Status: Complete 12/14/11

Scream Me a Dream

Chapter 83: Checkmate

Tuesday, October 19, 2010
3:30 pm


“Of all the things for you to wear to the reading of your father’s will...” Elizabeth said.

Soya rolled her eyes. “I told you, I woke up late.”

“It’s three in the afternoon Soya, I’m sure you didn’t sleep all day.”

“You’d be surprised on what I did with my day.” Soya muttered crossing her arms over her chest, hating the fact that she had to ride in the car with her mother on the way to the lawyer’s office. Like she had told her mother, she had in fact woken up late, mostly because she’d gone to sleep late.

She and Aida had fallen asleep after getting home from Anita’s, and Soya had woken up around eleven that same night, feeling horrible for not calling Ville. So she’d called, and they had spent hours talking, not going back to bed until about four in the morning. She hadn’t woken up until about two, rushed through her own shower, gotten changed in the first thing she’d come across and dropped Aida off with one of her friends.

Her outfit wasn’t bad, Soya thought, especially since she’d known the family lawyers since her youth and they could have cared less about what she wore. She had grabbed a pair of faded jeans with patches covering the knees, a light grey jersey long sleeve shirt, a black cardigan with a Heartagram over the breast, which Mige had given her, and her white converse which Ville had decided to draw Heartagrams on one afternoon.

“So, I’m not at my Sunday best.” Soya said, “I think after my father’s death I’m allowed to dress down a bit.” She looked at her mother, dressed in a black dress, still showing signs of mourning.

“Where’s your sister?”

“You care?” Soya asked with a raised eyebrow.

“Just because your father isn’t here-”

“That’s right.” Soya said looking straight at her mother. “He’s not here, he’s not here to mediate. So say whatever you want, mother, because I’ve got about 28 years worth of talking back.”

Soya watched as her mother stared back before turning away to look out at the street. Soya scoffed quietly, crossing her arms over her chest, she couldn’t quite understand herself why she’d been so afraid of her mother’s wrath. Without her father there, it was like her mother had just deflated, she had no reason to insult Soya if her father wasn’t there to approve of the comments or to mediate an oncoming argument.

She turned towards the street when she felt the car stop; she saw the office to the family lawyers’ practice. Hearing the front door open and Nate coming around the open the door, Soya stayed seated, watching her mother exit the car before she followed, pulling down her cardigan and accepting Nathan’s hand as he helped her out.

“Thank you.” She said, giving the older man a smile before following her mother into the lawyers’ office. She watched as her mother talked to the receptionist, looking around the office, her arms crossed over her chest, before seeing the receptionist smile at her and wave her into one of the offices.

“Soya! It’s good to see you again! Though I’m sorry it had to be under these circumstances; very sorry for you loss, dear.”

Soya smiled lightly, shaking the man’s hand. “It’s good to see you too, Petri.”

“How long has it been?” Petri said, waving her to sit in one of the chairs in front of the dark wood desk, next to her mother.

Soya shrugged lightly. “A good ten years, I remember you came to one of my recitals in New York.”

“Petri, with all due respect, Soya and I are both very busy, we would like to hear what Jonah said in his will.” Elizabeth said, looking at the older man.

Soya raised an eyebrow in her direction. “Really? Because I cleared my entire day for this, I’m in no rush at all.”

“Ah, actually, Elizabeth I meant to call you, you really had no need to come down today. Jonah’s will, it’s quite unconventional.”

“Unconventional?” Elizabeth asked, looking at Petri with a raised eyebrow.

“Ah, he didn’t really write a will per se.” Petri said, opening the folder in front of him. “He wrote letters to each of you, which isn’t uncommon.” Petri held out three envelopes, handing one to Elizabeth and one to Soya. “This is Aida’s; he asked that it be given to her on her sixteenth birthday.”

Soya looked at her mother, who was staring at the letter in her hands, before looking back at Petri, “I’ll take care of that one.”

