Status: Awesome.

Bastards of Young

Eleven.

My mother’s voice on the other end was starting to sound like the adults on the old Peanuts cartoons as she went on and on about gossip back home and the Valentines cookies I should have received by now. I listened with the occasional ‘uh-huh’ automatically thrown in as I sat behind the counter balancing a pen on my nose. Work was dead and Rodney had called in sick – life was lonely at 1408 this Valentine’s Day.

“So, tell me about this new boy,” I could almost see Mom’s grin as I rolled my eyes in amusement.

“You’ve been wanting to bring him up the whole time haven’t you?”

“All I’ve had is your father for the last thirty years – I need to hear about new meat every once in a while.”

Mom!”

“What?”

“He’s a good guy. That’s all you’re getting.”

“You’re no fun, Jean. What does he do,” Gossip to Mom was like a mushroom to Mario. She thrived off it.

“He works in a pizza shop and plays in a band – a pretty big underground punk band actually.”

“Oh God, there goes your virginity.”

I laughed nervously. “You’re crazy, Mom….” It’s the job of every Southern girl to keep her mother believing she’s deserving of that white dress on her wedding day.

“Just be careful. You know those musicians get around.”

Mom!”

“Well, Jean it’s true!”

There was a thud on the window next to me that caused me to jump. Billie had his face smashed up against the glass as he made dumb faces at me.

“Yeah, you’re right. He’s bound to have something,” I couldn’t help but giggle as Billie pulled back, grinning from ear to ear toothily. He started to walk towards the front entrance. “But I gotta go, Mom. A customer just walked in.”

“Okay, I love you!”

“Love you, too,” As I put the phone back on the receiver I was pretty sure I heard Mom shout something about avoiding the Clap.

Billie flung the door open and took a big, dramatic step into the store. “Hey there, pretty lady,” he said seductively as he leaned on the door frame.

I grinned and leaned on the counter with a hand under my chin. “What’s up, handsome?”

Billie walked up to the counter and leaned down to give me a kiss on the forehead. “Just wanted to drop by and see you since we can’t really do anything tonight,” Billie bit his lip and continued, “Are you sure you’re okay with that?”

“Yes, Billie!”

“I just feel bad. I mean, it’s our first…,” I silenced him with my hand over his mouth.

“Billie. It’s your mom. I’m not going to steal you from tradition after a week.”

He pulled my hand from over his mouth. “You’re cool.”

“I’m glad you’ve finally realized.” I looked at my watch with a sigh. It was only 3:30. “It’s been dead all day.”

“Where’s the boss man?”

“Called in sick.”

“That’s bullshit!”

“Tell me about it.”

Billie looked around in thought before shrugging. “So, let’s blow this pop stand.”

“What?”

“Let’s ditch this place and go have some fun,” Billie grabbed my hand and guided me out of the counter area so that nothing was between us anymore. “Life’s too short to waste it here,” he made me do a spin. “We’re young and in like and we have the whole town at our finger tips.” He capped off his spirited monologue with a tender kiss.

“Valentine’s Day turns you into a sap,” I said giving him an affectionate poke in the side.

He jumped slightly and grabbed my free hand. “Only when I have some one worth being sappy over.” He gave me another tender kiss as my stomach erupted into butterflies.

“I’ll get my jacket,” I said turning away to hide my goofy grin and beat red face.

The back room was a bit disheveled since I had basically been going through all the records back there for songs to put on a new tape I was making to fall asleep to. As I pulled my old leather jacket off the couch the lights in the room went out and the door shut. “Billie?”

“What,” I could hear excited laughter in his voice.

“What are you doing,” I said returning the laughter while attempting to reach out and find him.

“Having some fun,” his voice was now behind me.

“Well, be careful… there are still,” there was a loud crack to my side where I guess Billie had moved to, “…records on the floor.”

“Woops, I’ll pay for it,” the laughter was becoming more predominate.

I chuckled and moved to where his voice was coming from, “Don’t worry about it.”

