The End.

004.

I rolled over onto my side, hitting my ribs with what felt like a brick. Grumbling I sat up. I was the first to be awake. Emma, Nathan, Brandon, all of them were snoring soundly in a corner. Being me, I had somehow managed to roll away from the group and towards the door. Which left me dangerously close to the steps leading up to the shop above. And for all I know, that shop could be inhabited with zombies. Swallowing, I raked a grubby hand through my hair and got up, pushing the mask away from me.
"Emma, Bammy, get up." I whined, pushing the two that were sat with their heads together. They looked quite alike, both with dark hair, both with green eyes. Both with pale skin. My best friend stirred but Bam looked up at me from under his eyelids.
"Up." I repeated, crossing my arms and leaning on one hip. Bam grumbled and ignored me, pulling Emma's cat tail around himself. I groaned and moved to try and wake Nathan, I didn't know why I hadn't tried waking him first. We could have both tried to wake the sleeping twosome sitting together.
"Nate, get your ass up." I told him firmly, I wasn't being loud. You couldn't be loud down here, if there were things that could kill you overhead, you didn't want them to hear you. Nate swept his browning-blonde hair out of his eyes and rocked up from his place and looked at me.
"Why are you up?" He asked me, he had a nice voice. A strangely Northern British accent to it though. Why was it strange? Because he had always told me he was from South London.
"I saw your face in my dream and had to open my eyes to get away from it." I remarked, stretching my arms up above my head. Rose didn't reply and turned around to get a drink. Our water was often reused. Yeah.. one night it would be stew, the next morning it would be our wash water.

Fifteen minutes later and we're all up. Emma's checked what's going on outside by shifting a brick about an inch away from the others. A crack of sunshine beamed through the small vertical opening. It was soon covered with Emma's eye as she looked out at the world. Now we were listening to her report while we packed. It seemed no one was having second thoughts on the whole survivor finding thing. I wasn't, of course not, it was my idea. But I was a little on edge. "Well, it's sunny, seems pretty empty. That's probably because so many people are dead though." She frowned, creasing her forehead as she tied her hair back. Her dark hair was short, but when it was sunny she tied it up so it wouldn't make her neck sweaty. "And from what I could see, minimal undead." She was still in her cat outfit, but the hood was down and the tail had been ripped off. It snagged on a door and tore off, leaving a small hole by her bum. "Sounds good," Nate spoke, despite he was usually the voice of authority, he seemed a little nervous. "Emma, Bam, can you both go pack from the bathroom?" There was a bathroom in the basement, a flaw in original designs but it was useful for hiding out. Emma narrowed her eyes at me but dragged Brandon towards the bathroom anyway, hauling a duffel bag with them. Nate turned to me, an eyebrow cocked and a sly smile on his face. I sighed.
"May I have a hug?" I whimpered, lowering my eyes before shutting them tight. I always tried to be strong but sometimes I needed a hug too. We all did.

Ten minutes after our hug, we were all packed and were staring at the stairs. The four of us each held a gun, I had a shotgun, Emma had an uzi and the lads both carried two different guns. One was a small firearm, the other was large. We each had a messenger bag, each stuff with two cans of food, one sentimental item and the rest was ammo and medical packs. Looking at the cold stairs, I kicked a stone towards them. It bounced back off and rolled into a corner. Three of us looked back at the home we had shared together for the past six months then looked at one another. Nate was looking down at the ground, stiff and seemed to have something to say.
"What is it pal?" Emma asked him gently as Bam placed a hand on his shoulder.
"If one of us..falls, what do we do?"
"Well we can't stop." I piped up, fed up with standing back.
"Katie!" Bam snapped, looking at me.
"What? If we do, we face all of us dying. We've lived together for a long time, and I trust each and every one of you, so I do not wish to harm you. If I fall, I want one of you to shoot me, don't let me get eaten alive." I admitted, shifting slightly. Emma looked at me, tears brimming in her eyes. She ran over to me and hugged her, I hugged her tightly, breathing in shakily. "If I fall," she started, "shoot the fuckers in the head then shoot me." We had our arms around one another but we still giggled. "Alright. Nate? Bam? What do you want to happen if you fall?" I asked, parting from Emma and taking the safety off of a pistol I carried in my bag. One sentimental item. Another gun. Bam started talking. "Shoot me, then shoot whoever's trying to eat me, then run." "Okay Bam. Nate?" Emma asked, wiping her eyes before running her fingers over a silver necklace she wore at all times.
"Shoot them, shoot me, don't look back." "We're decided then, we'll shoot ieach other." We all agreed then started climbing the steps.

I was first. I was first out, first to unlock the hatch and peer out warily into the shop I had once spent many afternoons sleeping in. It was abandoned, but I was still careful, still frightened as my pulse drummed out a beat that galloped through my nerves. The hatch was moved away, and we got out. The shop was empty, but looking out the windows, small signs of movement could be seen. We all tensed, I held my shot gun up, shaking slightly. Why did our generation bring in the undead?