Sequel: Next Level
Status: Completed :) Wow....

Have We Gone Too Far?

Chapter 80 (Cole's Point of View)

After calling Zack, I just wanted to get out of the school as soon as possible just so that I could see him again. I was worried about him. There’s been so much going on for him and it’s sometimes hard to tell how he’s coping with it all.

His problems are dated back to before we even met. I can’t even be certain that I know about everything he’s been through. What if things were even worse than I thought they were for him? I hate even imaging how hard growing up must be with abusive parents.

I grabbed my bag and my coat and keys from the cupboard in my office so I could leave and head back to my house. By now I'm guessing he’ll already be there...with Zan of course.

As I left my office I bumped into Mr. Markham again. He gave me a friendly smile, looking just as happy as I was that I’d managed to cheer myself up a little now.

“Thanks for before,” I told him. “It did help.”

He nodded at me.

“Someone told me something similar when I was about your age, sometimes a good word of advice is all you need,” he said as he continued walking down the corridor, most likely to visit his own office.

“I’ll see you tomorrow,” I called after him before walking off in the opposite direction and heading out to the car park.

When I got outside I saw two faces that looked pretty familiar to me, hanging around just outside the school gates. I squinted my eyes as I looked over at them, but then frowned as I managed to identify the two. One of them was one of Zack’s friends; Jake. The other was the girl from the class I had earlier; Miranda. I wasn't too sure why they were together, seeing as as far as I know they hate each other...Maybe I'm wrong.

I didn't give them any more thought as I climbed into my car and started the engine. I really need to get home soon.

The journey to my house felt like it was taking forever, but I suppose time does drag at the times you wish it would pass quickly.

I pulled up on the drive and almost as soon as I was parked and had turned the engine off, I jumped out of the car and jogged my way up to the door.

When I opened it I saw Zack running down the stairs to meet me. A smile found its way to my face when I saw him. He was running to greet me. That must mean he missed me and wanted to see me, right? My smile dropped and I started feeling really uneasy when I realized something. Zack’s never like this. Sure, at times he’s gladder than others to see me, but this is just...odd. Why would he be running from upstairs? What if? ...No.

He clearly seemed nervous about something and I just wish that I knew what it was. I hate it when he hides things from me, even though he doesn’t do that very often anymore. He’d only not tell me something if it was really big and if he thought it would hurt me. If what I'm thinking is right, then I sure as hell would be hurt.

I dropped my bag down on the floor and locked the front door behind me. As soon as I turned around I felt Zack on me; his hands tying together around my neck. Even though my mind was telling me I had to ask him what’s been going on, I couldn’t yet. This feels like the first time we’ve been so close in ages now. I should make the most out of it.

I wrapped my arms around his waist and pulled him closer to me. Just as I did this he began nuzzling his head into my chest. He’s so cute. I can’t help loving him, especially at times like this.

“I'm glad you came,” I whispered into his ear.

He nodded his head against me and then looked up into my eyes. I smiled at him and lifted my hand, then lightly poked his nose with my finger. He blushed at this action and then looked back down in attempt to hide it.

A small sigh escaped from my mouth when I thought about everything that’s happened to get to this. How did we end up like this? I'm meant to be his teacher, but now, it’s like none of that even matters to us anymore. I'm not too sure if that’s a good thing or bad really.

“Where’s John and Zan?” I asked him.

I felt his body tense at the sound of Zan’s name. That’s all I need. I'm not jealous. Of course I'm not, those two are just friends. Strange thing is; he doesn’t feel the need to tense up when we talk about some of his other friends. It only happens with Zander...

“John’s in the living room,” he told me. “Z-Zan’s upstairs,” he muttered, rushing out his words.

He tried to cover up the stuttering of his voice, but it didn't work. They’ve done something. I can tell. If he doesn’t just tell me about what happened... I have no idea what I’d do.

“Right,” I whispered, staying calm.
I'm probably just thinking things through too much. All of this probably means nothing at all.

“I need to move now,” I whispered. He shrugged his shoulders at me. “I need you to let go so I can walk,” I chuckled as he lifted his legs up and wrapped them around my waist.

“You can walk now,” he grinned at me.

Oh Zack.

Carefully I made my way into the living room, doing my best to keep a tight hold of Zack as I went in to see John. I had to try not to laugh when I walked in. He was collapsed on my sofa, fast asleep and snoring so loud that I'm surprised I couldn’t hear him from the hallway earlier.

I put Zacky down on one of the chairs and told him to be as quiet as possible while I went to get us some drinks. We had to be quiet because of the lazy sleeping brother I have who’s deep in dream world on my couch; I decided we’d best not disturb him. As funny as it would be to see his face if I forced him up, he tends to get angry when he doesn’t get his sleep and when he gets angry, John generally turns violent. And a violent brother plus my face being anywhere near him tends to lead to something ugly evolving.

