CRACKED

DAY TWENTY TWO, EARLY DAWN

Image

DAY TWENTY-TWO, EARLY DAWN

Thunk, thunk, thunk.

The metal embeds itself in the bark of the tree again and again while I attempt to ward off my impending frustration. Hitting the same spot every time I eventually make a hole so deep I can fit my finger all the way inside.

Daniel still sleeps under the rocky overhang, tossing and turning fitfully. Secretly, I hope he rolls into the fire. Well, maybe not so secretly, as all I have is the bark of this tree to prevent me from using him as target practice.

I can’t think of a plan. The thought plagues my mind as I send the knife driving home over and over and over again. I’m stuck in the wilderness with limited food, little water, a dead weight to drag along, with no plan, and no instinct except that of fleeing.

You’ve really done it this time, Meggy. I say aloud, not caring if the squirrels hear my frustration. I let out an angry laugh and get up to pace.

There is no reason to view this as a negative thing. Lexington is going to smarten up one of these days and give me the death penalty. Moving on is the right thing to do. Daniel can be killed off quickly and left in these woods, and then all I have to do is fend for myself.

That being said, I now have to come to terms with what I want. What have I always wanted?

To murder, to steal, to manipulate. Those are my driving forces. The very essences of my being. I play a dangerous game, one, I might add, I am very good at. What if I were to play it uninhibited? Without law enforcement or asylum stints interfering?

Impossible, one of the voices whispers. But is it really? Large cities have large police departments for a reason. If I were to go to a city larger than even Lexington, the crime rate would be so astronomical that a few missing hookers wouldn’t even tip off suspicion.

As the marvelously wonderful idea begins to form in my head a dangerous smile plays on my lips. I can’t believe I’ve never thought of this before.

With that I skip over to Daniel’s sleeping form. Wake UP! I screech, kicking him in the ribs for good measure.

Meg, He coughs and splutters, what’s going on?

You know Danny boy, I grow tired of your incessant questions. You see, I’m a very busy woman and I haven’t got all day to answer your inane, idiotic interrogations. So, because I believe in circumstantial learning, we’re going to play a little game.

He visibly pales. What kind of game?

Oh just hide and seek. It’ll teach you how to be quiet. Because if I find you once- I cut out your tongue. If I find you twice, well then it’s your eyes that go. And, if your stupid enough to lose a third time, I get to kill you. I flash him a glittering smile of malice.

He swallows once and takes a deep breath, closing his eyes. And if I win?

I laugh, cold, resonating, and feral. You won’t. I yank him up to a standing position by his hair. Now start running.
♠ ♠ ♠
I'm demented. I love this chapter.

What do you think of the new layout?

Subscribe and comment, please.

Love<3 ..mockingbird..