“If you want I can hold on to it, contact Aida myself on her sixteenth birthday.” Petri offered, handing Soya the envelope.

“I would rather handle it.” Soya admitted. “I feel it would be more personal that way.”

“Of course.” Petri nodded. “Now, the letters, from what Jonah told me, are meant to ease you during this time, explain things he may not have had a chance to before he passed, especially with his death being so sudden.”

“Is there any official will?” Elizabeth asked.

“Ah, kind of.” Petri said, still hesitating while looking at Elizabeth. “The letters tell you exactly what you’ve gotten when it comes to the Toivonen estate and the division of the money, but…”

“But?” Elizabeth asked.

“Jonah asked that the Toivonen family home be transferred into Soya’s name.”

“What?!” Elizabeth hissed, looking from Petri to a shocked Soya. “Why?”

Petri looked down at his papers, before looking back at Elizabeth. “Because Soya is a Toivonen by blood; it was his father’s wish that the house be kept in the family. Unfortunately Elizabeth, you’re only a Toivonen by marriage, and the house can’t go to you.”

“It’s not just the house is it?” Soya asked quietly, seeing Petri’s hesitation.

“No.” Petri said with a shake of his head. “Along with the house transferring to your name, Soya, you also receive the full amount of the Toivonen fortune, the fortune that your great grandfather made.”

“What about my mother?” Soya asked looking at her mother who was staring at Petri, a mixture of confusion and shock evident on her face.

Petri rifled through the pages, before settling on you. “Your mother receives, according to Jonah, the vacation homes in Tampere, as well as the pent house in New York, Italy and France. Basically any home that Jonah acquired while married to you is yours Elizabeth.”

“But this home, my home.” Elizabeth said. “Is Soya’s.”

Petri nodded. “It wasn’t in Jonah’s will Elizabeth, it was in his father’s. The home must be kept within the Toivonen blood line. Soya and Aida are that blood line, when Soya passes, it goes to Aida or Soya’s children. I’m sorry, there’s nothing I can do.”

Elizabeth shook her head gathering her purse. “My husband dies and all he leaves me is a letter.”

Soya frowned at her. “Along with all the vacation homes, what else did you want from the man?”

My home.” Elizabeth said standing and leaving the room.

Soya sighed. “I’m sorry for my family Petri.”

“Your mother’s always been temperamental; I’m not bothered by it.”

Soya shook her head. “With the house under my name, what does that mean?”

“It means that anything in the house that belonged to your family is now yours.” Petri shrugged. “Technically, Soya, if you wanted to kick your mother out of the house, you very much could.”

“You know I wouldn’t, though.” Soya said with a shake of her head. “This letter, it explains everything?”

“According to your father; yes. Soya, Jonah, he didn’t want to write out a will, he actually groaned about it the entire time I knew him.” Petri said with a chuckle. “I finally had him write one out, and even then it’s just one sheet of paper.”

Soya laughed quietly. “What does the one sheet of paper say?”

“That everything that his father’s will stipulates still holds true even after his own death. The vacation homes go to Elizabeth, as he didn’t think you would find any pleasure in them, bank accounts are to stay the same.” Petri shrugged, though a teasing smile broke through his lips. “I finally convinced him that maybe writing letters to all of you may have been the route to go, just to give you all that closure in the event that he passed.”

“And he did.” Soya said fingering the letter.

“About two months ago.” Petri laughed. “He came in during my lunch, took a pad of paper and pen and sat in the corner.” Petri said, pointing towards the high back chair the sat in the corner of his office. “He said ‘Petri, go on with your business I’m just going to sit here and write out those letters, don’t you dare let me leave until you have all three of them’.”

Soya smiled. “How long did it take him?”

“He was still sitting there when I left for the day around seven that evening. When I came back in the morning, the three letters were sitting on my desk; I have no idea how long he sat there.”

“Thank you Petri.”