As I poured our drinks in the kitchen I thought about Zack, which is becoming something that I do a lot now. That dream I had earlier today; it felt so real. What if it means something? When the time comes, what if I can’t protect him? If any of these guys get near him and hurt him I don’t know how I’d live with myself. Especially after telling him how safe he’d be with me.

I should probably stop making promises that I'm not sure that I can keep. I’ve said that everything’s going to be fine to him so many times now, but I don’t know that’s true. Not only is Mr. Baker out there, but there’s those people sending him text messages. I still have his phone and let me tell you, it’s definitely more than some kid’s idea of a sick joke now. Before I thought it was certainly that, but now, I'm not so sure/

As if on cue, in my pocket I felt another vibration from Zack’s phone. Another text. It was as if they knew what I was thinking. I clenched my fist as I read what it said. Why won’t they leave him alone? Seriously why would anyone do this to him? Some of the things the messages have said in the past have actually made me cry. At times I wonder how Zack would’ve been if I didn't take away his phone. He would’ve been the one reading those messages. I felt sick as I read it; this is taking a joke way too far.

We know where you are Zacky and guess what? That’s right, we are going to hurt you. See you tonight buddy.

A tear formed in my eye but I managed to get rid of it; I can’t let Zack know about anything. As long as I'm him here he’ll be fine... I hope. They wouldn't do anything with witnesses, unless they plan on getting rid of them too. Crap.

Well it’s not as if it’s just me here. John will fight anyone off if they come. I know he will. And Zan...well, I doubt he’ll be much help in this situation, he might even become a distraction, but it’s not like I can do anything about that now.

Why am I even thinking about this? It’ll just be some sick person trying to scare him. No one’s really coming.

Another text came; this time a picture message and this one really scared me. How the hell did they take this picture? I looked at it a few times just to make sure what I was seeing was right. It was.

How would they get a bloody picture if they weren’t actually going to do anything?

It was a view that I was very familiar with; the view you’d get if you were looking into my living room from outside; and Zack was sitting there. They know he’s here. They know he’s with me. They probably know everything! Wait a sec; this means they’re outside right now. They’re here.

“Zack,” I called over to him. “Can you come here a second?” I asked, my voice shaking with the fear that was erupting inside of me. “Wake John up please,” I added in a much weaker voice.

Zander’s still upstairs. Crap...

He slowly walked into the kitchen with angry looking John beside him. Zack stared at me with a confused look on his face, whilst John looked completely out of it.

“What’s wrong?” Zack asked, seeing the fear in my eyes.

It only took me seconds to work out what I had to do now, and unfortunately I knew Zack wasn't going to like it.

“We need to call the police,” I sniffed, my entire body was shaking and both Zack and John had noticed it now.

“W-what?” he stuttered as his breathing went uneasy. “W-why?” he panicked.

John looked at me wide eyed, but other than that he was seemingly unfazed by any of this.

“I should have done that a long time ago,” I panted feeling awful but still trying to stay strong for Zack’s sake. I could feel my body eating up. Zack shouldn’t even be here with me now. “I'm a student mentor,” I told him. “I'm meant to do what’s best for you, even if you don’t want me to.”

“You have done what’s best for me,” he sniffed, looking at me with desperate eyes.

“No I haven’t,” I whispered, but then did my best to sound stronger, not only for my sake, but for theirs. Those two don’t need to see me falling apart. “You were raped, your parents beat you, you’ve had an abusive teacher, creeps are sending threatening text messages to you,” I said trying to control my tears. “If I called the police straight away none of this would’ve happened. When you told me about your parents I could have told them and they would’ve put you somewhere safe, with a loving family.”

I watched as his facial expression changed and a mixed look of hate and fear appeared on it.

“No they’d put me in care!” he shouted at me. “They wouldn't let me see you-”

“This isn't about me!” I shouted accidentally, making him stare at me with a shocked look. I didn’t mean to shout but it’s true. I shouldn’t be making all of his problems about me. I never should’ve got so close to him. If I wasn't so protective I’d have been able to think straight, make the right choices. “Look, if I told the police about you getting raped they would’ve found Mr. Baker, stopped him doing it to so many other people and he wouldn't have had the chance to get away like he did.”

“The police wouldn't have caught him,” he said sounding certain even through his crying.

“Yes they would Zack,” I hissed. “There’s evidence now they have that picture. And if I told the police about those texts, you’d have been protected. You’d been fine right now,” I sighed, knowing that if it wasn't for me this kid wouldn't ever be in a situation like this.

“This is not your fault. Nothing is your fault! If you did anything wrong it’s only because I wanted you to.”

“Zack you don’t understand!” I said, raising my voice again. “I'm not meant to be in a relationship with you. I shouldn’t forget things and stop acting professional just because you want me to. That’s not a good enough stinking excuse.”

