Distant Elemental

The clear night sky

“What the hell was that!?” Bianca and Lily were frightened. They lay flat on the ground for a few hesitant seconds before lifting themselves up and walking forward a fair way, distancing themselves from the edge of the cliff.
All at once Bianca gasped. “You’re not the wind elemental, are you?”
Fulgora laughed again. “No, I’m not. You should watch out though, strange winds up here hey?”
Bianca and Lily instinctively gulped, causing Fulgora to smile at the comical side of it. She lifted her arm out in front of her with the other two watching her every move.
“What are you doing?” Lily asked, sounding as scared as she looked with her wide and staring eyes.
“Pointing at something.”
As Bianca and Lily turned, they each felt a hand shove them in the small of their backs just as Blaise shot upwards as a flaring fireball, adding to the effect. The two of them screamed and tried to turn back around, but found themselves suddenly flying through the air and in a horrible shock. They couldn’t think as they flew off the edge of the cliff. It almost felt like they’d been electrocuted.

“Nova!” Fulgora cried, suddenly by his side and pulling him upright, checking his pulse and the puncture mark in his skin. He seemed to be alright, he was already coming to. Fulgora only now let her anxiety show. She could never allow herself to look weak in front of her enemies.

Skye and Andromeda watched with smiles on their faces as the two screaming girls fell towards Earth.
“Seems a shame to save them now,” Andromeda said.
“I know right?” added Skye. But as the Earth drew closer, the two elementals sped down to the ground, and with a mixture of wind and gravity, saved the lives of the two shocked individuals with frazzled hair and wide eyes. Bianca and Lily flopped to the ground with no idea where they were or how they had landed safely. Andromeda and Skye flew away giggling and laughing, caught up in the moment that they would forever remember. The wind propelled them onwards and gravity seemed to lose all meaning as they spun through the air, the stars in the night sky shining down on them.

Blaise caught up with the other two elementals, now heading home.
“Guys wait up! What about Fulgora and Nova?”
Oh yeah, I almost forgot about those two. Let’s go back and see if they’re alright.
The three of them flew back to the site on the edge of the cliff. Nova was standing, wobbling slightly, but looking otherwise unharmed. Fulgora looked up as the other three approached.
“Thanks for that, Skye.”
You’re very welcome
“Will you be okay?” everyone heard the tenderness in her voice as Fulgora posed the question she had already asked twice before. It figures, he’d saved her life before, she might as well show some gratitude to him now that he was the one in the difficult position. Nova simply nodded at her, saying nothing.
“Can you still teleport?” Andromeda asked with interest. As though in reply, Nova disappeared and re-appeared standing a few metres away.
Well, seeing as though everyone’s happy, I’m outta here!
Skye lifted up into the air with a rush of wind, twirled around and sped away into the night sky, laughing. Andromeda and Blaise watched wistfully as she went. Fulgora took a look at their expressions.
“You guys can go if you want. We’ll meet you there, right Nova?”
Nova nodded, looking stronger and less wobbly than before. The effects of the tranquiliser were already almost completely gone. As Blaise and Andromeda leapt to the sky, Fulgora turned to Nova and asked him about that.
“The effects of a tranquiliser are weakened on someone with powers. They would have little to no effect on an elemental.”
The two of them walked towards the edge of the cliff and looked over at the view they had previously ignored. The city of lights spanned out from where they stood. To the left, not a very far distance away, lay the wide ocean, a massive expanse of water than looked like a dark blob in comparison to the rest of their view. To the right was the city, a massive collection of lights compressed so closely that it was almost one single light glittering in a bright fiasco that nearly blinded the viewer. Directly in front of the two, just below the horizon, were the suburbs. There weren’t so many lights here, but there was more to see. More houses, more lakes, more hills and such like. The view that stole the show tonight, however, was the beautiful sky. The stars gleamed, a pale light in contrast to the sprawling dots of colour from the land. The universe opened up above the two figures, and a pale glow emanated from the stars and the moon, oddly bright that night. There were a few wisps of clouds towards the horizon, coloured silver.
“Look, a silver lining,” said Fulgora quietly, smiling. She turned to look at Nova and could see he was smiling beneath his mask.
“Will you ever let us see what you truly look like and take off that mask?”
“I don’t usually reveal my identity to strangers.”
“Well I might not have known you very long, but I’m not a stranger, am I?” Fulgora sounded uncertain, almost hesitant, as she asked the question. Nova turned so that they were facing each other completely instead of the cliff and stood there for a while, obviously thinking.
“You’re not a stranger to me, Fulgora,” he said in his deep, gentle voice, almost a whisper.
“You know, I just realised something,” Fulgora truly whispered, “I never had the chance to thank you. You may not have done the healing, but you saved my life. That was you, wasn’t it? I can’t remember too well...”
She paused, looking up at him. She could see no emotion from the small part of his face she could see, only his sparkling turquoise eyes. She had received no confirmation, yet she knew it was he who had pulled her from her dark contemplation, pulled her from the grasp of death and taken her to the one who saved her. He blinked once, and then reached up with his right hand a commenced to pull off his mask. Fulgora smiled, looking as his crop of red hair with the fringe and his steady face, full lips and small smile. She went to take a step backwards to get a better look, and with a sudden spike of fear she felt her foot fall from the crumbling edge.

