‹ Prequel: Trix, Like The Cereal

Diaries of the Mind

Small Time, Big Time

July 28, 2005
Trix's Mind

All day I've had an upidee in my step. Who knew three guys could have such an affect on me. I'm still trying to get my head around the fact they have kids, heck they are kids! The place starts to crowd up around seven and I'm surprisingly stress free considering two of my employees called in sick.

"Trixie!" an annoying voice calls. I turn around to see its Steve, the guitarist of one of the bands playing tonight called Good Gravy, he's seventeen.

"Call me Trixie again and I'll chop off you pinky," I say cocking an eyebrow.

"Oh you wouldn't do that." He laughs.

"You sure about that?" I ask as I take the knife I used to cut lemons off the counter.

"Anyway," he says laughing, "when are we on?"

"Third."

"Trix!" Johnny, the bass player says excitedly. "Beer?"

"Not happening." He sighs.

"Why are you so happy? You meet a smexiful guy?"

"Oh yeah, an older version on you," I laugh.

"Why do you want him when you can have me?"

"That would be illegal, fool," I say laughing. "So do you want soda or what?"

"Fine," the three band mates mumble. The drummer is sort of shy, his name is Nev. I hand them each a can of coke and go back to serving the other people at the bar.

"Kyle!" I yelp at one of my employees.

"Yes Trix?" he says standing in mock military attention.

"You get the honor of being tonight's MC," I say slapping his back. He smirks and runs toward the small stage. He turns off the music and steps up on stage.

"Ladies and Germs!" Kyle says smoothly, he really had the voice and attitude to get the attention of a crowd. "We have our first band of the evening. It's three rocker chicks known as Criminal Saints! Be nice, it's their first gig ever!" and with that he walks off stage and three sixteen year old punker girls walk on stage with their instruments and start to rock out.

"Oh their cute," I say nudging Nev, I always liked to mess with him because he's so shy. "Think you should go for the cute guitarist."

"Really?" he says, for once enthusiastic, "You think I have a chance?"

"Oh yeah, once she hears you rock out, she's yours," I say nodding, he smiles.

"I think I'll go for the bassist," Johnny says licking his lips.

"Nah, she'll never go for you," I laugh.

"What? I'm irresistible."

"Talk like that will get you in trouble." I snicker as I go off to tend to more customers, three cosmopolitans, two martinis, and a sex on the beach later I go back to Good Gravy.

"Uh-oh, they're done," Nev says nervously, "What if they leave?"

"Don't worry," I mumble as I wave the girls over as Kyle introduces the next band.

"What! No! What are you doing?" Nev stammers as Johnny and Steve burst out laughing.

"Chill, okay?"

I walk over to the other part of the bar where the three girls take a seat.

"Hey girls, what can I get you?"

"Sprite," the bassist says.

"Colam" drummer mumbles.

"Dew," the guitarist says, I smile and get them their drinks.

"So are you going to stick around to watch the other bands?" I ask casually.

"I don't know," the drummer says looking around.

"You should, the next band is the shit," I say as they just laugh. "You girls played well, and I'm Trix by the way."

"Renee," the drummer says.

"Lana," guitarist mumbles.

"Niki," the bassist says as she sips her drink. I nod and walk back to Good Gravy.

"So?" Nev asks eagerly.

"I convinced them to stay, oh and her name is Lana and she drink Mountain Dew." He smirks.

"What about the bassist?!" Johnny demands. I ignore him. "Trix, you're beauty compares to that of a goddess, your scent like fresh flowers and-"

"Niki drinks sprite," I say absent mindedly. "And you guys are up," I say as I see Kyle waving. The guys wonder off toward the stage leaving me to tend to drink making.

"Excuse me miss, can I have five cheeches?" a familiar voice asks, I whip around to see Tre, Mike, Billie, Claudia and Adie standing there.

"Oh my god, you guys found me," I say excitedly.

"Very nice place," Mike says smirking.

"What about my Cheech!" Tre demands.

"What the hell is a cheech?" I ask laughing. Tre rolls his eyes and hops over the bar and starts mixing a drink. "There!"

"What can I get the rest of you?" I ask trying to overcome a fit of the giggles.

"Oh you know we're not picky," Billie says in a very feminine voice. "BEER!" I grab four beers and hand them out.

"What about me?" Tre whines as he shows his glass is empty, I grab another beer and hand it to him. "Oooh, bar nuts!" Tre reaches for the bowl and I slap his hand away. "Hey!"

"Don't eat those."

"Why not?" Tre pouts, everyone else just laughs.

"They've been sitting there all week," I whisper as I take the bowl away.

"Are you guys going to sign the wall?" I ask smirking as I point to the white wall which is covered in signatures.

"Why should we?" Billie pouts.

"Well a lot of the bands that come in here sign the wall and-"

"But that means we have to play," Mike says smiling.

"If you like, did you bring your shit?"

"Uhhh, uhh," Tre says checking his pockets, "No."

"Hold on, I'll see if you can borrow some." I say as Good Gravy finishes up.

"Trix! Can I have a beer now?" Steve whines.

"Nope, you're underage," I say evilly.

"Okay two mountain dews," Nev says nervously. I hand him the two cans of soda.

"Trix, stop being a hypocrite and give them beer!" Billie yells.

