Status: Back home, back to work!

How Cliche to Have My Heart Stolen

Chapter 8 - Thieves and Thespians

Luke went into the tall, grey building to get the hotel rooms. Lalean helped me and Rachel put on disguises while Matt and Carl disguised themselves with a bald cap, eye patch, and fake grey facial hair. Apparently, Matt is quite good at looking and pretending to be elderly. He even knew how to apply makeup into looking like wrinkles. It was pretty amazing; I was kind of impressed.

Snapping in my face, Lalean called attention back to her. She forced my head to look straight at her. "Don't move. I'm trying to find what fits your face best." Holding small pieces of metal in her hand, one by one she held them up to different parts of my face. With my wig already on, makeup that made me look tanner than I was, I was ready for the final touch: fake piercings. If I were pierced now, they would all be swollen and it'd be obvious they were recent, so there'd be no point, Lalean had explained to me earlier. "These magnets work much better for the time being."

I held as still as possible as she gripped my upper lip, placing the back magnet against my inner-lip on the left side. The top magnet was incredibly strong and I wasn't able to get it to move, even pushing it around with my tongue.

"One more," she promised.

She pulled apart two curved magnets and motioned for me to lean forward. I was taken aback when I felt the pressure on my septum. My nose wiggled trying to get used to the feeling. It was hard, but I managed to avoid the urge to sneeze.

Lalean sized up Rachel's face the same way she did me.

"Put one on her nose too!" I said.

"No way," Lalean huffed. "That'd be too obvious. Besides, your bone structure and hers is totally different! What looks good on you is shit on her." She paused. Realizing how mean it sounded she said, "No offense, Rachel."

Skeezebo and Matt got done with their varying disguises and watched as Lalean finished getting ready herself. She allowed herself to look like a mother in her late forties. She made laugh lines stand out and made a more fuller eyebrow. A tight black bun completed the look, saving the lilac wig for another time.

All of us finished, Skeezebo was the first to get out. He held a hand for me to step out of the van. Reluctantly, I took it. My long black shirt fluttering in the wind, I almost tripped before I was able to place one foot on the concrete. Successfully, Lalean, Rachel and Matt were able to get out without issue.

The back story, should anyone ask, was Skeezebo and Lalean, the parents of two "rebellious" girls were taking their father (played by Matt) who was sick on the last vacation before he went in for surgery to remove tumors from his brain--a risky surgery he may not survive.

Lalean held Matt's arm like a daughter would hold up her elderly father as he walked. They were convincing. Now I was beginning to question every old couple I'd ever seen. Weird.

As we walked toward the rooms Luke informed us we had before we'd begun getting ready, a bell boy stopped us, talking to Matt, he said, "Excuse me, sir, can I help you get a room?"

"Listen here, S-Sonny... I don't need none of yer help. I fought in 'Nam and won't let you put me in a nursing home!" Matt, without missing a beat, said.

"Dad," Lalean playfully shook her head. "He works here. He's not trying to take you anywhere except to our rooms."

"Grandpa" just scowled in response.

"Sorry about that. He's sick mentally and swears we just want to put him in a home," she explained.

If nothing else, being around these people would qualify me for an Oscar if I could do as well as they did. I was in on the lie and even I thought they were telling the truth.