Status: Complete.

I Want You to Live

Epilogue

Four Years Later

Peyton,

I'm struggling with where to even begin. How do you put into words every single emotion you're feeling? I have so much to say, but no idea how to say it. This will be the last words you ever hear from me, and I'm struggling to write them. How do you say goodbye?

If you're reading this, then you already know I'm gone. I'm sorry. I guess that's the first thing I want to tell you. I'm not sorry for the sacrifice I made. I do not regret my decision to serve my country. I'm sorry for leaving you. I'm sorry for not having more time. Most of all, I'm sorry for not being able to grow old with you.

Ty must still be alive. Otherwise, you wouldn't have this. Good. You need each other. I would've died for him, you know. Maybe I did. Tell him I love him and thanks. Thanks for one hell of a ride over the years.

Tell dad I love him. I'm glad we had the chance to make amends. Thank you for that.

I love you. God, I love you so much that there aren't words. Have you ever had a moment where everything lined up just right and it all clicked? That was you. You were that moment. You were everything I never knew I was missing.

It might seem unfair what little amount of time we had, but I'm satisfied. We lived a lifetime love in the short years we spent together. They were the best years of my life.

Lastly, I want to ask something of you. This might be the end of our story, but don't let it be the end of yours. You have the rest of your life ahead of you. Make it into everything you want it to be. Don't be scared to find someone else. I want you to fall in love again, Peyt. Make someone else as happy as you've made me.

With All My Heart And Soul,
Rusty


Peyton wiped the stray tear from her eye. Four years later and her heart still broke every time she read his last letter. Gently, she placed it on the soft grass next to her and traced his name in the stone.

Laughter pulled her away from her misery and she watched her young daughter leaping through the wildflowers. Her auburn hair spilled down her back in messy curls. Peyton laid her head on her knees and watched the innocence of her child. Hope blossomed in the hole left behind by Rusty.

As she watched the child frolic, her thoughts wandered to Ty. They always did on the rare occasions she read Rusty's letters or looked through their old photographs. He had left shortly after Rusty's death and she never heard from him again. It was still a sore spot for her, but she knew everyone grieved in their own way. She only hoped he was doing well.

Mackenzie's movements came to a halt as her eyes fixated on something past Peyton. Curious, she turned to look. She squinted her eyes against the setting sun, seeing a tall figure silhouetted. At first glance, she assumed it was Lincoln. Upon further inspection, she realized it wasn't.

"Ty," she whispered.
♠ ♠ ♠
There it is, people! Thank you so much for everyone that has read and subscribed, and thank you to my commenters! It only took me five years, but I'm so proud that I finally finished a story. Stay on the look out for my new story, hopefully coming soon. A sequel is most likely in the future, too. Thanks again and love you all! <33

Listen.