Holding On

Not A Kid


Ever since young Anna had moved in with Jack, she hadn’t gone to a proper school. And because of this, she was gaining an uneasy feeling in her stomach. Her thoughts constantly telling her that she’s to stupid for Jack. But, she can’t go to school, and keep a low profile. So, in order for her to even learn anything, she has to ask Jack. And, if he has the time, he’ll teach her some things from his educational books that he had laying about.

While Anna waited on Jack to return home from work, something had caught Jack’s eye. On a stand filled with magazines, newspapers, and ads, Jacks found an article with Anna’s face, surrounded by other kids with bold letters over their heads. MISSING’ with the son-of-a-bitch’s father’s contact information below the picture of Anna’s face. Scowling at this fact, Jack paid the merchant 50 cents for the paper, and tucked it into his coat. He would have just taken it, like any other time before, but he had promised Anna he wouldn’t steal again… though, there were a few things he took, and kept from her..

It didn’t take long for Jack to return to the place he called home. That is when Anna had emerged from the kitchen. She was probably cleaning up again. Trying to keep the house nice and tidy as a 1950's housewife would do before her husband comes home. When he was in her midst’s, a bright smile came to her lips. When Jack saw this, he felt the corner of his lips raise as he returned the smile.

“Jack, I want to ask you something.” Anna spoke in a soft voice.

“Shoot” Jack had smirked, laying the paper he had bought face down on a near by coffee table, making his way over to a worn out couch to sit down upon.

“I was wondering… If.. Maybe you could… Teach me some stuff…” The words were shaky. It was obvious that she was afraid to even ask him. But to keep her self from showing how nervous she really was, she played with the end of her shirt, making her way over to sit opposite of him.

“What would you like me to teach you?” he chuckled in his slightly deep voice.

Anna took a deep breath, “Algebra… Biology, Chemistry.. Trigonometry, English… You know.. Those kinds of stuff..”

“You want to do school work?” he raised his eyebrows, showing that he was curious, “I mean…All those things are High School educated junk you’re talking about. Way too advanced for your age.”

“So will you…?” she pressed on.

Jack only shook his head and grinned his famous smirk, “Alright, but.. Maybe we should start you off on PRE-Algebra and regular Science before we get onto the harder stuff. Okay?”

Anna was overjoyed. And to show her excitement , she jumped from her spot on the couch, and tackled him down with a bear hug. Laughing, Jack pats her back lightly, and kindly asks her to let go of him. Nodding, Anna did so, her eyes now looking over to the paper that Jack had placed upon the coffee table. It had her curious, and she went to grab it. That came to an end when Jack suddenly ripped the paper away from her quickly.

“What’s the matter?” She chuckled lightly, but yet, still confused.

Jack knew he couldn’t hide it from her for long. She already knew that she would be on papers as a missing child. But, to know that whoever spots her, and immediately calls her father, worries Jack terribly. Especially the cops dragging his sorry ass to the county jail, and being thrown behind bars! Anna gave him something to smile about. She might have been a bit of a pain sometimes, but she’s a smart young girl, and knows how to take care of herself while Jack is away at work.

Giving a light shake of his head, Jack instantly changed the subject, he didn’t want to dwell on it for long, “Well, I guess we can start on Monday. Every week except the weekends. we’ll have ‘Class’ from 5PM to 8 PM. Since I work and all. And Weekends, I’ll assign you homework.”

“But I’m always home, Jack!” She informed him.

Jack smiled, “Okay, fine. It’s just work.”

“You’re so weird.” she giggled.

“You’re weird! Most kids don’t want to do school work!”

“Well, I’m not a kid!” she had protested.

“Fine…” He rolled his eyes, setting the paper back onto the coffee table, now making his way to the kitchen. “Woman..” he muttered under his breath.

Anna too, rolled her eyes, and quietly squealed to herself on the couch, kicking her legs, and then, getting up to turn on the T.V. the air now being pierced with the sound of voices humming from the set. She walked back to the couch, and sat back down, allowing her foot to tap on the edge of the coffee table. Her curious eyes then looked back to the paper, the want of know what was on the page still burning within her small frame. Why would Jack keep it from her? Curiously she picks up the paper, and looks to the front page. An old man celebrating his 100th birthday? No.. That wasn’t it. It was on the right side of the paper where there were other kids youngest at 4 and oldest at 17, along with Anna that were ‘missing’. It had everything. Listing their physical appearances, birth date, when they were last seen, and contact information.

When her eyes scanned her missing ad, she ran across her father’s contact information, everything had just stopped. All that could be heard was her heartbeat thumping up against her eardrums. In a furious motion, she ripped the piece out of the paper, and ran up the stairs to hide the paper under her mattress.

Jack had heard her stomping feet on the stairs, wondering what the rush was.. Shrugging it off, he pulled out a box of Lucky Charms, and poured himself a bowl and retrieved the milk from the large cool Jack had bought.

Anna returned from her room, and walked into the kitchen, grabbing a box of cereal, she made herself a bowel as well. Her features were slightly paler then usual. This concerned Jack considerably, wondering if anything had scared her.

But she still managed to smile at him.
♠ ♠ ♠
So sorry I didn't update sooner!!
I'll try and keep up.

COMMENTERS:
MentalMasturbation
Mckaela Haner
Shadow's Gate
Brooklynn Marie
jokie
xx; Ignorance
DaniBaby
Catharine.
serinitycelene
Escape.My.Fate
Strange Lifestyles
starbella
XxbrokensoulxX
ThereAre666Ways2Love
ChasingMemories
Cutie 0.0 Cucumber
Bunny-on-Drugs
Angelofhellsfire
Xxsk8tersrockXx
XahhaxRey
I Am Vengeance 6661
Pamela Pandemic
Musicislife89
ItEndsTonight
xXxpeebeejayxXx
Death_to_Roses
wolfprincess1995
lost.in.time
melmelzie
for_the_love_of_me
zipzapzach
HPfreak101
jokerislife
yoshballzonya
Fairy K
Haner's Harlot.
hopewillfall
Meres
LuvSick987
gymnstgril


Thanks for supporting! :]