every half hour until I dragged you out, I don’t know if you know this, but Soya can be very annoying when she wants to be.”

“Oh I know.”

“So get up, in the time you’ve been arguing, you’ve gone down to fifteen minutes.”

“Soya isn’t the only one that’s annoying.” Ville muttered.

“Mutter all you want Valo, I still heard it.”

“The only reason you’re following Soya’s orders is because you’re all a bunch of gossiping women and want to know about the week Soya spent in Westchester.”

“There is that too.” Mige laughed. “Thirteen minutes, I’m on my way there Ville.”

Before Ville could respond, he heard the dial tone, causing him to groan and fall back into his pillows. He would sleep for five minutes and spend eight getting ready, he really didn’t need another shower anyway. He thought, allowing his eyes to close and sleep to claim him.

He was once again pulled from sleep when he felt someone pull at his legs and felt himself start sliding out of bed. He grabbed at the headboard only to be yanked to the floor, the blankets he’d pulled at coming with him.

“Come on Ville, get up!” Mige laughed.

Ville fought with the blankets that he’d gotten tangled in and glared up at Mige, cursing the day he decided to give his friends a key to his house. “You really are just as annoying as Soya.”

“I’ll be nice and let you shower.” Mige grinned. “But if I find you back in bed, I’m not responsible for my actions.”

“Then who is?” Ville muttered as he started to get up.

“Don’t you know Soya’s running this show now?” Mige said. “You fall back asleep; Soya gives me instructions on what to do.”

Ville shook his head, clearly amused. “Give me ten minutes.”

Fifteen minutes later, Ville was pulling a beanie over his head and getting Mige’s car, looking longingly at his tower, before leaning his head back and closing his eyes.

“I don’t think sleeping in the car is allowed either.” Mige said.

“We’re not going to rehearse, are we?” Ville asked, turning to look at Mige who was grinning.

“No, Linde thought we should take a trip down memory lane, what with Soya being back in our lives.”

Ville sighed. “As long as we stop for coffee, I’m up for anything.”

“I’m sure Riita will be more than willing to make you a cup.”

Ville frowned then blinked in rapid succession as he thought over Mige’s words. “Are you kidding me?” Ville grinned.

“We thought it was appropriate, plus it’ll give the neighborhood kids a show. That’s even if we play.”

Ville shook his head as Mige started driving through the familiar streets. He frowned when his phone vibrated, letting him know he had a new message. Pulling it out of his pocket, he looked at text with a grin.

Did you like the wakeup call?

Not fair that you got Mige involved, he literally dragged me out of bed.

Everything is fair in the art of war

Ville snorted, causing Mige to look at him amused, while Ville texted back

I think that’s ‘All’s fair in love and war’

I like mine better, plus it’s easier taking my frustrations out on you, who woke me up, rather than the 17 year old who’s keeping me up.

Ville looked up when Mige parked the car, grinning when he saw the familiar house, the garage door up reveling Linde, Burton, and Gas as they moved things around to clear the space. He got out of the car, and not being able to help it, he took a picture of the scene as Mige went to go help. He sent Soya the picture along with the message:

I guess I can’t blame you, taking a trip down memory lane apparently beats out sleeping.

He crossed the street and smiled at his friends, greeting them, only to fall onto the couch next to Burton as Gas adjusted the drum set that Linde’s parents had apparently saved throughout the years.

“Mum just started a pot of coffee for you.” Linde laughed. “And I found this when I was up in my room just now.”

Ville looked at the white guitar that had caused all their troubles and couldn’t help but shake his head as Linde handed it to him looking down at his phone when it vibrated.

I can’t believe Riita is letting you trouble makers back in her garage. I’m off to bed Ville, Josef went and yelled at Regan; apparently he had his head phones on and didn’t hear us yelling at him. Night.

Riita loves us, and it’s definitely not the same being back here without you. He hesitated slightly before typing the next part. I miss you Soya.

Not expecting a response back he set his phone aside, only to be surprise when it started vibrating the second it hit the cushion, he opened the text, only to smile lightly, though the pang in his heart didn’t go away when he read it.

Missing you too. So much.
♠ ♠ ♠
I hope you all enjoyed this chapter! It was fun on to write, actually all of the chapter tend to be fun to write lol :-p Thank you all for the comments on the last chapter! Remember comments get you a preview!! XD

Okay, so there’s a bit of a special treat for you guys lol. Because there’s so much that I mention in the story, but sometimes there’s not enough room in the chapter to actually place the scene or it sometimes just doesn’t quite fit, I actually decided to write deleted scenes to this story :D. The first one being the interview mentioned in this chapter with Soya and Rosalind. The scene will be posted on a separate “Story” which will be up right about now lol.

Hope you all enjoyed!!! Next chapter up Saturday!

-Kassandra