Distant Elemental

Merely the beginning.

Fulgora, Autumn and Andromeda walked into physics class. They sat on a desk second from the front, as only four desks in the class were occupied. Their class consisted of only ten people, but they liked it that way. Physics wasn’t the most popular subject. The three elementals were the only girls in their class- the rest were boys, who always seemed to consider themselves much smarter than the girls. Two of these boys happened to be sub-elementals, so of course the girls had their eyes on them. One, a guy called Harrison, was a lightning sub, which irked Fulgora to no end as she could do nothing about anyone who went to her school (for obvious reasons). The other was a gangly chap called Bradley, a wind sub.
“Now, can anyone give me examples of semi-conductors?” asked their physics teacher, Mr. Hatton.
Fulgora raised her hand the same instant Harrison did, only he punched the air faster than she. At this she twinged, knowing full well he had moved faster than any human was usually capable of.
“Yes, Harrison?”
“Geranium and silicon.”
“Good. Who can tell me why semi-conductors are better conductors when heated?”
“The particles move faster, sir,” Harrison replied quickly, “so they become free-moving electrons and can pass through easier as current.” Andromeda tried hard not to laugh- she could hear Fulgora grinding her teeth.
“That’s pretty good, Harrison. Soon we’ll be learning about the difference between super-conductors and semi-conductors, but can anyone give me a quick example relating to what we’ve just heard?”
“Super-conductors aren’t as good at conducting electricity when heated, sir, for the resistance increases when heated, and the moving particles bump into otherwise free flowing electrons.”
“That’s right Harrison. Now, I’m going to show you a diode and relate it to semi-conductors. What I’m trying to do is to show you how, when cooled, the electricity doesn’t pass through as easily as when heated. I’ve boiled up some water, and I have ice cubes in another, so we’ll try this experiment now. Everyone come and stand up at the desk.”
Everyone stood, and Andromeda elbowed Fulgora in the gut while giving her a smile. Fulgora glared back, unamused.
As the experiment progressed, Mr Hatton was disappointed to find that hardly any change occurred. The current seemed relatively the same in both, as shown by his galvanometer. He decided to give it another go. He tried the experiment in cold water, which had little effect. He then dipped the diode into boiling water.
Everyone gasped as the needle of the galvanometer skyrocketed. Fulgora stared openly at Harrison who was standing right next to the beaker, his hand flat on the desk. She quickly slapped his arm away, and he looked at her with a grin on his face. The needle sank slowly back down again, and everyone groaned.
“Well, never mind. Everyone back to their desks.”

“He was fiddling with it!” Fulgora exploded as they walked down towards the quad, where they sat on some silver seats. “He was feeding electricity into it! I could feel it!”
“Calm down Fulgora,” said Andromeda, with a slightly distant expression on her face.
Autumn gasped suddenly. “You like him!” she accused.
“I do not!” replied Andromeda.
“You do too!” Autumn insisted. They bickered and quibbled in the slight breeze as Fulgora sighed and pulled out a book, trying to ignore the sniggering and squabbling. The breeze intensified and, just as expected, Skye appeared.
“Skye, Andromeda likes Harrison!” Autumn squealed instantly.
Skye gasped as though this was the most amazing thing in the world. “Oh my gosh, do you!?”
“Well...”
“Oh my gosh you do too!” Fulgora, with some difficulty, prevented herself from rolling her eyes and instead focused on her book. She had read the same sentence three times already.
“Nayru, Andromeda likes Harrison!” Skye regurgitated as the Water Elemental arrived. Nayru looked interested, with a small smile on her face, and engaged into the conversation. They didn’t hear the small sigh from Fulgora, who closed her book and put it away.
“Hey guys, what’s up?” asked the fiery Blaise.
“You’ll never guess!”
Blaise took one look on Fulgora’s face. “That bad, is it?”
“Stop being so frigid Fulgora!” Autumn cried in an exasperated tone. Fulgora looked absolutely shocked.
“I am not frigid!” she exclaimed. Everyone else started laughing, and for that moment, all else was forgotten.

The next night, everyone was on their own computers, mainly laptops, having an interesting conversation as Skye was babysitting at the time and they were all in separate rooms and couldn’t really be bothered to move.

Blaise says (8:32 PM):
Skye, are you giving me a lift tomorrow?
Andromeda says (8:33 PM):
Skye's here?
Fulgora- says (8:33 PM):
brb
Nayru says (8:33 PM):
she could be
Andromeda says (8:33 PM):
maybe she's giving a kid cpr...
Nayru says (8:33 PM):
lol
Skye says (8:34 PM):
sorry guys i g2g one of the kids just woke up ttyl xx
Nayru says (8:34 PM):
Bye poophead

Skye has left the conversation.

Andromeda says (8:35 PM):
I WAS RIGHT!
Autumn says (8:35 PM):
not quite
Andromeda says (8:35 PM):
she just revived him
she was giving him cpr and he just woke up so she has to call his mummy and assure her that he's okay
Autumn says (8:36 PM):
yeah....
Andromeda says (8:36 PM):
why does it seem like you don't believe me?!?!
*cries*
Autumn says (8:36 PM):
sorry
it just seems a little hard to believe

Skye has been added to the conversation.

Andromeda says (8:40 PM):
how's the kid?
Skye says (8:40 PM):
in bed now
Autumn says (8:40 PM):
he okay?
Skye says (8:41 PM):
oh yeah
Andromeda says (8:41 PM):
that's good, I got a bit worried, didn't know if you were qualified in cpr
Skye says (8:42 PM):
screw you!

Blaise wandered into the lounge room, where Nayru was typing on her laptop with a massive smile across the face, typing some sort of addition to the conversation. She looked up as Blaise entered.
“Am I going to get a response to my question?”
“Probably not, Skye is a bit preoccupied with other thoughts at the moment.” Nayru couldn’t get the smile off her face.
“Well I’m a bit preoccupied at the moment as well,” said Blaise in a devilishly mischievous way.
Nayru’s eyes narrowed as she spied him between slits. “Why, whatever do you mean?”

Andromeda says (8:49 PM):
brb

Humming to herself in a good-natured way, Andromeda sauntered out to the kitchen. She floated straight by the lounge, hardly aware of anything, even that her feet weren’t reaching the ground. She reached the kitchen, poured herself a glass of orange juice, and took a few sips before spinning in the air and keeping the juice still in the glass. Contented, she floated back towards the corridor leading to her room, going straight past the lounge. As she was floating by, quite noiselessly, she looked in and upended the glass of orange juice all over herself in a violent jerk. Sopping and spluttering, she stared, open mouthed, at the two lying on the couch, before doing a quick jump-start and zooming down the corridor to her room.

Andromeda says (8:53 PM):
Nayru and Blaise are making out on the couch!

A distant thunk was heard from the lounge room.
All at once everyone was writing a message.
♠ ♠ ♠
what do you think? tell me via a comment on my story :P