Holding On

The Narrows

I was so thrilled, shocked, and dumbfounded when The Joker decided to drop me off on some street where there were civilians roaming around. None of them stopped to help me and see if I was okay, no, only few gave me not much of a side-ways glance and still did nothing. Not even recognizing me from the news. Maybe they'll think its a trap or they don't watch too much TV. I had no money and it started to get dark. Through the weeks spending my time waiting for the Joker to finally kill me was a waste of time, but somehow I knew before the sun rises; I'll probably get killed by some thug hidden in an alleyway. And for some strange reason; death sounded nice. I still couldn't get the whole scene on the roof with Joker out of my head..



As the Joker dangled me, I shut my eyes and braced myself for what was going to happen next. But then I was pulled up and the next thing I knew, The Joker was inches away from me, shifting his eyes between my glassy ones.

“Do me, a favor...” he says, “Go home.”



After he said that. He untied me then dragged me all the way back to the van where he helped me get in the back, slams the door behind me then gets in the passenger seat where he took me what I believe is the Narrows. Now as I sit in the rain, thinking what I should do next. I need a plan. Taxi drivers were around, so I got up from the ground and ran towards the street, lifting my thumb and fore finger to my lips and blew, making a sharp, loud whistle then swung my arm in the air just like I did in New York. A taxi driver stops in front of me and looks at me with disgust. Of course he'd think I'm some kind of bum with men's boxer shorts and large flannel tee.

“Where you heading little lady?” he asks raising an eyebrow while blowing cigarette smoke in my face. I coughed. Disgusting.

“Bruce Wayne's manor.” I answered as my eyes started to sting from the smoke.

He scoffs “Ain't no way I'm taking you there, little Lady. Wayne don't need no beggars knocking on his door. Even if you're a pretty little thing.”

“But I know him! Ugh, can't you just take me there and see for yourself?!”

“Got any money?”

“No.”

“Well dats too bad.” he sticks the cigarette back in his mouth and takes off.

“Asshole!” I muttered running my hands through my hair and walked away. My newly clean hair was starting to get greasy again. I looked down at my skinny legs to see little black prickles poking out. I need to shave.

I noticed a payphone nearby. I felt someone watching me, and from across the street was a hobo with a cart full of junk all covered up with a blanket. He was toothless as he grinned at me. I got up from the ground and walked to the payphone keeping my eye one the homeless creep. I looked through the phone book as quickly as I could till I found what I wanted. I held down the receiver as it rang a few times.

“Hello, Operator.”



“Hello?” Alfred answered the phone. “Master Wayne. You have a phone call from-”

“Tell them to call back later, Alfred. I'm busy.” Bruce says, rushing to get his jacket, preparing to go to the Batcave.

“I think you'd want to answer this one. Its a collect call from Melinda.”

“What?!” Bruce rushed over to the phone and pushed it to his ear. “Hello?! ”

“Bruce Wayne?” says a woman on the line, the operator.

“Yes?”

“You have a call from Melinda Anderson, do you accept the char-”

“Yes!”



“Melinda?!”

“Bruce?” I plugged my left ear so I can hear him in my right.

“Oh thank god! Are you alright?! Where are you?!”

“I'm fine. Cold, but fine.” I shivered as I tried to keep myself calm. On the phone I could hear Bruce shuffling in the background. “I'm think I'm in The Narrows.”

“What the hell are you doing there?! Where is-”

“He let me go.”

Bruce felt like his head spun around a few times, “He let you go...? Wait. I'm coming to get you, what street are you at?!”

“I'm on Central St and...” I looked around for any place that I'm near and saw a night club across the street. “And I'm by the Glow nightclub.”

“Alright I know where you are. Don't move, I'll be there as soon as I can.”

Before I could say anything else, he hung up. I left the booth and stood in the rain. I thought back on what the Joker said to me... “Go home.” Where is home? New York, or the crappy house I lived in? I can't think of my 'Home Sweet Home' when I have no idea where it is. A couple walked by me instantly thought I was a shoeless bum and avoided me by going around me in a large curve. I thought about New York. I probably got fired in both of my jobs from staying here more than I should. Not my fault. Hopefully they'll understand.

