Sequel: Next Level
Status: Completed :) Wow....

Have We Gone Too Far?

Chapter 37

“I want to know,” I said confidently. “Just tell me.”

“He...”

“Spit it out!” I shouted, wow I'm getting caught up in this. Why do I care what he did then? It’s what he does now that counts.

“He had... a sexual relationship with a ten year old when he was younger,” he whispered.

What? He wouldn't do that! Cole would never do something like that.

“You’re lying,” I muttered.

“No I'm not Zack. But it was a long time ago, so don’t worry about it.”

“I'm not going to,” I hissed at him.

I looked down at the floor for a while to think about what I’ve just been told. We don’t need to let this change anything, do we? Like John said it was a long time ago. He wouldn't use me like that. I love him and he loves me.

“Zack, that’s why I'm a bit edgy with you; I know what you and Cole have done together.”

“I don’t know what you’re on about,” I grunted.

“The first night you met you had sex with him; do you really think he did know your age?”

“Of course he didn’t,” I sighed. “He’s not like that anymore. He loves me.”

“Did he tell you that?”

“Shut up John,” I muttered. “I know you’re trying to split us up; it’s not going to work.”

“You think I'm making this up!” he shouted.

“You might be.”

Why is he so horrible? And it’s not like he can’t help it because he’s clearly acting this way on purpose. I mean you wouldn't even bring that sort of thing up if you weren’t planning on telling someone. He’s obviously trying to split us up.

“For a moment I thought you were alright but now I know what your game is,” he said but I think it was more an observation than something he wanted me to respond to. Oh well, he can’t stop my reactions.

“What are you on about?”I asked him. “I don’t have a game!”

“You want him for the sex; right?”

“NO!” I yelled at him.

“So why did you sleep with him when you knew how much older he was?”

I remained silent that time because I can’t really remember why. He wanted me to and I didn’t want to say no. It’s not like I came onto him or anything. Cole defiantly started it.

“It wasn't like that,” I mumbled.

“What was it like then?” he asked me.

“Cole w-wanted me to d-do it,” I stuttered.

“Maybe Cole only wants the sex.”

That was the final straw; I don’t have to sit here and take this from him. in fact, I'm not going to. I stood up and walked out of the room.

“Don't follow me!” I grunted as I went into the kitchen.

God he’s a pain. Why does he have to stir things so much? I hate him! I hate him! I hate him! He’s a... he’s a? I don’t even know what to call him I'm that angry. Stupid bloody John; trying to ruin absolutely everything; I hate him so much!

I lent back against the kitchen top for a while because I was expecting John to join me in here soon even though I told him not to. Surprisingly though he never came. Perhaps he wants me to calm down before he starts winding me up again. That sort of makes sense, I suppose.

***

A little while later John shouted me back into the living room, saying that Cole was on the phone and wanted to talk to me. Hesitantly I went in andtook snatched the phone of him.

“Are you alright?” he asked me. “Are you safe? Did you get out okay?”

As he spoke he sounded so worried that it had me shaking all over again. He must care so much for me if he’s acting this way.

“I'm fine Cole,” I whispered gratefully. “Thanks for getting me out,” I sniffed as I thought about what would’ve happened without him. “What’s happening where you are?”

“Well, your dad’s gone now but I obviously had to say I hadn’t seen you when Mr. Walker came knocking. You don’t mind do you?”

“No it’s okay,” I sighed. “I’ll just say I ran off... it’s not the first time I’ve done that,” I smiled.

“I didn’t think you’d mind,” he chuckled a little.

“So, what happens now?” I asked him. “Do I stay here, come back to school?”

“You can stay if you like. I mean, it’ll be hard to get you back here again-”

“I don’t exactly have good company here,” I grunted loud enough for John to hear.

I heard John mumble something offensive about me but I just ignored him and laughed it off. He’s such an idiot!

“What’s funny?” Cole asked.

“You’re brother’s a freak!” I laughed.

“That he is,” Cole chuckled. “Are you going to stay with him or do you want me to make him bring you back?”

I didn’t want to stay with John but I’m not particularly keen on the idea of heading back to school. I’d have to explain why I left and I don’t think I could do that.

Cole noticed that I was finding it a little hard to make my mind up.

“If you come in I’ll watch out for you if that’s what you’re worrying about. And you’ll be safer with me seeing as...” he stopped at that bit which made me get all panicked.

“Seeing as what?” I asked. “Cole?”

“Nothing,” he whispered.

“It’s not nothing!” I shouted for some reason. I didn’t need to but I did it anyway.

“Be quiet a sec Zack,” he hissed and then it went quiet. “I think someone’s in here.”

“What?” I asked him. “Are you being serious?”

After a pause all I could here was Cole moving around and checking the cupboards to see if he could find anything.

“Just ignore me,” he laughed. “No one’s here.”

He had me worried then. I sighed in relief but then remembered he was in the middle of telling me something.

“Cole, why’d I be safer with you?” I asked him.

He let out a sigh and then took a deep breath.

“You know those texts you were getting this morning? Well quite a few more have come through,” he mumbled. “They’re less likely to do anything if you’re at the school.”

After that I just stayed quiet. If Cole thinks that I need to be with him to be safe then that must mean he thinks these are more than meaningless threats. He must think it’s more than a joke. This means they might actually find me. They might hurt me!

I allowed tears to start falling down my cheeks. I'm so scared now I can’t move; I can’t even speak!

“Zacky, are you alright?” he asks softly. “I won’t let them near you; don’t worry. In fact, if you want me to I’ll come and get you and then you can stay with me.”

I just about managed to nod but then I realized he couldn’t see me. Great, now I’ve somehow got to speak.

“Help me Cole,” I cried.

“Of course I’ll help,” he said supportively. “I love you Zack-”

In the background I heard a loud banging noise and then Cole cussed down the phone and asked someone why they were in his office.

“I need to speak to someone,” the person answered. The voice was familiar but I couldn’t quite place my finger on whose it was.

“I’ll be with you in a bit babes,” he said into the phone before hanging up and most likely going back to whoever it was in his room.

“Cole?” I said even though I knew he wasn't there.

Whoever it is in that room with Cole, probably heard our whole conversation; every single word of it. What do we do now? They might not have realized he was talking to me... but what if they have? Crap I don’t want to think about things like that. If our secret gets out I will not be able to cope anymore.
♠ ♠ ♠
Dun Dun Dunnnn
The next chapter will be in Cole's point of view so you can find out who's there...

Thanks to
Heaven Help Us
Moosey
rossakamfzb
flutterby13 (new commenter)
Danny Worsnop
Heart Shaped Locket
Juliepop
For commenting :)