“I am very sorry for your loss Soya.”

“Thank you.” Soya said with a smile, standing up. “Is there anything I need to sign, or…”

“I’ll send you the paper work later this week.”

“All right.” Soya nodded, “Thank you again, Petri.”

“Of course.” Petri said standing and showing Soya out. Soya left the office and, as she expected, the black town car was gone. Taking her cell phone out of her pocket, she called a cab and sat on the bench outside Petri’s office, staring at the two letters in her hands, not sure if she wanted to read her father’s letter now…or ever, really.

She looked up when she saw the cab, stuffing the letters in her pocket before getting in and giving the driver the address of the house where Aida had been staying.

XxxxxxX

Ville walked into the bar his friends had invited him out to, nodding at the bartender and ordering a coke. He slid the bartender a bill and was about to take a sip, when soft hands covered his eyes.

“Guess who?”

Ville rolled his eyes moving the hands away and looking behind his shoulder. “Rose.”

Rosalind smiled. “Hey, you! Glad you came out; we’ve been trying to call you all day.”

“Turned my phone off.” Ville said, taking a sip of his coke. “I was up late talking to Soya, didn’t want annoying little Spaniards calling me at eight in the morning.”

Rosalind narrowed her eyes at him, before shaking her head, “We’re over here, hermit.”

Ville smiled, shaking his head and following her to the booth in the back of the bar where he saw his friends seated with drinks in front of them.

“Finally he shows!” Mige chuckled, causing Ville to roll his eyes as he sat next to Linde while Rosalind slid into the booth next to Jyrki.

“We called you around two, it’s…” Linde looked at his cell phone. “It’s nearly nine now; where have you been?”

“Home.” Ville said with a shrug. “Soya and I talked until late, didn’t wake up until about three this afternoon.”

“What time did you bother checking your messages?” Jyrki asked.

“About an hour ago.” Ville admitted. “I saw them when I turned my phone on…”

“But since none of them were from Soya you didn’t bother checking.” Rosalind finished with a laugh. “Where is she tonight?”

“Home,” Ville said. “I called her before coming out, she was fixing a late dinner for herself and Aida.”

“How’s she doing?” Mige asked, fiddling with one of the shot glasses on the table.

Ville shrugged. “I’m not sure, actually. I think she’s doing fine. We haven’t been able to talk, even on the phone, we skirted around the issue focusing on Aida and how she’s doing.”

Rosalind tapped her fingers on the table before looking at Ville. “Is it because she’s processing, or is it because she just doesn’t want to talk about it?”

Ville frowned as he thought about it, “I think it’s that she doesn’t want to talk about it in front of Aida, she’s trying to be strong for her sister and I think she’s been pushing back what she feels.”

“That can’t be healthy.” Linde muttered.

“It’s not.” Ville shrugged. “But I really don’t want to push this; Soya said she wasn’t going to shut me out, and I trust that she’ll come to…one of us, when she’s ready.”

Rosalind looked over at her boyfriend, who turned to her. “What?” He asked.

“I want to go over there.”

Jyrki blinked. “Lyn, I don’t think that’s a good idea.”

“Why not?” Rosalind asked. “We’ve given her the appropriate time to have to herself, I think now is the time to start banging on her door.”

“She’s with her little sister Lyn.” Jyrki said. “I think now is the time to give them space.”

Ville chuckled. “I actually like Rosalind’s idea.”

“You do?” Rosalind asked, with a raised eyebrow.

Ville nodded. “Why do you sound so surprised?”

“I expected you to tell me to back off.” Rosalind admitted.

Ville sighed. “I don’t like the idea of Soya and Aida holing up in the apartment by themselves, I know Soya was telling me that Aida may start school tomorrow again, and I just…I don’t like the idea of them by themselves right now. So yeah, I do like the idea of going over there.”

“And getting her to talk.” Linde finished.

