Holding On

Spots and Hand Prints

Bruce and I were in his Lamborghini, going to the location I wanted him to go to. He was confused about the area, it was a little ways from the city with small shops and apartments but it was still in the city. I leaned against my hand and looked out the window as we started to pass the gas station that I knew very well about. Bruce notices and asks if that was the place.

“No. Just keep going straight.” I told him.

When we finally came to the spot I told him to stop the car and began to unbuckle my seat belt.

“Woah, woah, woah wait!” he stops me, “Right here? Seriously?”

“Yes, here.”

“Mel! There's nothing here.” he says referring to the large open empty field with a unnoticeable dirt road and the empty buildings surrounding the opening.

“Trust me Bruce...There is.” I said, looking into his eyes.

“How do I know you'll be safe?”

“'Cause no one ever comes here.” I muttered, opening the passenger door when Bruce grabbed my arm.

I looked back at him, he looked as if he was battling myself to let me go. He looked in my eyes and leaned forward, capturing my lips. I felt slightly guilty but if was gone once I started kissing back, then broke it as quick as it started.

“I'll be fine. I promise.”

“I'll get the bastard to confirm it.” he muttered.

I chuckled and shook my head. “Yeah...Okay Bruce. Tell Batman I said; 'Whats up?'

He chuckled a bit and nodded before leaning away. “Need me to get your bag?”

“No, I got it.”

“Are you sure you don't want me to take you all the way?”

“I'm sure Bruce.” I said, getting out of the car and grabbing my rolling suitcase from the back trunk. And walked up to the drivers side.

“I'll wait here so no one comes after you.”

“Okay, sounds fair.”

“You have my number, right?” he asked pointing at my phone in my pocket.

“Yes.”

“Alright...Be safe.”

“Okay.”

I smiled and waved at him, walking towards the dirt road that looked more like a trail now. I had a feeling that my legs were going to throb once I reached my destination. I could feel my heart begin to pound slowly with each step I took. It's been a long time since I've walked this road. I was nervous. But I kept moving forward. Nothing was stopping me now. And no one stopping me.



I came upon the wheat fields and looked at the road as it began to widen out. From the distance. I could see the house. It was more worn down than I remembered it. Some of the boards had broken off... The white paint on the front door was more of a dark gray. But the way the sun hit it from behind, it gave it a glow. My heart began to swell once I reached it. The wheat's died down and turn to grass and sand that surrounded the house. The steps to the porch were rotting away. I remembered when he was playing the accordion on these steps. He was such a dork. I pushed that aside as I took a deep breath and walked up the steps. I stood in front of the old door and noticed brown spots on the door. I sighed and turned the knob and entered the house.

It was cold...And dirty. And also a mess... The furniture was still here, but the couch was flipped over. Everything was dusty. The floor had all kinds of dirt and paper. The corners where the ceiling walls touched was filled with cob webs. Other than that, everything was the same. This was what I used to call home. I looked in the kitchen and found the dinning table was still standing with the two white chairs lying on the ground on their sides.

I felt my eyes start to water as I could remember my self running around in this house with Jack chasing me. I laughed at the memory then headed towards the stairs. I looked up to hear nothing but silence. I felt like I was in a horror movie. But I knew no one's been here in years. I took a step on the stairs, it made a loud creak, but I kept going up and up. On the 7th step, the same hole that my foot fell through was still there. At the top, it was dark and cold. The railing and walls were covered in old blood from the night when he ran up the stairs; clutching his face. I covered my hand over the brown smeared hand print on the wall and continued walking down the hallway. I passed what was my old room and walked towards the door across from it. The room where we shared so many memories together. I grasped the door knob before taking a deep breath and pushed it open. My heart was racing as I stared at mine and Jack’s old room. The mattress was still there, the covers were there, the dresser, everything was still there. Only more dusty. I closed the door softly behind me and walked towards what used to be our bed. On the mattress I could still see the old blood spots from that day. They were a rusted color that dried up on the blue fabric. I sighed, hovering my fingers over it.

I was so close…

So close to him. Yet so far away…



Harley had stopped the van and went inside. Slowly with the magnum in her hand as she walked up the squeaky stairs. She didn't know what was up with the Joker, but he's been different ever since Melinda came. She thought back on her mistake back at Bruce's party. If she would have let the bitch run, she wouldn't have to deal with her right now, and the Joker wouldn't have been hypnotized by whatever spell she has on him. It made her blood boil. She wanted this girl DEAD. She knew she would receive a beating for this, but it would be worth it. Just as long as she was out of the picture. As she walks down the hall she passes a door but knew it was the bathroom. Then found the door she was searching for. It was closed of course. As she stood in front of it; she grinned sinfully before kicking the door in and pointed straight at the bed.



I shot up and looked behind me when I heard the door slam open. But no one was there.



Harley was dumbstruck when she knocked down the door to an empty bedroom. She looked to her right to see a bathroom, covered in slim and bugs and god knows what. But that didn't matter. She wasn't here! Outraged. She shot the bed a few times where she should have been, screaming and stomping her feet like a spoiled child.



I forgot that Jack used to put a block in front of the door to stop it from slamming against the wall during the night. I went over and slid the brick into place and felt suddenly tired. I was going to be here for awhile, that's for sure. I patted the mattress a bit to get some of the dust off. I laid my jacket down before laying on top of it and drifted off to sleep.



