Status: Completed

Stealing Stars

WEll, I Never Liked That Girl

Dinner is good. My mom is a fantastic cook. But Leona, oh Good God; she can cook. Leona always brings food over on Fathers’ Day like a little thank you to my family for letting Blake and Conrad be a part of our family. But really, most of the time I think I should be thanking her. As an only child it gets lonely.

“Chan. Blake. Did you two have a good time at that party?” Leona asks as she takes a bite of her salad.

My mouth, thankfully, was full of food therefore I couldn’t respond right away leaving time for me to think of an acceptable answer. But Blake beat me too it.

“Yeah, mom. Chan and I had a pretty good time.” He takes a forkful of chicken and smiles at me as he chews. Almost like he is mocking my failing memory and thanking that I don’t and can’t remember, but his smile is honest. He is happy.

I really wish I knew what I did now.

“Leona, it was pretty good. But Isabel and I don’t get along anymore. I probably won’t be going to her house for anything, ever again.” I say while looking from Leona to my mother. Blake chokes on his food, surprised at my straightforwardness.

“Well, I never liked that girl.” My mother says before she takes a sip of her wine.

Blake catches my eye from across the table. He smiles and winks at me. I smile back because he is acting like a seven year old and I want to join him.

After dinner my dad begins to open his gifts. First, he opens the gift from my mother which happens to be a new digital camera. Which I know that she wanted because my father will never use it. But he thanks her anyway.

Next, he opens a gift from Leona. Whatever it is it makes him smile. He does not show me or Blake. My mother sees it and makes a face that I can’t understand. Blake and I don’t press to see it. Some things, we’ve learned over the years, are best kept a secret.

Next, my dad opens the gift that I bought. I nudge Blake to make sure that he knows that it is from him as well. But he shakes his head at me and flashes a little white envelope at me for an answer.

My dad unwraps the iPod stereo. He has this enormous smile on his face. “Thank you Chan. Thanks Blake.” He hugs us both and gives me a kiss on my forehead.

Blake stands up and walks over to my dad. “Dave, Chan is responsible for the stereo. This is from me.” Blake hands my dad the white envelope and sits down next to me on the carpet.

Dad rips open the envelope. He pulls out a blue card and opens it to read it. Whatever Blake has written inside has a strong impact on my father. His eyes start to water and I don’t remember when I last saw my father cry, let alone tear up. “Thank you, Blake.” He looks at Blake and puts the card down on the table to his left and walks over to Blake. He takes Blake’s Hand and pulls him to his feet. Then he hugs him so tight that I don’t know if he’ll ever let go.

Blake’s face is red as he squeezes my father back. He does not look intent on ever letting go either. I’m wondering what is written on that card. But I know that it isn’t any of my business. So I sit and wait for the hug fest to subside.
♠ ♠ ♠
Sorry! It has been an entire year since I updated! I just have been so busy and I was not inspired to write at all!