"Yeah! What he said!" Johnny says happily.

"Fine but I need to borrow your bass and guitar," I say grabbing two bottle of beer. They shrug and hand me their instruments. "Oh Nev, can I borrow your drumsticks?" he practically throws them at me as he makes his way toward Criminal Saint's guitarist.

"Here you go guys," I say handing Billie, Mike and Tre the stuff. Mike and Billie adjust the straps and head up to the stage. The band currently playing finishes up and Tre runs on stage before the next band can.

"This should be good." Claudia laughs as Billie and Mike take their places. I smirk as Billie adjusts the mic.

"Hello people!" Billie says happily, "We're a, a Green Day tribute band called umm..."

"The Weed Binge!" Mike yelps quickly.

"Yeah, we're The Weed Binge." Billie nods. Adie, Claudia and I can't help but burst out laughing.

"First we're going to play a song called...Basket Case!" Billie says excitedly as they start to play. The guys were rocking out just like they used to. A small enticed crowd then just wanted to hear some decent shit. I'm still their biggest fan in the place. "Alright, any requests?"

"She!" Nev yells and Lana just giggles into her hand. An obvious clue that he found out her favorite Green Day song. Mike nods and starts playing the bass line, damn he's just as slick as ever with his bass. They finish up with that song.

"You're not a cover band!" someone yells.

"You really are Green Day!" another person calls out.

"Oh I wish we were," Billie sighs into the mic, "We're just nobodies."

"Dude!" someone yells, "Play Stuck With Me!"

"Okay Dude," Billie says in a surfer voice, bobbing his head in mockery of the crowd member. "Dude wants us to play stuck with me."

"Dude," Mike laughs, "Dude, I don't wanna play that song dude."

"But Dude, it was a request, dude," Billie says, meanwhile Tre is laughing his head off.

"But Dude."

"Too bad!" Billie yells as he starts to play anyway.

"Last song," Mike says adjusting the bass strap on his shoulder. "I wanna play some really, really old shit. I wanna play Best Thing in Town!"

"That?" Billie says rolling his eyes. "But I don't wanna!" Mike runs up to Billie and kicks his butt. "That hurt." Billie rubs his ass, "Come and kiss it better!"

"Just play the damn song!" Adie yells.

"Fine," he mumbles as they all start to play in sync. I remember this song, it was one of the first songs Mike and Billie wrote. It was so long ago, I can't even remember who that song was written for. It sounded a bit different this time around, but I guess their voices deepened a bit since they were eighteen. "All the sex" I could picture Tre saying. They climb off stage and hand instruments back to the scattered members of Good Gravy.

"I miss small shows," Billie pouts as they return to the bars. I hand them each a black marker. "What's this for?" I point to the wall.

"Oh yeah," Mike says as he and Tre go off to the wall.

"Better be a cold beer when I get back," Billie jokes. I grab three beers and put them on the counter just as the guys return.

"We sign boobs too you know," Tre says raising his eyebrows pervertedly.

"Really!" I say in fake excitement. Tre nods, "Mike! Sign my boobs!"

"Hey!" Tre says in mock hurt.

"You serious?" Mike ask looking me over. He looked somewhat amused.

"Maybe later, I gotta work now," I joke, realizing I'm leaving a crack load of costumers unattended to.

"Hi I'm Mike, I'm a tourist," Mike says popping out of no where.

"What can I get you tourist Mike?" I ask laughing.

"A date."

"I don't know, I don't date customers."

"Oh so you're saying drinks are on the house," he says smirking evilly.

"Yes." I smile. Mike is so weird sometimes I need a decoder to understand him at all.

About half an hour later, no one's left nagging for drinks, only the occasional person, which my employees can handle. Billie and Adie are sitting at one table, Tre and Claudia took hold of a corner of the bar, I go over to Mike.

"So where does Mr. Mike Dirnt take his gals now-a-days for a good time."

"Back of my car, same as always," he says smirking evilly. "I don't know, where do you want to go, the only places I know in Chicago, is the arena, this place and the hotel."

"Ahh well," I say shrugging. "There's a movie theatre, umm god, I have no life if I can't even come up with anything."

"Well then I'll take you to the movies," Mike smirks, "Unless you want to go to the hockey game tomorrow at the arena."

"Nah, movies sound great. Wait, when do you leave?"

"Shit, I forgot about that," he says stupidly, "We leave tomorrow around four."

"Guess that means we'll be going to a matinee," I say optimistically. "Besides, I have to work tomorrow evening."

"Hey, let's get going," Billie says as he and Adie walk up to us.

"Bye you guys," I say realizing how late it is, the place has only about fifteen people not including my guests.

"What is he doing?" Adie asks pointing to the stage, where Tre is climbing up. There's no band playing at this point, just pre-recorded music. He grabs Kyle's mic.

"I am the real Tre Cool and we were Green Day playing tonight!" he exclaims then runs off stage to the back door.

"Now we really have to go," Adie says nervously as she, Billie and Claudia head for the door.

"Bye Mi-" I'm interrupted by Mike's lips being pressed against mine.

"C'mon Mike!" Tre yells as he runs by, and Mike runs off as a few teenagers try to snap a picture of them with their cell phone.

"Where do I pick you up?!" Mike yells.

"Here!" I yell back as four or five excited teenagers chase them out the door.