Riddler had the goons set up and ordered them around as his cell rang. He looked at the caller ID before pressing the answer button and brought it to his ear.

“HelloOoOo?” he answered singing.

“She's gone.”

“Who's gone?”

“Mel-in-da.” Harley says in a snotty way.

“Interesting...” he mutters as Two-Face approached him with Zsasz eyeballing the area like a dog. “Maybe Joker took her out again?”

“He's out with his MEN!!”

“Then she's probably most likely; DEAD.”

“I know she's not de-”

“I'd love to stay and chat my dear Harlequin— but! Duty calls. Tah!” he hangs up before she could speak.

“Who's 'most likely dead?'” asks Two-Face.

“Jokie's new doll.” he turns to him, stuffing his phone back into his jacket then leaned on his cane.

“That Melinda girl?”

“That's the one.”

“Is she dead?” he asks twirling his two headed coin between his fingers.

Riddler stood straight throwing his cane in the air then catching it at the end and pointed it at Two-Face. The question mark pointing straight in his face. “Riddle. Me. This...”



“So...? Wheres the Joker going?” says one of Joker's goons as they stole a large truck with a large logo Rainum bro's Fantastic Show in the world.

“He's getting that shitty truck from the garage and taking a 'vacation' till we get rolling with this shit.” Said the driver in the middle.

“Lucky bastard. What 'bout da rest of us?! Why're we da one's doin' all da damn work!”

“Would you two shut up?! Forget about Joker, let him have his fun! He's the boss, and we gotta get this thing back to Riddler before they even notice it's missing.” says the driver as he drove on the highway back to Gotham.

“Anyone dumb enough would notice a circus truck missing.”

...

I stayed the night there, sleeping on the old mattress. There wasn’t much to do downstairs but look around and relive everything back when I was Anna. I still am Anna, I can never change that. Not even my name. The sun was just setting, it’s yellow, orange, and pink rays seeping through the window in the dark room I laid in. The silent carried through that I could hear anything that made a noise. Whether it was a rat, the wind, the front door opening and shutting. Wait…THE FRONT DOOR. I jumped I got on my feet and ran for the closet. I could hear the footsteps coming up the stairs, my heart was pounding at my chest, wanting to get out that I could almost hear it screaming in my ears. As I looked through the cracks of the closet. I see the door slowly opening, and someone walked in.

It was the Joker.

'Did he follow me here? How did he find me?! Why is he here?!

I’m gonna die. I’m finally gonna fucking die….Wait...No. He wasn’t looking for anything, he was examining the room. He glided his gloved hand on the dusty dresser, leaving trail, then the wall, and then came around towards the bed. I could hardly see, but from what I can see on his painted face, it looked pained. About what? I don’t know… He jabs his knife into the night stand and walked around the other side of the bed, taking his jacket off and laid it on top of it, then sits down on the mattress staring out the window. His features were black from the light surrounding him through the window. He runs his hands through his oily hair and sighs; bowing his head.

I notice the knife still in the nightstand. So I took the opportunity to walk out of the closet. Slowly and quietly; I tipped toed over to the nightstand, keeping my eyes on him. I was a foot away from it when I noticed him look down at my jacket. I stepped on a loose floor board that made a long creek! He turns around and I lunged myself forwards grabbing the knife and pointed it at him. He didn’t look surprise at all.

“Don’t…Move…” I hissed.

He smacked his lips together a couple of times before slowly standing. No laugh. No smile. He was frowning though his makeup made it look like he was smiling…And his eyes looked different.

He takes a step around the bed making me tighten my grip around the wooden handle, “Don’t!”

“You and I both know…You won’t do it.” He says in a low voice.

I scoffed, “…You don’t think I will?” I laughed,

He shacks his head, taking another step closer. I could feel my heart thumping harder, Buh bum, buh bum, buh bum, “Put it down.” He whispers softly…

“No.”

“Anna—“

I jumped and found myself hit the door with my back. That was when I took a glanced down at the knife in my hand then took a double take to get a better look on what caught my eye. I remembered him playing with this knife around the house and threatened those guys in the alley. My heart dropped when I saw a ‘J’ written in the bottom of it. I slowly looked up at the Joker. My breath shaky and my feet shuffling away from him.

“Where is he?” I whispered.

He cocks his head to the side, not understanding. “Who?”

“You know who!” I growled, “Where is he?! WHAT DID YOU DO TO HIM?!?!” I screamed/cracked.

“Anna, plea—“

“Don’t fucking mess with me!! Don’t fucking call me that!” I was hyperventilating, my hands were shaking and tears were running down my face. “Did you kill him?” I muttered, feeling my lip quivering.

Joker looked pained then turns away from me and leans against the window sill.

“Answer me, god damn it!!!”

“No…I didn’t kill him.” He says, “He’s alive.” He says in a much deeper voice. A more normal voice. A voice I could never forget.

My heart skipped a beat. Or even stopped all together. I shuddered as I couldn't think of anything or say anything except one thing...

“Jack…?”
♠ ♠ ♠
AHHHHHHHH!!!! What now?!
lol. It's all coming closer! :] Check out my preview for The Clown Prince that I posted!

Comments please!
luckybutton
SHYLA01
unbroken!paradise
iwishxthat
I Am Vengeance 6661