Status: Back home, back to work!

How Cliche to Have My Heart Stolen

Chapter 13 - A Realization in Love

Matt stormed in the roomed into the room, throwing the door into the wall hard enough there was sure to be a hole. "You better fix this now," he told me, his finger pointing right between my eyes. "Luke, get your ass in here."

With his hand between Luke's shoulder blades, Carl shoved him forward.
"I don't want to right now," Luke complained.

"Am I going to have to treat you like little kids?" Matt threatened.

Luke sat on the edge of the bed where I lay, not budging.

"Fine." Cocking a handgun, Matt demanded, "Now. Hug each other."

Without a word, Luke and I quickly clung to one another, for the sake of our lives. I kind of began to wonder if this was how Matt raised his son, pointing a handgun at him instead of having him in time out.

"That's better." Lowering the gun, but still keeping it ready, he said, "Now talk it out. I'm not going to continue to have you two threatening our jobs and our freedom."

Luke spoke first. "You kissed my uncle. Right in front of me. How was I supposed to react?"

I admitted, I would have reacted in a similar manner if he'd kissed a relative of mine. "I felt that it would save my life," I tried to explain. "I swore he was going to kill me. I was being unselfish... I was putting my own opinions aside so that you wouldn't be without me. I'd like to think I mean at least something to you."

"You do, which is why it hurts me so much."

We were still hugging each other, when it hit us, we both hated what I did, but why we hated it was because we cared about each other so much. If he didn't care, that would have been the problem. If he was fine with it that would mean that I didn't matter at all to him. We hugged each other for real this time. I moved my head to fit right under his chin, holding him around his stomach tightly. "I'm sorry," I finally said. "I really, really am. I didn't want to hurt
you. I hoped this would hurt you less than losing me."

"I'm sorry," he said. He finally admitted he was just as wrong as I was, or at least close. "I was afraid I was losing you to someone else. At least if you died, you'd be mine and no one else's ever."
♠ ♠ ♠
The chapter is very short, but it's a major thing and felt this was a good place to end it.