Holding On

Devil in a Suit

“Please Jack?!” She begged.

“No.” he spoke in a stern voice.

“Please?! I swear, nothing will happen! It'll just be for a little bit. Pleease?!” Whined Anna.

“I said no Anna!” Jack yelled at Anna, as the almost 13 year old jumped a bit from his tone. He sighed then pinched the bridge of his nose in frustration. “It's too risky.”

“It's not
that risky! I can wear my hoodie and--”

“I said no! Now stop arguing with me!!” He snapped, cutting her off. Anna back down, “Do you want your ass to get dragged all the way back to whatever hellhole you've been living in?! Huh?! Is
that what you want?!!?”

Anna didn't say anything. She averted her eyes to the floor as Jack ran his hand through his hair then stomped his way towards the front door.

“I'm going to work.” He informs before slamming the door behind him.

Anna stood there for awhile before sitting on the arm of the couch, sulking.



When Anna came upon the streets, she noticed everything was different then how it was at night. At night, there were a lot of thugs, drunks, and perverts out. But during the day, there were business people talking on their phones while holding a cup of coffee with the other, there were people working at small stands with newspapers or hotdogs. As she walked down the sidewalk, avoiding bumping into anyone that walked by. She kept her hood up in case anyone recognized her. Anna found every building, every person, every car fascinating. She never really got out much, she was always cooped up in the house. Weather it was with Jack or her Dad.

Once she thought of Jack; she felt slightly guilty. She shook it off and continued walking down the sidewalk. Anna was stopped by a delicious smell of pastry goods. She went over to the stand and found herself in front of some donuts. Chocolate sprinkles, jelly, anything she could think of was there. Anna had no money so all she could do was stare at them.

“You want something little girl?” asks the large man in the booth.

“No thank you...” Her voice was so quiet that the man almost couldn't hear her. But another did. When Anna turned to leave, she bumped into that other man. “Sorry.”

“Not a problem, miss.”

The voice sent chills up Anna's spine. She knew exactly who it was that she just spoke to. She looked up at the man in a nice black suit, just to confirm it. It was her Dad. He mischievously grinned at her, trying to get a better look at her face. She saw this then quickly turned around and began walking back the way she came from. She tried to keep calm and not run to make a scene. Her heart began hammering harder against her chest as she glanced back to find him following her, keeping his distance but keeping his eye on her. Fear rushed through her, the joy of being out was completely gone. She should have listened to Jack. She was a stupid brat for going behind his back.

She picked up the pace and noticed he did as well. Her breathing became heavy, and her hands were damp and she could hear her heart pounded in her ears. A large crowd of people came her way as she weaved around, losing him and running around the corner of the street. She looked checked behind her to see him pass by the last few people before she was pulled into a nearby alley. Anna was about to scream but was cut off by an angry 15 (soon to be 16) year old boy.

Anna couldn't speak as Jack glared at her. “What the hell do you think your doing?!” he yelled in a hushed tone.

“Jack I-”

“What did I tell you?! Dammit, Anna! Why won't you listen?!”

“Jack, please.” She started crying while glancing behind her to see if he was there.

“What? What's the matter?” He began to worry as she pushed by him and hid behind a bunch of boxes that were stacked in the alley.

“Excuse me?”

Jack turned around to face an older man, that looked about 40. He grinned at the young blonde teenager as he looked behind him in the alley.

“I'm wondering if you could help me?” he asks in an very loose German accent, he was tan and had light brown hair with gray hair on the sides. He had a round nose and a strong chin. He seemed like a very intelligent normal kind of guy looking for maybe a lost dog? But, there was something about him that Jack didn't seem to like.

“Sure...” Jack was a little unsure what this man wanted.

“Have you seen a girl in a hood run by here? I could have sworn she looked just like my daughter, Anna.”

Everything around the two stopped as Jack realized he was staring at the man Anna had called 'Dad'. The man that had beaten Anna till she was black and blue and god knows what else that Jack doesn't want to think about. The man looked at Jack for a moment and Jack noticed his hands clenching till his knuckles were white.

Jack licked his lips, shifting his stance and pointed to his left, “I saw her run down that way.” he said almost too tensely.

“Thank you.” he says before taking off down the street.

Once he was gone, Anna poked her head from behind the boxes to see Jack, tensed, with his shoulders hunched over slightly and his hands clenched. Her Dad was gone, so she came out from her hiding spot and hesitantly approached him.

“Jack?”

He suddenly kicked a trashcan then threw it deeper in the alley, just missing Anna. Something Anna learned about Jack; is he has anger issues. She just stood there with her arms wrapped around her waist as she waited for Jack to cool down a bit.

“I'm sorry.” she whispered just enough for Jack to hear. By the sound of her quiet soft voice made Jack calmed down enough to grab her wrist and head back to the house.



It took awhile to get back at the house from the city, but once they got back to the field in front of the house, Jack lets go of her wrist and made it to the front porch. Jack turned to Anna as she looked up at him with glassy eyes. Jack would yell at her but he figured she now knew better than to run off.

“Do you understand why you can't go out?” she nods, “Do you know, what could have happened if he knew exactly who you were and got a hold of you? Or if I didn't catch you in time?”

“Yes...” Even at 13 she still was naive. But he understood she was a teenager and wanted nothing more then to get out of the house.

Jack wrapped his arms around her and gave a slight squeeze. Anna relaxed and began sobbing into his chest. “I promise I'll take you out. Just...not right now, okay?”

She nods her head before they both went inside. Jack made her soup and told her to stay once again. She agreed immediately, as Jack left to go back to work. He came in late after break, and was forced to clean after his shift.

♠ ♠ ♠
So Jack finally meets Anna's Daddy. Always go with your gut on someone you just met. They might just be like John Collins...

So if you have seen my Author Note's from my last chapter, you'd know I have another Joker story that I'm working on, The Clown Prince. Please subscribe to it, 'cause I have no idea when I will start it. Comment on it, tell me what you think of it. Like? Don't like? Excited? Don't Care? Oh well. Gotta give Jack Nicholson some credit on the Joker ;]

Post a comment and end up here !
MentalMasturbation
xx; Ignorance
Mckaela Haner
Shadow's Gate
Brooklynn Marie
jokie
DaniBaby
Catharine.
serinitycelene
Escape.My.Fate
Strange Lifestyles
starbella
XxbrokensoulxX
ThereAre666Ways2Love
ChasingMemories
Cutie 0.0 Cucumber
Bunny-on-Drugs
Angelofhellsfire
Xxsk8tersrockXx
XahhaxRey
I Am Vengeance 6661
Pamela Pandemic
Musicislife89
ItEndsTonight
xXxpeebeejayxXx
Death_to_Roses
wolfprincess1995
lost.in.time
melmelzie
for_the_love_of_me
zipzapzach
HPfreak101
jokerislife
yoshballzonya
Fairy K
Haner's Harlot.
hopewillfall
Meres
LuvSick987
gymnstgril
IcRaVeVeNgEaNcE
SHYLA01
TwistedNaul;
skullgurl2007
Deltagrey
Beast In Repose
Neurotically.Yours
Avngd7XGirl
poisongirl24
Maim.The.Heart.
DefyGravity.
Jamie Glynn;
Emmelz Liebe
Meganator
KrisScoggins
bff.till.life
unsoundmind
violetkarma
SufferingSweetSorrow
FallenAngelRocker91