“There is that too.” Ville chuckled. “I don’t know, I think we’re all worried about her and I think it would be a good idea just to spend time over at her place for a while.”

Rosalind smiled. “Let’s go then.” She said, downing her last shot and getting out of the booth. “We have to stop by a liquor store though.”

Ville raised an eyebrow. “Why?”

Rosalind blinked. “What better way to get someone to talk than to get them liquored up? Don’t worry Ville, we’ll get the classy Vodka.” With that said, Rosalind turned and walked out of the bar.

“Is there such a thing as classy Vodka?” Mige asked, as they stared sliding out of the booth and following Rosalind.

“To Rosalind, all Vodka is classy.” Jyrki chuckled, wrapping his arms around his girlfriend’s waist when he saw her waiting outside. “How about we hold off on the hard liquor and get something softer.”

Rosalind sighed. “Fine, wine it is.”

Ville chuckled. “Good luck getting Soya to drink it.”

Rosalind laughed as they started walking down the street towards the liquor store. “You underestimate me.”

Half an hour later, after a trip to a liquor store near Soya’s apartment, where Rosalind spent twenty minutes deciding which bottle of wine to get, they found themselves knocking on Soya’s door. The door opened, showing Soya with her hair pulled back, wearing her blue Juilliard hoodie and blue and black flannel pajama bottoms.

“Nice slippers.” Mige said looking down at the white bunny slippers on Soya’s feet.

“Thanks.” Soya said slowly. “What are you guys doing here? Not that I mind.”

“We brought wine.” Rosalind said holding up the bottle.

Soya frowned, leaning against the door jamb. “I don’t drink.”

“We thought tonight you could.” Linde said.

Soya sighed. “There’s no getting rid of you, is there?”

“No chance at all, love.” Ville teased.

“Fine, come in, but keep quiet, I just got Aida to sleep.” Soya said, opening the door wider to let her friends in. “I’m surprised there’s not more of you.” She muttered closing the door behind Mige.

“Say the word and I can make a call.” Rosalind said with a teasing grin.

“It’s fine.” Soya laughed, “But thank you, I’ll go get some glasses for you guys.”

“I’ll help.” Ville said, watching his friends sit around Soya’s living room and following Soya to the kitchen. “You okay?”

Soya nodded opening her cabinets. “I’m fine, I think, I don’t know.” She leaned against the counter looking at Ville. “I really just don’t know. I was sitting in the living room, thinking about calling you just now, seeing if you would come over.”

“Really?” Ville asked surprised, over the phone he’d gotten the feeling that Soya had wanted to be alone.

Soya nodded. “Is it wrong to say that I just really wanted one of your hugs?”

Ville chuckled walking closer and pulling Soya into his arms. “Not wrong at all.”

“Aida asked about you today.” Soya said against his chest.

“Did she?”

“She wanted to know when you’d come back, I think she needs one of your hugs too.”

Ville laughed. “I’ll make sure to give her one in the morning.”

“Glasses!” Rosalind yelled, causing Soya to wince.

“Go tell her to shut up.” Soya said with a laugh, pushing away from Ville. “I’ll bring out the glasses. Do you want water?”

“Coke if you have it.” Ville said, kissing the top of her head and leaving the kitchen to go reprimand Rosalind. Soya sighed grabbing four glasses from her cabinet, hesitating slightly at the fifth before adding it to the pile. She carefully opened the refrigerator to get Ville his Coke, cradling it in her arms and moving towards the living room.

“I see five glasses.” Mige teased.

Soya rolled her eyes as she set the glasses on the coffee table and handed Ville his coke. “Instead of teasing, why don’t you pour me a glass?”

Linde raised an eyebrow. “You’re sassy today.”

“It’s been a long day,” Soya admitted, sitting next to her boyfriend. “I haven’t even been up for most of it.”

“Did you wake up late like Ville?” Jyrki asked.

Soya laughed, nodding as she accepted the glass Linde had poured her. “Around two, then went to the lawyers’ office at three thirty.”