Everything seemed to slow down. Fulgora took in a breath as she started falling backwards and saw Nova’s eyes widened as he realised what was happening and threw out an arm to grab her. Fulgora fell too fast, tripped over the edge and with a loud scream was flying down towards the ground. Nova launched himself after her and the two fell, wind whipping their clothing and tangling their hair as the twisted in the air, searching for one another. Nova reached Fulgora and wrapped his arms around her as they spun. She quickly hugged him in mid-air as the ground came rushing up to meet them and they stayed like this a second before they disappeared.

Autumn, Andromeda, Nayru, Blaise and Skye were chatting animatedly in the lounge room, discussing the events of the night, when with a sudden flash of light and a loud thump two people appeared on the carpet in the living room.
“Ow!” said Nova as the full weight of Fulgora crashed onto him.
“Sorry!” she cried and quickly rolled off. The two of them lay on the ground, both panting and shivering with adrenaline, before suddenly Fulgora flung herself on Nova and hugged him tightly. He seemed surprised but returned the hug, burying his face into her dark hair. The two hadn’t noticed everyone else staring at them, and it was a few seconds before they were interrupted with a deep, throaty cough from Blaise.

Fulgora leapt to her feet as though shocked (ironic, I know) and Nova stood slowly, pulling his mask back on as he did so.
“It wasn’t like that, I swear,” was the first thing a blushing, flustered Fulgora said. Skye, Nayru and Andromeda were laughing. Autumn and Blaise gave each other a look before joining in.
“It wasn’t really! Right, Nova?” Fulgora turned to him to back her up, but he looked down and said nothing, his mask once again hiding his blushing face.
“Shut up!” she yelled, to no avail.
“Nova and Fulgora, sitting in a tree!” Autumn started, and everyone joined in as Fulgora bristled with anger. Nova automatically zipped up his mask and in seconds had vanished in a flash of red light. Everyone now turned to Fulgora, singing ‘K-I-S-S-I-N-G’ as she gritted her teeth and stamped her foot. All of a sudden she was crackling with electricity, an immense vortex of power than slammed everyone off their feet and started a mini fire underneath her as the carpet burned.
“SHUT UP!” she roared. She stormed from the room, no longer crackling literally but seemingly with anger as she ran off. Everyone got to their feet, completely shocked, and Nayru commenced to put out the fire even though the carpet was soaked for the next couple of days and had to be aired out. It was better than that a house fire.
♠ ♠ ♠
Oops, looks as though there's a bit of confusion here. I wonder what will happen next?