Status: Completed

Stealing Stars

If Walls Could Speak

“Chandler, you can’t be serious.” But I’m always serious and that’s my problem and when Lola’s serious she uses my first name.

“You have to be kidding me. You feel nothing for him at all?” Lola flicks her straight blonde hair over her shoulder while she simultaneously pulls down her uniform skirt so she doesn’t get detention from Sister Clara.

“Nothing. Nada. Zilch. Zip. What else can I say, Lo?” We are standing at the end of the junior hallway, like we do everyday at three o’clock before we get picked up or drive home.

“I mean he’s Blake “hottest guy in the junior class” Gunner for God’s sake!” She yells as the hallway of my catholic girls’ school all begin to talk about Blake Gunner.

“Miss Tavarri, please don’t use the Lord’s name in vain.” Sister Abigail tells Lola as she passes us. I laugh.

Lola and I have been having this discussion since freshman year when we met in Spanish class, the year Blake ceased looking like a rug rat. I live next door to Blake. I should love him. I don’t. Lola does; along with half of the Marsh School for Girls’ population.

“Yeah Miss Tavarii, if you love him so much ask him out.” Our friend Katia exclaims theatrically as she comes up behind me.

“If only it were that simple.” Lola sighs.

Katia and I just look at each other. Lola is gorgeous; there is no way around it. She has that straight blonde hair that movie stars pay thousands for, hazel green eyes, and legs that go on for miles. She could have Blake if she really wanted him. But she doesn’t want him bad enough.

We all walk to the edge of the curb outside of school and sit down. Today is Friday. Friday means that Blake picks me up from school like he does every Friday. We both came to the conclusion (one of the only times) that since teenagers are apparently unreliable our mothers made us ride home together to be certain we got home on time and safe.

On time as usual, Blake pulls into the parking lot. His dark blue Jeep Wrangler pulls around the curve of the side walk and stops directly in front of me. He hops out of the Jeep, although he doesn’t really hop considering his height, and starts walking towards us.

“Hey, Blake.” Lola chimes as she seams to care less.

“Hey, Lola. Hi Katia.” He says to both of them as he pushes his fingers through his dark brown hair. Then he looks at me. No word exchange. No wave. No nothing except for his eyes. So I look back. His blue eyes to mine.

Then almost as quick as it occurred it is over. He walks over onto the sidewalk, turns around and yells a “Be right back”, to no one in particular. So it is meant for me.

I’m not one to hide anything. I’m ashamed and I admit it, we watch Blake chat up the other girls wearing our identical clothing and doing hair flips. It’s sort of difficult not to when you attend an all girls school and a male your age walks into in. He is trespassing on our land, into our world.

“You don’t like him.” I tell Lola. She shakes her head as if she knows something I don’t.

“Not as much as some people. But he is a great conversation topic.” She smiles at me with her glistening teeth; a smile that says she has something she wants me to know. I smile back because she’s Lola and she’s my best friend.
♠ ♠ ♠
I feel like the pre-after Alaska Young! Thank you to my one comment-er : )