“Why’d you go to the lawyer’s office?” Mige asked.

“To hear my father’s will, which was more catching up with our lawyer than actually hearing the will.”

Ville frowned. “You didn’t hear it?”

Soya shrugged. “My father really didn’t write a will, he wrote us letters and there was some other stuff that got left to me that my mother wasn’t too happy about.”

“More of your grandmother’s things?” Ville asked rubbing her knee.

“More like my grandfather’s things.” Soya admitted slowly, before shaking her head and taking a sip of her wine. “I guess my mother thought she had a right to them because she married my father.”

“You disagree.” Jyrki stated watching Soya.

“I don’t know.” Soya admitted with a frown. “I don’t even know if I have a right to them.”

“If it’s what your father wanted,” Mige said. “Then you have every right to the items he left you.”

“I guess.”

“Soya, what was left to you?” Rosalind asked having a feeling that there was more to the story than what Soya was letting on.

Soya shrugged. “Just some knick knacks in the house and some money in some family accounts.” Soya lifted her shoulders again. “It’s all in the letter he left me; I haven’t read it yet though.”

“Why not?” Linde asked.

“Haven’t had time to, I got home and helped Aida catch up on some of her homework that she needs to turn into tomorrow, fixed dinner, put Aida to bed, I’ve just been busy the rest of the day. Can we change the subject? I really don’t want to talk about it anymore.”

“Do you have a chess board?” Ville stated looking at Soya.

Soya blinked looking at her boyfriend. “I do, in my room.”

“I’ll go grab it, we’ll play a game.” Ville said, setting his soda on the table and getting up to go to Soya’s room.

“How’s the wine?” Jyrki asked, watching as Soya set it on the table.

“Rosalind knows I’m much more of a Vodka girl than a wine drinker.” Soya said, smiling at her friend. “Right Rose?”

“Jyrki wouldn’t let me get the Vodka; thought we should hold off on the hard liquor.”

Jyrki laughed. “I thought it was a good idea at the time.”

Soya chuckled quietly. “If I’m going to drink, I might as well go all out; but the wine is fine, thank you.”

“Got it.” Ville said setting the chess set on the table, sitting on the floor across from Soya, causing her to slip of the couch and onto the floor as he set up the white and red pieces.

“I like your set.” Ville said, choosing the red pieces for himself.

“Josef got it for me one year for Christmas.” Soya admitted setting up her white pieces. She looked up at Mige and Linde who were talking quietly before passing them the remote for her television. “I’m sure there’s better entertainment on TV than watching Ville and I play chess.”

“Thanks.” Mige laughed, turning her television on and making sure it was on low as to not bother Soya’s sleeping sister.

“So Soya, really, how are you doing?” Rosalind asked, slipping onto the floor next to Soya.

“I’m…better I guess.” Soya said focusing on the chess game as Ville moved one of his pawns. “It’s going to take time Rose, you know that.”

“I know that.” Rosalind agreed quietly, watching Soya moving her knight. “You also know that you shouldn’t blame yourself.”

Soya nodded, grabbing her glass and taking a sip of her wine watching as Ville contemplated his move. “I don’t.”

“Good.”

Soya looked over at her friend. “I appreciate your concern for me Rose, I do, I know that your pushing is showing me that you care, and I adore you for it, but I really don’t want to talk about it.”

“All right.” Rosalind nodded.

“How long are you in town for?” Soya asked as Ville moved his bishop.

“Probably another week or so, I’m missing my Impi, but Jyrki and I were thinking of spending Halloween in Berlin.”

“That sounds nice.” Soya said, looking at Rosalind before looking at Jyrki. “I ruined your birthday.”

Jyrki frowned. “Of course you didn’t.”

“I haven’t even given you your present.” Soya said standing before looking at Ville. “No cheating.”

