Princess is No Name I Deserve

Chapter 3 - New Friend?

When my mom isn't home, I spend a lot of my time chatting with people online. I'm not completely antisocial. It's good to have someone to talk to once in a while. It's good to have something to vent about. I just have to change my story around. If I'm complaining about the paparazzi, I'll usually say it's a kid at school spreading rumors or hassling me. If I'm complaining about missing my mom, I just say that she went on a business trip. Still, I need people to talk to.

I get on a website that lets you talk to random people. If you get bored, you just press next and it finds someone else looking for someone to chat with. Pretty simple. It's text only, unlike some other ones. I considered using some video ones, but after the first "show your tits" I'd get so pissed. If someone were to say, "You look just like Princess Haywood" or "You look like that one model's daughter" I'd have to feel complimented or something, when really I hate that I look like that model's daughter. I hate that I am that model's daughter. I love my mom, but I don't like the life that her work has given us.

Stranger has entered the conversation.

Stranger: Hey
Me: Hi.
Stranger: Where are you from?

A lot of people ask that. "Where are you from?" Apparently, it's a conversation starter. At first, it was hard to think of somewhere that wouldn't make people ask a lot of questions. So now, I stick to a small town almost no one has even heard of.

Me: Nixa, Missouri
Stranger: Where is that?

Exactly.

Me: Well, it's in Missouri, which is kind of in the middle of the United States. It's a small town. Not much here, really. What about you?
Stranger: Charlotte, NC
Me: Cool, cool.

After a few seconds went by, I didn't really have anything to add. I know nothing about Charlotte.

Stranger has left the conversation.

It doesn't take long for people to get bored with me. I rarely find someone to stay in contact with. Even then, I only talk to them for a week or so before they stop answering my E-mails or instant messages.

It's hard to make up an interesting or believable "normal" life when all you've known or are able to remember is being stalked by mosquitoes, having your picture taken against your will, rumors started about you, or hearing how amazing your mother is all the time.

[Stranger has entered the conversation]

Stranger: m/f?
Me: f u?

If they use chat speak, I use chat speak. It makes me seem more normal to them, I guess.

Stranger: m age?
Me: cool 17
Stranger: haha u date older guys
Me: i guess ya
Stranger: who much older

I ignore that he mistook "who" and "how" and went along, hungry for someone to talk to.

Me: uh idk y
Stranger: measurements
Me: i dont think i shud tell u
Stranger: cmon plz it wont hurt
Me: so how old are you
Stranger: 39

You have left the conversation.

Yeah. There were a lot of perverts on here too. At least they don't say "tits or gtfo" like they do on video though.

Stranger has entered the conversation.

Me: Hey
Stranger: Sup?
Me: Bored.
Stranger: That's why we're here right?
Me: lol Exactly.
Stranger: So where do you call home?
Me: Nixa, MO You?
Stranger: New York City. I'm looking for a record deal and NYC was a lot closer than LA to my hometown.
Stranger: So how old are you?
Me: 17
Stranger: A young one I see.
Me: Oh. How old are you?
Stranger: 20
Me: You aren't that much older.
Stranger: I didn't say I was. We're both young.
Stranger: I mean, if someone is 90, they can still say an 85 year old is old, right?
Me: True.
Me: What kind of music do you play?
Stranger: Punk rock, baby!
Me: That's cool. I like Green Day.
Stranger: We're nothing like them. It's complicated.
Me: Oh. Sorry.
Stranger: Sorry for what?
Me: I don't know... It just seemed like what I should say at a time like this.

Did I piss them off? I always seem to say the wrong thing.

Stranger: You got nothing to be sorry about. You never heard us. How were you supposed to know?
Me: Yeah I guess.
Stranger: What's your name?
Me: Letta.

Star was a weird name. Princess was even weirder. Letta was strange, but it didn't sound so fake.

Stranger: lol Seriously?
Me: Yeah... Why?
Stranger: Nothing... It's just really similar to my name.
Me: How so?
Stranger: My name is Veta.
Me: Seriously?
Stranger: See!
Me: They are similar...

I went along with it, not giving her my actual name, which would have trumped her in the "weird name" contest.

Stranger: Well, I have to go.

Great. I was being left again... I probably made her uncomfortable.

Stranger: But if you want, we can exchange instant message screen names.

Maybe not. Maybe I'll have a real friend for once.

Me: That'd be really cool! :)
Stranger: padlox on YIM
Me: IHateMosquitoes
Stranger: Doesn't everyone?
Me: I think I hate them a little more than everyone else...
Stranger: I guess we'll just have to find out.
Stranger: I added you.
Stranger: See you. Bye.

Stranger has left the conversation.