From Angels to Faeries

The Beginning of Faeries

It is true in the beginning, fairies started as angels. The barriers between worlds were open; the mortal realm was open to the underworld and heaven, though it was not always called so. However, that is another story to tell indeed. A war broke out between the gods, where they decided that for the safety of mortals and the gods themselves, the underworld shall be closed. With it all the angels that were trapped on the other side withered away to demons, desperate to escape. And once they saw the effect their decision had on the angels they closed the portal between earth and heaven. All angels that had safely crossed over to heaven stayed, and became the messenger of the gods and goddesses. The angels that were caught on earth were trapped. They were not bad enough to be cast into the underworld like their brothers and sisters, and yet were not good enough to slip between the bars separating heaven and earth. They lingered away, their wings detached from their backs and their holy powers loosing strength.

They fled to the forest to escape the prying eyes of the humans. They were now caught in between a state of being mortal and fallen angels. Some became humble, some became like the humans and some became power thirsty. The rage that they built up was too great for a human heart to burden. Then a cycle began, some of the angels forgot whom they once were and turned into mere mortals and therefore, created mortal offspring. Others declared war on the gods, promising to one day overturn them, and return to heaven, it were these who became the most hateful of creatures, they trained their offspring to be filled with hate and honed their powers, reminding them of the gods that had trapped them there.

It was the others, who had not forgotten whom they were, and did not hate nor love the gods as they once had. They blended well with the mortals, yet they still retained their otherworldly looks. However, as they had accepted what had happened, their powers had faded to the back of their minds, and slowly as the decades passed vanished all together with neglect.

One day, they were faced with a gang of fallen angels, which was the term that they had come to use of an angel with no wings yet held the same power, one who had seen the beauty of heaven and had returned over the threshold into the mortal world. They found that they were too humble to fight back, and otherwise too weak and without defence. Once the spirits of the forest saw this, they took pity on beings. They shrunk their size till they were only five inches tall at the highest point and gifted them with powers. They gave each a power over an element, earth, wind, water, fire and spirit. The animals also took pity on them as well, the insects ripped their wings off their backs and with magic, made them attach to their backs, and change size and form until they fitted each individual.

The butterflies took pity on the females, not wanting to see their beauty and grace go to waste, and therefore tore off their own wings and presented them to the females. The bugs and insects gave pity to the males, not wanting to see their strength and agility go to waste. So they gifted them with silent yet powerful wings. The flowers took pity on them as well, and made pollen for them that never ran out, and sprinkled a little over each person, which whenever they flew, would leave a small trail that seemed the same as small gold glitter.
It was from this that fairies were born, though that was not the original name. It has long been forgotten as the tongues of people had changed and evolved the words.

Over time, they had learned to switch between forms, a short, beautiful human looking form, and their fairy form. They would never feel comfortable in the form of a human, but it was for camouflage. As word grew of the new creature, rumours did too. As they grew more scared, the forest spirits offered sanctuary, as long as they would guard the forest.

Then as time went, the women stopped bearing offspring, as they struggled to save their dying race; they came up with a solution. When humans gave birth, the fairies would shed their human forms and sneak into their cribs on the night of their birth. They would sprinkle the pollen from their wings over the baby. After sixty four seasons the baby would begin to change into a fairy itself. Alas, when they realized that they could not sprinkle every baby with their special pollen, they decided every thousand babies that were born; one would be gifted with an extra form.

Till this day, that is the way they are born. From developing to strong angels, to being a hybrid of angel and human, to being gifted by the spirits of the earth and allowing their forms to change into that as known as fairies. However, in human form they would be gifted with the richest of locks and flawless skin, perfectly symmetrical features, short stature and the gift of eternal youth. However, they would constantly crave outdoors, and never fit in, always feeling itchy in their own skins. It were these that were the true fairies.