Status: Completed

Stealing Stars

Under the Covers

“Blake, why can’t we be this way in public?” I ask even though I know the answer. It’s because I like it this way and so does he. We have a secret that no one will ever know and we can be each other’s comfort zones and to some extent that is what everyone wants: someone to hold all of their secrets without a price. “Never mind. I like it this way too.”

That’s how we spend our Friday night. Blake and I lying on his bed listening to his IPod that plays some indie rock quietly, while we stare up at the ceiling covered in glow-in-the-dark stars.

We must’ve fallen asleep because I’m gently being shaken awake by Leona. Blake is rolled onto his left side and I’m rolled onto my right. If it were anyone but the two of us she’d think that we’d done something.

“Chandler, you need to go home sweetheart.”

“Mhmm. Okay, Leona.” I say to her but I don’t move. The bed feels too wonderful. “Leona?”

“Yes?” She says back to me. I can see the smile on her face through my shut eyelids.

“Can I…can I just spend the night here?” My voice is quiet and pleading and even through my sleepy haze I know that Blake won’t mind if I spend the night next to him.

“Sure. I’ll call your mother.” Her voice is like warm honey and it sounds like it is miles away.

“Thank you.” But I don’t think my words reach her before I’m asleep.

I wake up underneath the covers although I know that I fell asleep on top of them. But Blake is still on top of the covers facing me with his eyes shut. I try to wriggle free of the tight blanket fortress without waking him. I slide my right leg out beneath the covers along with my right arm. The cold air is almost shocking as it hits my warm body but I keep moving. I slide the rest of my body out from beneath the covers and wind up on the floor but then I quickly get up and out of his room. I walk quietly down the stairs and into the kitchen to see Leona drinking tea and reading the morning paper.

“Morning Chan.” She smiles up at me with those blue eyes that Blake has inherited from her.

“Morning Leona. Thank you for letting me spend the night.” I say as I walk towards the back door to head home.

“Anytime Chandler, you are always welcome.”

Once inside my house I walk up to my bed room and climb into my bed after telling my parents that I was home. I fell asleep within minutes.
♠ ♠ ♠
I feel like Linsey Lee Wells from John Green's An Abundance of Katherines. I will update sooner now. I had finals last week. I'm now an eighth grade graduate : ) Thanks for reading!