After awhile sitting on the pavement with a small part of the stores roof covering me from the rain and waited for not even half an hour when I hear a long tire screech against the road along with the rain. I looked up to see Bruce getting out of his lambo and started looking around desperately like a child who lost his puppy. I walked closer to the street and yelled across traffic, “Bruce!” My throat was dry and rough but he heard me.

He spun around and his eyes laid on me. He looked relieved and ran towards me and engulfed me in his warm arms. “Jesus, you're freezing.” he rubbed my arms before giving me his jacket and leading me to his car. He guided me to the passenger side before getting in himself.

“Are you alright?! Did he hurt you?! I swear if he-”

“Bruce! Bruce!” I cut him off, “I'm okay. I'm not hurt. He did beat the crap 'outta me, but then took care of me. Which was weird. But he let me go.”

“Let you go? Wha-...I-I don't understand. It doesn't make any sense.” he exhales deeply and rubs his face. I turned away from him and shivered as he started the car and started driving back to the manor.

“I don't know? All I know is... He doesn't want me here in Gotham.”



Lucky and Ace both had themselves a bottle of Budweiser as they watched the other thugs play cards, loading weapons, or grabbing a bite to eat. The Riddler was out and Harley was still pouting on the couch as usual.

“Royal flush, boys!!” exclaims one of the goons named, Bones as he took the money that was on the table.

“No fucking way, you cheated!” says another, Frog.

“You calling me a liar?!” both Frog and Bones stood up as the others backed off.

“I'm calling you a god damn cheater!” he pulls out a revolver and points it at him.

“Oi!! What ye think yer doin' yer bunch of eejits?!” Lucky jumped up and went up to Frog's face as Ace went in front of Bones.

“No one kills anybody! Boss's orders, dumbasses!”

Lucky pulled the gun away from Frog as someone walked through the front door. All eyes except a pair of cold blue ones, looked to see The Joker.

“Uh...H-hey boss.” says the quiet thug in the corner, Goofy.

Joker licked his lips and walked right by them without a chuckle or giggle he usually does whenever he gets back to the warehouse. He walks over towards the moody blonde, laying across the old red couch with her feet cross over the edge, and her arms crossed. The Joker seem to stare at her for a moment, getting a sick feeling in his stomach just by looking at her before walking around, and shadowed over her. She gripped her slug hammer that she had beside her as she peeked one eye open and looked up at the clown.

“Did you have fun with your new toy, Boss??” she mocks, “Bet she was just a thrill, right?” she huffed and turned her head.

He said nothing. He took the hammer she had and threw it across the room, then scooped her up over his shoulder and headed towards the stairs. She kicked, yelled, and pounded on him till he reached her room and threw her on the bed. She was confused at first, but it changed into lust once Joker started taking off his coat and under jacket. She bites her lip seductively before getting on her knees, on the bed, and took his collar and pulled him in for a sloppy wet kiss. As she took off her hat and started to undo his waist coat buttons, Joker still was thinking of Melinda. He wondered if she got to someone to take her home safely.

The Narrows wasn't the best place to drop off someone like her, but he had to keep character. He wanted her to fear him before he let her go, so she would never come back to Gotham. So he could get over her again. Her frightened eyes and sarcastic look were still printed under his eyelids as he felt Harley's smooth, soft, waist. He dared not open them. He almost felt guilty thinking of Melinda while he was really with someone else. But Harley was just a thing. His old psychiatrist who fell head over heels in love with him and broke him out of Arkham. Even if she was annoying as hell; she was a good at helping create chaos. That's the reason he keeps her around. And just by fucking her; is making her stick to his hip like glue. To normal people, this would be wrong. But he was 'The Joker'. It didn't matter if he used someone to help him with his schemes. It didn't matter if he was using Dr Harleen Quinzel as a sex slave while thinking of someone he knew as he fucked her. Nobody was getting into his head, so who cares?

'She would.'
♠ ♠ ♠
He let her go! Thoughts? I need comments.

Cutie 0.0 Cucumber was the only one that commented on the last chapter. There were a few for the other chapters but yeah.

Remember to also subscribe to The Clown Prince.