Holding On

Tickets

After what happened with Anna running around in the city like a headless chicken and bumping into her Daddy; Anna hasn't talked much. She had no plans on wanting to go out, which wasn't surprising at all. As Jack swept the floor he thought about his feelings that had been going on for the past couple years. Sure, Anna had grown to him as a sister then his best friend. But now it seems like it should be more, and that worried Jack even more. He didn't want to lose Anna as a friend if it didn't work out.

“Shit.”

“You say something Jack?” asks the clerk that just got on shift.

“No, Bill.” he shook his head and continued with the floor.

Cleaning after his shift was a pain in the ass. But Jack dealt with it, knowing Anna was safe. He thought about the promise he made. How would he make it up to her? How could he tell her the feelings he has? Pushing it aside and finishing up the cleaning business, he left the building. At night Gotham was crawling with thugs, and so Jack always carried his knife his grandfather gave him after he died when he was 6. He was honored to share the name, Jack, with the old WWI veteran.

With his hands shoved in his pockets, he dragged his thumb across the initial 'J' and walked down the empty streets. Cars speeding by and blowing him more towards the sidewalk. He kept his eyes open and made sure no one was around to rob him. He didn't have much, just a bill with President Alexander Hamilton on it and a granola bar. As much as Jack can stand it, he could live on granola bars.

Before turning on Avenue x, a dark figure came out of the alley beside him. Jack quickly took focus on the man and gripped the knife in his pocket.

“Hey boy, like to buy a couple of tickets?” he grins as he held up two tickets.

Is there a catch? There's got to be a catch. “No thanks.”

“Are you sure? Buy one get one freeeeee.” he waves them.

Jack rolled his eyes and took another look at them. The two tickets were to the fair in a town away from Gotham, but not too far. The fair wasn't until next month after his 16th birthday. The promise he made to Anna popped into his head as the man continued to flash the two rectangular papers in his face.

“How much?” he asks,

“Only 10 bucks and they're all yours.” Coincidences? Jack pulled out Mr Alexander and gave it to the man as he slid the tickets into his other hand, but kept a grip on Jack's hand. “Enjoy your time.” he lets go and goes back into the alleyway.

Jack stood for a moment, taking another look at the tickets; they were real alright. But the guy made it seem...Strange. Well that's Gotham for ya. Jack stuffed the tickets in the pocket he kept the 10 dollars and headed back to the house.



Once Jack entered the front door, he was excited on telling Anna about the fair once he reached the field. But it was gone and replaced with admiring. Anna was curled up on the old beat up couch fast asleep with the small TV on. There was no channel, only fuzz. Jack smiled and turned it off before picking up Anna in a bridal style and headed upstairs. Jack felt almost like a superhero, and Anna was the damsel in distress. He couldn't help but chuckle as he thought of himself in tights and Anna dramatically calling for help with a hand to her forehead.

He laid her on her mattress, as she immediately went back into a curl. Jack felt a fluttering feeling inside his stomach and rose slightly to his chest. He figure that the 10 dollars and the man in the alley with 2 tickets was a hint that he should do something about his feelings. So Jack made a plan, he would tell her at the fair.

That he was falling in love with her...
♠ ♠ ♠
Awww, so sweet. Right? But short. :/
Remember to subscribe to The Clown Prince.
I may tease everyone by putting up a preview. Idk. Maybe. ;]

Comments makes me happy and inspired.
sO NoT StErEoTyPiCaL
perfectly obscure;
Randi Skye
Cutie 0.0 Cucumber
Shadow's Gates
Neurotically.Yours
SufferingSweetSorrow