I'm Not Insane

From Day One

Zacky stared his parents down as they stood in the doorway of his new room, at his new 'home.'

Some home this is. He thought, as a nurse ushered his parents out. He laid back on the twin sized bed and looked at the white, plain ceiling. He hated his parents for forcing him to come to the mental institution. He would've gotten over his paranoia, it just would have taken time. Time they wouldn't have wanted to give you. It's all about your brother. A voice in his head slipped in. He grunted and got up.

"Shut up." He muttered aloud, exiting the room. He went to the cafeteria, noticing his good friend, Matt. He sat by the burly singer and put his head in his hands. "This is screwed up." He said, trying to choose his words wisely. Matt just nodded. Zacky rubbed his face and glanced at Matt, patted his back, then got up and roamed the halls, with no intentions. He just wanted to walk.

That's how every day was at the institution. All Zacky ever did was eat, sleep and skip group. On occasion he'd slip to the gym to go at the punching bag, or he'd go to the music room to play his guitar, but that was it. It wasn't until two years later, when he was forced to go to group, that his life finally got interesting. By that time, Zacky played by the rules. He had received too many shocks, and too much time in solitary to break the rules. The only time he would was to skip group, because there were no repercussions for that.

So there he was, in that uncomfortable plastic chair, staring at the so-called psychologist . She was nearly as bad as the nurses; not in the sense that she was cruel, he just thought she was on the brink of insanity, much like himself. As she rambled on and on, and people batted jokes at her, she became more and more angry. He just sat with his tattooed arms folded across this chest, sighing every time she'd yell. He had finally gotten used to her yelling, but he would still flinch from time to time. Stupid paranoia.

"Make sure you do it right the first time, or you'll end up in hell holes like this." He heard from an unfamiliar voice. He snapped back to reality and looked at the girl; she was new. He laughed at her answer to whatever question Ms. Saltzman had asked, then laughed more when she flew off the axel. She finally got so frustrated, she dismissed the loons. Zacky caught up with the girl that smarted off to Ms. Saltzman and tapped her arm.

"Your name is Brooke, right?” He asked her, smiling shyly.

“Yeah, I’m Brooke. Why?” She answered him

“I just wanted to introduce myself I’m Zacky.” He smiled nervously, holding out his hand.

Brooke shook his hand, “Nice to meet you, Zee.”

“Same here, you were amazing back there. No one usually messes with Saltzman.” He rubbed the back of his neck.

“Well she honestly has no place giving us therapy when she’s so screwy.” She countered

“You know, I honestly think out of all the people here you’re one of the ones who don’t belong here.” Zacky admitted, examining her face. She was beautiful. He blushed lightly when she reached up and kissed his cheek. It shocked him a bit.

“You’re sweet, Zee. Want to hang out later?” He froze a bit, that would mean breaking the rules, and possibly a shock or solitary. She seemed genuinely nice and funny though...

“Uh sure, how about during dinner?” He found himself answering.

Brooke smiled, “Or I can chill with you during room time and we can actually talk without being watched.”

“Won’t you get caught though?”

“I always sneak out of my room to the music room during room time. I’ve never gotten caught once.”

She giggled while he thought the possibilities over. Then his mind drifted to figuring out that this hell hole has made him more paranoid than he was in the first place. He was quite scatter-brained.

“It’s not that hard to choose Zee, yes and I come or no and I don’t.” Zacky shook his head to come back to reality.

“I just don’t want you to get caught.” Zacky answered honestly.

Brooke smirked, “I won’t get caught Zacky. I’m a professional at sneaking out.”

He gave her a look, then chuckled softly, “I guess I’ll see you at room time then.”

She kissed her cheek again, then began walking off. “See you then Zee.”

Zacky watched her walk away, then started back to his room with a wide smile. He was beginning to like her, and he had only met her. When he got to his small room, he picked up his guitar and picked at a few notes. Lyrics swarmed his head, and he played out the words randomly. He pulled out a notebook and began writing down the notes and words, smiling at the sudden inspiration, until he heard a knock. He yelped and jumped up, hiding in the corner.

“Zacky its Brooke, are we still cool to hang out?” Brooke walked in his room, he was still in the corner with his hands keeping his head safe. “Zacky are you okay?”

Zacky looked up and nodded, “You just freaked me out when you knocked on the door.”

She frowned and approached him, “I’m sorry.”

“It’s fine,” He told her as he sat up, “So what did you want to do while we hang out?”

“I was thinking twenty questions so we can get to know each other.”

He smiled, “That’s fine with me.”

Zacky had never been this comfortable with anyone. He had never told anyone his past, or his present for that matter, let alone shared his whole life story. He figured twenty questions would be just random questions, like 'Pepsi or Coke?' Brooke was much deeper than that, though and he greatly enjoyed it. He felt better after finally having someone to open up to; he was just afraid she would lead him on and leave, like everyone else. It was getting close to lights out, so he hugged her goodbye and sat back on his bed, going back to the song inspired by her.