Princess is No Name I Deserve

Chapter 2 - Dating is a Dangerous Game

Jason left, still scolding my foolishness as he closed the door. My forehead resting on the cold wood of the door, I realized how stupid it was of me to let someone in just because of a similar voice and knowing my real name.

I gave up thinking about it. I've done plenty of other foolish things in my life. What's one more added to the list? At the top of the list would probably my relationship with Stephan. While he was a very sweet guy, at first, it took months before I realized he was the one who'd been leaking my life secrets to the press. Jason showed me so many times, but I never believed him. I tried to convince myself, "There are so many mosquitoes, who's to say they didn't catch me picking my nose?" or whatever the story was about. After so many things got out, I tested him. I told him, "You know how you're always saying I need to put on some weight?" He was always asking how much I ate. My mom and I eat the same thing, and we're both naturally skinny. It wasn't an eating disorder, but I knew that's what he was wanting me to tell him. "I'm bulimic. I just feel like the only way to make my mom and everyone else happy is to be skinny," I lied.

Of course, Stephen hugged me and told me I was perfect how I was. Now and then he'd ask for details, but for the most part, it was forgotten. Until the new gossip magazines hit news stands.

"PRESSURED TO BE MODEL THIN" screamed the cover of one magazine with a picture of me poking at my stomach looking disgusted. "Following in Her Mother's Shadows" "Never Thin Enough" He'd told every magazine who would listen. Now everyone thought I had an eating disorder.

What was worse was, unlike with anorexia, a picture of me with a cheeseburger in hand would not help the rumors go away. It would only make them worse. Something like, "We knew she ate like a pig, now we know how she keeps the fries off her thighs." Perhaps something even more ridiculous.

I suppose it goes without saying I dumped him. It only made things worse though. Worse rumors hit. Like rumors I was pregnant. Since there were pictures of him and I together, he was established as my boyfriend. For a long time, anything he said about me would be taken as fact. I had to start my own blog to dispell rumors.

When that didn't help, I went to one of the dreaded magazines letting them know that the eating disorder rumors were a test of a "friend" and that I couldn't be pregnant. I joked, "As rich as my mom is, I don't have to worry about getting pregnant. I could pay someone to shrink down and live in my vagina and destroy any sperm that would come near my eggs." I got a lot of weird looks, but when I didn't get any bigger the rumors died. Occasionally, someone would claim I got an abortion.

Over a year has passed since then. Still, it hurts me. I feel like anyone I date will know about my mother and that's all they will want from me, either to be like my mother or to get facts about my mother. So help me, the next time I hear "MILF" I will castrate someone with a seam ripper.