Status: Back home, back to work!

How Cliche to Have My Heart Stolen

Chapter 20 - A Smoothie Family

After hours of driving, we finally reached a real estate building. "We're going to need a place to live," Matt explained. "This is both a legit real estate business, but this is also how they know how many made men and accomplices are in the area."

Walking along the sidewalk, there was a woman in a pinstriped pantsuit waiting for us. "Nice to have you finally here," she said, stepping back holding the door open for us.

Only Matt, Rachel and I came in. Lalean, Luke and Carl stayed behind. "We just need to make sure they recognize you guys," Matt told us. He took the first of two seats in front of a desk.

The blonde pant suited woman brought an extra chair before sitting behind the desk pulling herself up to a keyboard.

Rachel and I exchanged looks before giving into custom and taking our own seats. The seats barely gave way at all. The entire office was kept up. No dust could be seen on the framed pictures of the agents notarized for their great sales. Several pictures of the woman and a small child decorated the desk, there were no smudges on the glossy covering. It was eerily tidy.

"My name is Angela," she said, offering her hand to each of us individually. "So you're wanting to take residence in our little slice of heaven?"

"That's the plan," Matt's voice actually cheerful. "We need something with at least four bedrooms."

"Okay, who are we having? Just so we know in case there are any people who are around that shouldn't be?" Her cuffed hands hovered over the key board.

"It'll be me, Lalean, Carl and Luke, they're in the car. Then there's Rachel," he pointed to Rachel, "and Brodie," his thumb shot toward me.

Her fingers sped over the keys, pausing after each time she hit the return key. "We have a great place that is near the high school," she paused, "assuming you'd want them to go to the public school?"

"Yeah, that's fine," Matt's indifference shown through. "I'm just sick of staying in the van."

"I remember you telling me of the issues you had," Angela smiled. Apparently, she was very used to having people bring their kidnappees along? "With Rachel, are you going to trust her or would you like a house that has at least one bedroom with no windows and a door that locks from the outside?"

"Actually, I already told her that she will be murdered if she runs off again. At this point, she knows. I'm going to let the neighbors know they have my permission to kill her."

Matt was finally at the end of his rope with her. It was totally crazy to see him talk about it so calmly. I suppose for a man who has killed so many people it would be second nature. If you consider the multiple lives he's taken, it's a wonder Rachel is still breathing. His patience with her is almost admirable.

"Now," Angela stood from her chair, "Would you like to ride with me or how would you like to see the house?"

Matt suggested, "We'll follow. I don't think your car is big enough for all of us."

"Of course."