“I’m not over there anymore,” he taunted from my left.

“God, stop moving,” I felt weights on either side of my waist and what I assumed was Billie’s chin came to rest on my shoulder.

“Okay,” he whispered into my ear, sending chills down my spine. I felt his hand under my shirt, rubbing up and down my sides as he nipped at my neck.

“What’s gotten into you today,” I giggled like a dumb school girl.

“I don’t know,” he said turning me around so that we were facing each other. “You’re just extra cute today.” With that he kissed me passionately as he pulled me as close as our bodies could get. I ran my hands through his hair and began to tug gently, grinning into the kiss as he allowed a muffled, “Fuck,” escape from his lips.

Breaking the kiss he leaned over to pick me up bridal style. Reconnecting, he started to move forward. “Billie, hang on,” I said pulling back.

“What,” he panted as he continued to carry me to the couch. There was a thud followed by Billie’s grip getting painfully tighter. “Ow, shit,” he exclaimed through clenched teeth.

Getting untangled from his arms I held his face in my hands and leaned my forehead against his laughing. “There’s a coffee table.”

“I think I broke my fucking knee!”

“Oh, suck it up.”

“I should have dropped your ass!”

I gave him a kiss.

“It’s my knee that’s hurt, woman.”

Rolling my eyes, I kneeled down and kissed where I guessed his knee was. “Better?”

“Much… but I know of some other places you could kiss while you’re down there.” I suddenly realized his evil plan and smacked his knee before standing again. Billie cussed at me, but didn’t object when I grabbed the front of his shirt and brought him into another kiss. Without breaking the kiss or my hold on his t-shirt, I guided us safely to the couch.

“Hang on a second,” Billie said while we were still standing, “Let’s… you know, like… get undressed before we get down there.”

“Okay,” I said tugging my shirt over my head. The frantic shuffling in front of me indicated Billie was doing the same thing. I heard the jingle of his belt buckle coming undone followed shortly by the sound of his pants being chucked across the room. Giggling, I unhooked my bra.

“Hurry up,” Billie barked comically as he attempted to help me with my pants. “It’s freezing!”

“Slow down, hoss! Don’t forget protection.”

“Oh, shit,” I heard him take a step in the direction of where he had thrown his pants. Yet again a loud thud filled the room. “Fucking table!!”

----

“You’re welcome, by the way,” Billie said as he turned on the lamp next the couch a few minutes later.

I scoffed as I spread out the blanket from behind the couch. “I never said thank you,” I wrapped the both of us up as Billie laid back down. Our feet stuck out at the other end, but it was still considerably warmer.

“Your cries of passion said it all. OW!”

I bit his chest as I nestled my head into it. “Don’t get cocky.”

“I just got very cocky all up in -- OW! Sorry!”

“I can’t believe we just had sex for the first time on Valentine’s Day… it’s so…”

“Cheesie?”

“Yeah.”

“We’ll just never tell anyone. Tracy still thinks she walked in on us the other night.”

We were quiet for a long time after that. I had thought Billie had drifted off until he said, “We have a lot of major relationship milestones in this place.”

“I don’t think I’m too cool with that either.”

“I think it’s perfect. I mean we just fucked under an original Beatles show poster… that’s like my wettest of wet dreams.” I laughed and agreed that was pretty kickass. “I mean just think... like over there,” Billie pointed to the opposite corner of the room where there was an old promotional cut out of Elvis. “That’s where I’ll propose. And we’ll get married in front of the R&B section – we’ll need plenty of Al Green and Marvin Gaye handy for later,” he wiggled his eyebrows as I cracked up.

“And our children will definitely have to be born in the R section of Rock/Pop,” I said between laughs.

Billie got a big grin on his face. “Why?”

“So the first thing their tiny hands hold is a Replacements record, duh.”

Billie sat up causing me to rise as well. His eyes slowly scanned every inch of my face with his grin still intact. “You are doing a great job of being unforgettable, Jean Clarke.”