“I won’t.” Ville muttered staring at the board as Soya went to her room only to come back holding a package wrapped in gold paper with a large red bow topping it. “Happy belated birthday.”

Jyrki chuckled, setting his glass down and accepting the present. “Thank you Soya, you know you didn’t have to get me anything.”

Soya shrugged. “Trust me, it’s not as great as what Rosalind got you, she told me what she had planned for you.”

Jyrki stared at Soya in shock as she resumed her game of chess with Ville. “She told you what we did on my birthday?”

Soya nodded. “Sure.” She looked up at Jyrki with a frown. “You went to go see Michael Monroe at Tavastia, didn’t you?”

“Oh! That!” Jyrki laughed. “Yes, we did.”

Rosalind rolled her eyes. “I didn’t tell her that part of your birthday present.”

Mige snorted. “You did now.”

Soya blinked. “What?”

“They had sex on his birthday, your move.” Ville said, taking a sip of his coke, only to find it empty. “No cheating.” He warned getting up to go get another.

“I didn’t need to know what they did!” Soya said after him, before making her move on the board, tempted to slide one of Ville’s pieces a little to the left. Just as she was about to slide her finger to move the piece she heard the unwrapping of paper and turned to see Jyrki smiling at the movies he’d uncovered.

’Elvis: 68’ Comeback’.” Jyrki said, “And ‘Blue Hawaii’.” Jyrki laughed. “Thank you Soya.”

“I’m glad you enjoyed them.” Soya said smiling at him, as Ville sat back down and made his move. “Sorry it took so long to get them to you.”

“Soya, it’s fine, I understand. I really didn’t expect you to get me anything.” Jyrki admitted.

Soya shrugged. “I wanted to, not every day a man turns 42.”

Jyrki chuckled. “Well, thank you.”

“I have to remember to give Burton his.” Soya said absently as she moved her queen with a smirk. “Check.”

“Cheater.” Ville muttered running a hand through his hair as he contemplated his moves.

“You and Ville take chess way to seriously.” Linde muttered watching the two as they concentrated on the board.

Soya was about to respond, but turned when she heard the door to the bedroom open.

“Soya?”

“I’m in here sweetheart.” Soya called, hearing the padding of feet coming towards her, revealing Aida wearing her pink pajama pants, monkey slippers and pink night shirt with Tinkerbell front and center of the shirt.

“Ville!” Aida squealed rushing towards him and wrapping her arms around his neck.

“Hey.” Ville chuckled, settling her on his lap, deciding to sacrifice a bishop to save his king. “I thought you were supposed to be asleep.”

“Couldn’t sleep.” Aida said, before turning to her sister. “Can I play?”

Soya nodded. “Let me just…” She moved her knight and knocking down Ville’s king with a smile. “Checkmate.”

“You cheated.” Ville said amused as he started setting up the board again, Aida moving out of his lap and going towards Soya. “Do you know how to play Aida?”

“Mmhmm.” Aida said, sitting on Soya’s lap as Soya set up her side of the board.

“All right then; you go first.” Ville said, watching amused as Aida slid the pawn in front of her queen forward two spaces.

Deciding to go easy on the young girl, he moved his own pawn forward, leaning back on his hands and taking a sip of his coke, watching Aida as she looked at the board, before taking her queen and zig-zagging it across the board, knocking down his king.

“I win.” Aida said with a smile.

“Uh…” Ville frowned as his friends laughed; he looked at Soya who was hiding her smile in her sisters back. “But…”

“Really, Ville?” Linde asked with an amused lift of his brow. “You’re going to tell an eight year old she’s playing wrong?”

“Aida.” Soya chuckled, moving the pieces back. “Play right, I was the one that taught you, don’t take advantage of Ville’s kindness by cheating.”

Aida sighed. “Fine.” She moved her pawn two spaces, looking at Ville. “Your turn, can I get juice?” She asked, looking at Soya.

“Yes, I’ll go get you some.” Soya said, kissing the top of her sister’s head. “One game Aida, then off to bed you go.”

