Status: Back home, back to work!

How Cliche to Have My Heart Stolen

Chapter 6 - Vulnerable

When my eyes fluttered open, I found myself huddled in the corner, my arms wrapped around myself. I realized, just then, how good it felt to have circulation in my arms. I pumped my fingers in and out of a fist, enjoying the blood flow. I rose to a sitting position, resting the weight of my body on a hand planted firmly at my side. Looking to where Rachel slept last night, I saw a lumpy mass. Assuming it was Rachel, I left it at that. Looking for Skeezebo, I didn't see him by the door. I thought about looking for him for a brief moment, then wondered if they would assume I was trying to escape. I called out, "Matt? Carl?" I didn't hear anything. I walked just to the door and tried again, "Matt?" He seemed to be logical. I hoped if I called for him, he would realize I wasn't trying to escape. No one answered. I called louder, "Carl?!"

Mumbles came from the sleeping bag I thought Rachel was in.

"Carl? Is that you?" I questioned.

"Who else would it be?"

Instinctively, I worried for Rachel. "Where's Rachel?"

My heart stopped for a brief moment when he said, "She tried to runaway."
How could she be so stupid!?

"Matt and Lalean are hunting her down. If she runs too much longer, Matt's gonna get fed up and kill her." Skeezebo sat up and rubbed his eyes. "But how are you feeling, Sugar?"

"I've been better..." I stood in the doorway, leaning into the wooden door frame. My forearm shielded my face. Hot fluid seeping past my eyelids. How could she just run away and leave me? And to be so stupid too.

"Aww, don't cry now. It'll be okay." Skeeze walked up to me and put his hand on my shoulder lightly. "It'll be okay... I'm--I'm sure they'll find her and they'll just bring her back? Okay?" I could tell he really didn't believe it either. Still, when he moved his hand to the center of my back, and pulled me closer I didn't fight back. I cried in his arms. I felt that vulnerable.

I can't tell you how long I stood there, crying, in Skeezebo's arms. But eventually, I heard a loud thud and looked to see Rachel, dirty, clothes torn, on the floor. There were leaves in her hair, a matted mess. She pushed herself off the ground.

Matt rose a gun at her.

Both of them huffed as they stared eachother down.

I raced to stand between the gun and her. "Please don't."

What. The. Fuck. What am I doing?! This is insane!

"Get out of the way, Brodie. She knew what would happen if she ran and she did," Matt said, mute of emotion.

"I know she shouldn't have run," I admitted. "But, I really don't think I'll be able to stay here without her."

"What are you saying, you'll try to run off if we kill her?" he accused.
"I'm saying..." What was I saying? "I've put up with a lot of stuff for her sake. If she's gone, I won't be so obedient."

"Dad," Luke's voice was low. "Just... One more chance, please?" Looking to his dad, his eyes pleaded with him. "I'm sure she's learned her lesson."

Lowering the gun, Matt said, "Fine, one more chance."

"If she does it again, I'll kill her slowly," Lalean added, with an almost proud tone in her voice.

"Thank you," Rachel whispered to me.

I helped her gain her composure.

"One problem, girlies," Skeeze said. "We have no real food with us. Or showers. Or fresh clothes for the girls."

Matt suggested, "Lalean will take them shopping for clothes. We'll go out of the area where hopefully no one will recognize either the girls or Lalean. Lucas will get us food."

"And for showers?" Luke added.

"There's a stream down the way," Skeeze said. "I can watch over Babycakes and the runner." He grabbed me and held me in a side-by-side hug.

"It's still early." Lalean mentioned, "If we leave now, we can drive out of state, get the food and clothes and get a hotel room so we won't have to use a stream."

"We'll do that then," Matt finalized. "Everone get your bags. We're heading out."