Status: Contest/ Complete

You're All I Have

Five.

“It's okay mom.” I told her as she cried. “We can always get another apartment. I'll get a job. Then we'll never be evicted again. We can always buy more clothes and furniture. The storage manager was the wrong one. He didn't have to take our stuff. We only needed a month extension. I told him we'd pay. He was just mean.” I smiled at her. She kept crying. “The motel isn't that bad. Here is what we can do. We'll buy some roach bombs and bomb the room, then there won't be any bugs. We can just start over again.” I said. She looked up and tried to smile through her tears. I tried my hardest to hold mine back as well. It was okay we still had each other, that was all that mattered. “Don't worry mom, it will all work out.” I tried to convince her and I tried to convince myself.

That was just how it was. I picked her up when she broke. She picked me up when I broke. Losing storage and being evicted happened a lot. Eventually we had to many evictions and no place other than a motel would let us move in. If we racked up a debt at one motel, we'd move to another. If no motel in town would take us, we'd move to another town. Occasionally we had to stay at a homeless shelter. I was okay with it though, because I was still with my mom. We had started over so many times, material possessions didn't mean that much anymore. But it was still nice to have something to call our own.