“Ok.” Aida said, looking back at an amused Ville.

“Little cheater.” Ville teased, making a move.

“Soya also taught me how to play poker.” Aida said with a grin. “We can play that next.”

“No!” Linde and Mige said, looking at the eight year old.

“No fun.” She pouted, crossing her arms over her chest.

“They just don’t like the idea of losing to an eight year old.” Ville laughed.

“How’s school going Aida?” Rosalind asked.

Aida shrugged. “It’s fine. How’s Impi? Did she come with you?”

Rosalind shook her head. “No, she stayed back home with her uncles and cousins. She misses you though.”

Aida smiled. “I miss little crazy Impi.”

Jyrki raised an eyebrow. “Little crazy Impi, I like that.”

Aida frowned as she moved her bishop. “Where’s Soya?”

Ville frowned back at her, looking around the living room before getting up. “I’ll go check on her.”

“All right.”

“No cheating Aida.” Ville said catching Aida start to move one of his pieces.

“Fine.” Aida said sitting back down. Ville shook his head as he headed to the kitchen, only to frown when he found it empty. He was about to walk back out when he noticed a glass filled with juice sitting on the counter. He picked it up, only to sigh when he saw the French doors to her dining room open.

Walking out of the kitchen, he set Aida’s juice down. “Here you go. Linde, do you mind playing with Aida?”

“Yeah, sure.” Linde nodded, taking a seat on the floor across from Aida as Ville left the living room again, heading towards the dining room. He walked through the dining room doors, leaning against the door jamb as he saw his girlfriend sitting on one of the chairs at the table, looking out towards the sea.

“Did you really crawl across your counter just to avoid being seen coming out here?” Ville asked amused.

“I did.” Soya said quietly, looking up at him. “Want to sit with me?”

Ville nodded, closing the French doors behind him before going to stand next to Soya, She moved out of her seat, letting him sit, before moving to sit on his lap, his arm coming to wrap around her waist as she hung her legs over the arm of the iron chair.

“Can we talk now?” Ville asked, “Can you tell me the truth in how you’re feeling Soya?”

Soya nodded, resting her head on his chest and playing with his fingers as they rested on her stomach. “I really don’t know how I feel about it Ville, I am telling the truth in that aspect; I’m trying hard not to feel every single thing at once.”

“It’s all-right to be confused, Soya.” Ville said softly.

“I’m angry Ville.” Soya said with a frown. “Not over my father’s death, I’ve come to terms with that.”

“Have you?” Ville asked with a raised eyebrow.

“For the most part.” Soya said with a shrug. “Realistically, there was nothing I could have done, nothing I could have done to prevent it, I did nothing to cause it; he was sick and it was his time. I am starting to come to terms with that.”

“Then, what are you angry about?” Ville asked.

“I have no right to tell my mother how to mourn,” Soya started. “For all I know this may be her way.”

“But…”

“Do you want to know how Aida found out our father had died?” Soya asked looking up at him.

“I’m guessing it’s not good.”

“She overheard me talking on the phone with her school Ville. I was giving them the reason she wouldn’t be in that day.” Soya rubbed her face tiredly. “I thought she knew Ville, my mother told me that she had been told. She ran into the room and slammed the door: it was horrible Ville.”

“I can imagine.” He whispered softly, feeling the anger himself in how Aida had had to find out.

“When we went to the house yesterday, I saw that she was having the back set up. She told me when we left the church that it was a memorial service, but I remember when my parents would set up for one of their parties, Ville; that wasn’t a memorial service at all. I just hate that this is how she chooses to act after his death.”

Ville watched her before talking quietly. “Did you think that his death would bring you closer to her Soya?”

“Would it be stupid if I said yes?”

“Not at all.” Ville said with a shake of his head. “It’s understandable, for you to want to…bond with your mother over this, to think that it would bring you closer to her.”