I hated how stern I was being with him, but I knew that if I wasn't he wouldn't get the message I was trying to send him. You need to be straight with him, get to the point as quick as possible.

He shook his head at me. Looking at him made me feel even worse. His face was bright red and completely stained with his tears which were covering his entire face now. His eyes were so red and looked so sore that mine began to hurt too and his fringe was now stuck to his face with the fearful tears that he’d shed. He doesn’t even know what’s going on. I bet he’s thinking all of this is even worse than it actually could end up being.

“Cole,” John said, breathing in deeply and speaking for the first time. “What’s happened?” he asked me.

I took some deep breathes of my own and tried to compose myself before chucking the phone to him, open on the last message that was sent.

“They’re messages for Zack,” I sniffed.

Zack lifted his head up with a shocked expression on his face.

“You said they stopped,” Zack whispered.

I looked at him but couldn’t say anything. I know I lied, but it was only to make him feel better. I never thought it would get this serious.

“Zack... I'm so sorry,” I whispered

“Don't be,” he cried, gasping as he spoke to try and catch his breath. “That doesn’t matter. You did nothing wrong!” he yelled.

“Look, I didn’t tell anyone and now it’s too late,” I said, letting the tears fall this time.

“What do you mean?” he panicked.

John looked up at me. After seeing the last few text messages, I'm sure he’s managed to reach the same conclusion that I have.

“They’re here,” I told him. “The one’s sending you texts are just outside right now watching and waiting.”

“No,” he mumbled, shaking his head frantically. “You said the texts were just jokes. Some kids messing around.”

“Well I was wrong Zack!” I shouted at him again. “They know where you are, they know about you and I and they’re going to hurt you Zack,” I explained to him making him suddenly go silent. “I'm...I’m sorry.”

In the silence I heard a knock at the door which forced us all to freeze in sheer terror because we knew exactly who it was going to be. Oh God, this can’t be happening. Not now! I had a sudden adrenalin rush; I need to get Zack out of here.

“Zack, run,” I told him, my breathing was racing at speeds I didn't know were possible. “Sneak out the back,” I whispered, hoping that whoever was outside didn’t hear me.

He was shaking all over, too scared to even move.

John realized that Zack was going to need a push to leave us all here.

“You need to get out of here,” John said his words strong and voice lot less shaky than my own.

Zack still didn't move. His eyes were glued on the front door, not budging for anything now.

“Zack go!” I said panicking as I heard someone barging into the door. They really wanted to get in.

He jumped after each noise they made. He has to leave! Tears were in my eyes as I thought about what might happen if he didn't get out.

“Zack,” I hissed, begging him to make a move.

“But t-they k-now I'm h-h-here,” he said in an extremely small voice. He was clearly petrified.

“That’s why you need to leave Zack,” I said pushing him towards the back door, but it was too late. The front door flung open and we saw three men standing there. All three sets of eyes landed on us and we knew that this was it. My heart raced as it predicted what was about to happen. It knew only one thing; this is going to end badly.
♠ ♠ ♠
I am really proud of this xD I was actually shaking as i wrote. I got so into this one hehe

I'm not sure if it is as good as it could've been though. When i first wrote it they hadn't had the police involved at all, so that's why Zacky might seem a little over dramatic maybe xD But i think it still worked...I hope.

I just realized they didn't actually call the police...That might be a good thing though...I can't properly remember what i have planned (i tidied away my plan book thing because i couldn't see the floor in my room and it was starting to get annoying) I know where it is though so i shall check it later :)

John! :) Sorry, but i know we have a few John fans out there xD And a few people who think he's a bit of a paedo...random? lol

Sorry if the bit right at the start seemed a little rushed, I wanted to just get into it straight away really :)

Hmmm. so thanks to
nicholas joseph;
rossakamfzb
Sunny writes. (formally SillySunny)
HeartShapedLocket
Naoko
For commenting! :)

This is most likely going to be the last one until after Christmas because i think i actually have things to do tomorrow and Christmas Eve. It doesn't happen often xD

SO MERRY CHRISTMAS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :DDDDDDDD

Oh and this is a secret. Wait, that means i can't tell you, doesn't it? Grrr. Okay i shall tell you the secret after it's happened, which is on Christmas xD It's nothing big or anything like that so don't get excited over it tee hee

Feedback on this one will really really mean a lot because I think I've put more effort into this one than i have been doing lately so ... yeah hehe

Was there anything else i wanted to say....Yes!
You know that poll thing that I've got going. Well, wow, I really didn't think the results would be what they are now. It's shocking xD Zan has 9 and Cole only has 2. TWO? There must be more be Cole lovers out there....right???????? xD

Oh and i was listening to this song the whole time i was writing/editing/getting distracted. It's nothing and everything by red. Amazing song :)

Ermmm....that's it? Oh and I'm in a good mood, not that I'm not usually but i feel strangely happy right now....