Princess is No Name I Deserve

Chapter 6 - A Large Apple

The last favor my mother did for me was get my disguise ready. Normally, I would never agree with the extremes I went to, but for me to be free, I'd have to go with it. Let me just say, the easiest part was the color contacts and I spent a few weeks in a resting facility.

Mom paid for it all. That and a couple thousand dollars to get a start with. She let me know that if I needed more, she'd help me any way she could. Right now, the best way to help me would be to just leave me alone.

The plane ride was boring. I demanded she let me be in coach. I needed to get used to this boring life. I had to live as the people around me would. From the time I got on the plane on, I am Letta Marie DeMello. No longer Princess Starlette Haywood.

I talked to Veta before leaving, telling her I had to sort some things out with my landlord before I could go, which was really just giving my face time to heal. She would be waiting for me at the airport on whatever day it was I chose, she assured me. She sent me a picture of herself so I knew who I'd be looking for.

The ride was boring. Nobody even talked to me. Which was nice. It was a definite change. I'd been so used to at least one person coming up to me asking where they'd seen me before. Now it was nothing. Now lovely.

I listened to music I had downloaded most of the light. Most of it was inspirational. Music about starting over. Or music telling motherfuckers to keep their distance. Either way, I sat there, listening, keeping a poker face so no one would pay any attention to me. I think I could get used to this. I really do.