Cowgirls Don't Cry

Mahogany is twenty-seven.

Image

I navigated the truck and horse trailer up the old dirt path from my past. Alax had her little nose pressed against the trucks window as the Montana mountains rolled slowly by.

She’s never been out of Arizona, so the Montana life will be a big change.

A nice change.

Parking the truck in front of my old cabin I smiled with relief.

I haven’t felt a sense of home since leaving this ranch.

“Come on mom! Let’s go!”

Laughing I jump out of the truck and meet Alax at the back of the trailer.

“Can we go riding right now?”

“Not right this moment, no. We still need to unpack.

“Please mom!”

Raising an eyebrow I unlatch the door and swing it open. Making sure Alax was out of the wayi jump in and begin to lead the Andalusia out.

Mayhem was a large horse, standing at 16.5 hands high, and grateful to be able to stretch his legs.

Once we were out I looked for Alax, spotting her a few feet away with a cute little pout on her face.

I sighed, “Alright, but you need to put your boots on.”

As she ran to her bags I quickly snapped Mayhem’s reigns on, opting to ride bare back for now.

“All ready!”

Smiling I life my daughter onto Mayhem’s back as he waited patiently. Jumping up behind her I kick the horse into a walk. Choosing a trail I used to take as a kid.

Being in these woods once more made me think about the last time I was here. About six years ago I traveled to this ranch right after my father died.

I was depressed and wanted to feel whole again.

So when I ran into Kolt again I let my emotions rule.

Guiding the horse I look down at Alax’s bright curly hair.

How can I regret that one night when it brought me Alaxandra?

Looking up when I felt Mayhem tense I watched as a fox like dog race across the trail. He looked to be about three inches high with long hair around his neck and red and black fur.

“Manny! Goddamn it, get back here!”

I watched with wide eyes as an older looking Kolt chased after the fox, guiding a beautiful Palomino through the forest.

“Mommy? What’s going on?”

“I don’t know, baby. Want to check it out?”

Alax nodded her head as I turned Mayhem to follow after Kolt.

I finally caught up to them at a clearing with a small river flowing down the middle of it.

Kolt was wading waist high in the water as his horse stood of t o the side. The fox-like dog continued to play in the water, jumping away every time Kolt reached for him, his long legs almost like springs.

“Shouldn’t we help him mommy?”

Deciding that Alax was right and that I should alert Kolt to our presence I gave a small whistle.

Immediately Kolt, the fox, and the Palomino looked at me.

Eager to meet new people the fox splashed out of the water and over to us. Sliding from Mayhem I reached out to let the canine smell my hand.

When the fox let me pat his head I looked up to see Kolt still standing in the river, starring between Alax and I.

God, how am I going to tell him?

There’s no mistaking the similarities between father and daughter.

Keeping a hand on the fox I stand up, “Hey, Kolt.”

A few minutes passed before he moved out of the water, “Hey Red, I didn’t know you were coming out.”

I gave a cautious smile, “I was actually thinking about moving back into the cabin.”

Kolt gave a small nod, then called the fox to him, “It’s always been yours.”

With another small smile I reach up and help Alax down, “Alax, this is Kolt.”

With a big smile she runs over and takes his hand, “Hi daddy!”

Crap.

With a shocked and scared look in his eyes Kolt looked up at me, his hand still around Alax’s.

I took a deep breath, “Would you mind coming over to the cabin? I have a lot to tell you.”