I'm Not Insane

From Day One

Brooke stared out at the world beyond her room through her iron barred window and sighed. She had been at the asylum for a week now and she had hardly said anything to anyone but her sister Angie, who was a nurse there at the asylum.
“Brooke Ackhart?”

Brooke looked around and saw a nurse, reading her name tag that read ‘Rosalie Parker’.

“Your sister wanted me to let you know you’ll be sharing a room with Jade for a while.”

Brooke nodded and collected her things from her dresser and desk, giving Rosalie a quick nod as if to say ‘Lead the way, I’m ready.’

Brooke followed as Rosalie lead her down the hall to a room with who she assumed was Jade, a girl with long black hair and a fair complexion, sitting on her bed and staring out the nearby window.

“Jade this you’re new roommate Brooke.” Rosalie said sweetly.

Jade gave a quick nod to acknowledge Brooke’s existence and continued staring out the window.

“Brooke, get settled. You two have group in five minutes and don’t try and skip it again.”

Brooke rolled her eyes and shoved her clothes and notebooks into her dresser.
“This is so stupid,” She mumbled.

“I know what you mean but just try to make the best of it.” Jade spoke up as she faced Brooke.

“This sucks though. I mean they force pills down my throat and all because of one little mishap.” Brooke frowned, knowing that there was nothing little about attempted arson.

“How long have you been here?”

Brooke sighed, “I’ve been here two weeks and it’s driving me crazier than they claim I am.”

Jade smiled and stifled a small laugh, “You’ll get used to it, trust me, I’ve been here for six months.”

“I would’ve gone off the deep end by then. How do you manage?”

Jade shrugged, “I have no idea. I just listen mainly.”

“Well that sounds boring.” Brooke muttered.

“It is but it helps.”

Brooke nodded and followed Jade as she walked into the group session room. She spotted a group of empty chairs and took a seat in one of empty chairs, wanting for group to be over already. Then as group started Brooke ignored everyone there especially the bitchy psychologist, Ms. Saltzman.

“Brooke what do you think about suicide?” Ms. Saltzman asked, obviously becoming annoyed with Brooke’s lack of participation.

“Make sure you do it right the first time or you end up in hell holes like this.”

Brooke smirked, knowing that her answer would probably send the psychologist over the edge. In fact it did and it also caused a mixed reaction from some of the patients in the group, some laughing and others shocked that she had the balls to say what she had.

“Miss Ackhart we do not talk like that ever.” Ms. Saltzman practically hissed at Brooke.

Brooke scoffed, “Well I just did.”

Ms. Saltzman ended the group session soon after that, leaving Brooke with a smile on her face.

“You’re name is Brooke right?” A guy Brooke recognized from group asked.

“Yeah, I’m Brooke. Why?”

“I just wanted to introduce myself I’m Zacky.” He smiled nervously, holding out his hand.

Brooke shook his hand, “Nice to meet you Zee.”

“Same here, you were amazing back there. No one usually messes with Saltzman.”

“Well she honestly has no place giving us therapy when she’s so screwy.”

“You know, I honestly think out of all the people here you’re one of the ones who don’t belong here.”

Brooke smiled, biting her lip slightly before giving Zacky a quick kiss on the cheek.

“You’re sweet Zee. Want to hang out later?”

“Uh sure, how about during dinner?”

Brooke smiled, “Or I can chill with you during room time and we can actually talk without being watched.”

“Won’t you get caught though?”

“I always sneak out of my room to the music room during room time. I’ve never gotten caught once.”

She giggled as Zacky stood there quietly as if he was thinking deeply about something.

“It’s not that hard to choose Zee, yes and I come or no and I don’t.”

“I just don’t want you to get caught.” Zacky answered honestly.

Brooke smirked, “I won’t get caught Zacky. I’m a professional at sneaking out.”

Zacky gave her a look and chuckled, “I guess I’ll see you at room time then.”

Brooke kissed his cheek again, smiling as she walked away, “See you then Zee.”

Brooke turned the corner as she headed back to her room and genuinely smiled. She thought Zacky was cute and hopefully they would have a lot on common.

“What are you happy about,” a voice asked snapping her out of thoughts.

“Nothing…”

“You haven’t genuinely smiled since you got here now spill.” Angie smiled, hoping her sister would tell her.

“You know Zacky right?”

“The one from your group? Yeah? Why, do you like him?”

Brooke nodded, “So what can you tell me about him?”

“All I can tell you is that he’s been here for two years and he suffers from paranoia.” Angie said, brushing a strand of her brown highlighted hair from her face.

“Wow, two years in here and I would’ve gone off the deep end.”

“It’s not that bad here Brooke if you just listen and follow the rules.”

Brooke frowned, “Fine I’ll try to later.”

“Thanks Brooke. Now go head back to your room it’s almost noon.”

“I know room time so you ‘normal’ people can have some free time from us ‘crazy’ people.”

Angie rolled her eyes and said jokingly, “Brooke just go before I smack you.”

“Aye, aye captain.” Brooke saluted and turned the corner down the hall towards her room, making sure no one was nearby when she headed towards Zacky’s room. She knocked on Zacky’s door and heard what sounded like something falling onto a bed.

“Zacky its Brooke, are we still cool to hang out?” She asked as she walked into his room and spotted Zacky hiding on his bed from something.

“Zacky are you okay?”

Zacky looked up and nodded, “You just freaked me out when you knocked on the door.”

Brooke frowned, “I’m sorry.”

“It’s fine,” Zacky said as he sat up, “So what did you want to do while we hang out?”

“I was thinking twenty questions so we can get to know each other.”

Zacky smiled, “That’s fine with me.”