Surprise Party

Chapter 1/1

Patrick Kaleta walked out of HSBC Arena feeling fully satisfied after that afternoon’s practice. He grinned as he got into his car and started off toward Ryan Miller’s place, waiting for the other guys to show up. He stopped at Starbucks along the way and picked up some drinks from a list he’d compiled in the locker room. Tim Kennedy was going to Tops to get a birthday cake, Thomas Vanek was getting balloons and streamers from Party City and Derek Roy was getting a card and some wrapping paper from a dollar store.

Once he had the drinks, he headed to Ryan’s house, where he started setting things up. It was the job of Lindy Ruff to keep Ryan busy until he got the call to bring him home. Derek joined him soon afterward, setting up tables and wrapping gifts. Thomas started blowing up balloons with helium and throwing streamers onto the walls. A thought occurred to Patrick.

“We need confetti,” He said. Derek grinned.

“Make Tim get it. He’s already at Tops,” He suggested. Patrick grinned and nodded, heading off to call Tim. He picked up on the first ring.

“What do you need, Patty?” Tim asked.

“Confetti,” Pat responded.

“Got it.” Tim hung up and the others went around finishing up decorating. They had a homemade banner all set up, waiting for the confetti from Tim. Tim arrived 10 minutes later.

“Sorry, I had a hard time finding it,” He said, handing the confetti to Pat. Pat got on a chair and was about to open the package when Tyler Myers showed up.

“Tyler, can you put the confetti in the banner for us?” Pat asked. Tyler nodded, and Pat and Jochen Hecht, who had showed up shortly after Tyler did. They put the banner up, tied it down and waited for everyone else to get there. Once everyone was there, he shushed the guys all down and called Lindy.

“Patrick, what’s up?”

“Everything’s all ready, coach. You can bring him home now.”

“All right, I’ll be right there.”

After Lindy hung up, everyone waited anxiously as they waited to hear Lindy’s car pull in the driveway. When they heard it, Patrick and Thomas got ready by the banner. Ryan unlocked the door and walked inside.

“Surprise!” Everyone shouted, and they unfurled the banner, letting confetti fly everywhere. Ryan stood in the doorway, stunned, as Tyler grabbed his arm and dragged him into the house.

“I seriously thought that Lindy was mad at me,” He said numbly. Lindy smiled, shaking his head.

“Nope, we just wanted this to be a surprise!” Tyler said, grinning. “It was all Kaleta’s idea if you want someone to blame.” Pat feigned a hurt look. They served the cake and stayed up well into the night enjoying the party. When all was said and done, Patrick and Ryan were the only ones left in Ryan’s house.

“That was great, Pat. Thanks for the party,” Ryan said.

“It was no problem, really,” Patrick said, smiling. Ryan smiled back and handed him a broom.

“You threw the party, you get to clean up,” He said cheerfully, heading to his bedroom and leaving a grumbling Patrick Kaleta alone to clean up the confetti from the living room floor.