“I love having Aida here, don’t get me wrong, I would much rather have her here with me than in that house, I just hate how my mother went about everything.” Soya shook her head. “Today when we went to go hear the will, she was so angry over what was left to me, and it wasn’t even my father’s choice to have it left to me, it was my grandfather’s. I was so angry that she expected more out of my father, that the vacation homes and the money wasn’t enough.”

“You said he left you a letter?” Ville asked.

Soya nodded, sticking her hand in her pajama pocket and pulling out the envelope. “I don’t know if I really want to read it.” She admitted.

“What’s it meant to say?”

Soya shrugged. “Petri said that he convinced my father to write us letters to help us during this time, because my father didn’t want to write a conventional will.”

“I think you should read it.” Ville said softly, looking at the envelope that Soya held in her fingers. “Ultimately it’s up to you, but I think it would be really good for you to read it and see what your father had to say.”

Soya stared at the envelope before holding it out to Ville. “Read it to me?”

Ville hesitated. “Soya.”

“Please, I just…please?”

Ville sighed before giving a nod, Soya turning so her feet were on the floor as Ville rested his arms on either side of her on the table as he opened the letter. He took out the sheets of paper, unfolding them and smoothing them out on the table as he began to read.

Minun pikku tanssija, (To my little dancer,)

If you’re reading this, it means I’ve passed, probably much too soon for either of our likings. It also means that I’ve followed Petri’s advice to write you all letters to help you during this time. Though as I write this, our relationship is still quite a mystery to both of us, so I’m not sure how much help you’re going to need in healing after my death. I can only hope that between my writing this and you reading this, our relationship has healed.

I’m sure Petri’s already told you what you received as far as possessions go, but I’d like to explain it in my own words: My grandfather, your great grandfather, built the house you grew up in; it was his wish for the house to be kept within the family. My father, his son, received it upon his death; I received it after my father passed and now you receive the house now that I’ve passed. I’m sure Petri will fax you all the legalities of signing the house under your name, but that house is now very much yours. Your mother won’t like that, I can assure you that, but it’s not up to her to decide.

I respect my grandfather’s wish to keep it within the blood family, and I couldn’t have asked for a better and more worthy person to receive the house than you, Soya. I know that the house is filled with the bad memories I know I contributed to, but I only hope you can start fresh and make happy ones in there.

Along with the house, you also receive the rest of my mother’s jewelry that I wasn’t able to give you and some other little trinkets she left you; Petri is responsible for giving those to you. You now also have control of the Toivonen family money. Petri, again, has all that paperwork for you to sign.

I know I haven’t been the best father, Soya, I’m sure we’ve talked about this before, but I want you to know that no matter what I’ve said in the past, I am proud of every single one of your accomplishments and will forever be proud of anything you decide to do in the future. I love you pikku tanssija, don’t ever doubt that.

-Pappa


Ville frowned as he scanned the papers beneath the letters. “Soya.” Ville said quietly. ”I think your father bought that lot next to your studio.”

He looked down when he felt her shake, only to find her face hidden in her hands as she cried. Papers forgotten, he wrapped his arms around Soya and held her as she cried.

This is what I was waiting for.” He admitted. “This is what I was expecting.”

“He promised me years Ville.” Soya choked out, “Years.”

“I know sweetheart, I know.”
♠ ♠ ♠
Outfits for Soya and Aida

I swear, this is the last depressing chapter for a while! Promise!!! lol. The next set of chapters are chapters that i've been looking forward to writing since i started this story, a lot of the reason happens to be due to the conversations that Ville and Soya have, as well as moments of clarity for both of them that lead to huge leaps in their relationship. You guys can interpret that any way you want :P

Hope you all enjoyed this chapter!!! I am a bit more ahead, 3 1/2 chapters ahead to be exact, so there is a preview for all of you awesome people that leave comments, and a chapter on Monday!!! Woot!!

-Kassandra