Status: Story Completed. =)

Finding Her Time

Chapter 7

Claire found that she enjoyed the company of all three sisters. It had been a week since she arrived in Kent. The three welcomed her into their homes and lives with amiable grace. Even from the first morning, there was no awkwardness between them.

The sisters approved of her as well. Helen thought that this Miss Claire Silver was exotic in her tastes and speech. She told stories well enough, but even some of them seemed a bit wild.

Miss Eliza enjoyed Miss Claire’s stories very much and often could be seen spying on Claire and her brother when they were alone. She told as much to her sister.

“It may very well be that brother has taken a liking to Miss Silver,” she prompted gleefully for Helen.

Helen looked up at her from over her novel. Her eyes showed disapproval, “Please Eliza, give it a rest. We’ve known Miss Silver for all of one week. At least give it a fortnight before you make up absurd wedding plans for them.”

“But do you think they will be married?” asked Sophia suddenly appearing in the room, “I do hope so. Miss Silver is far more interesting than either of you.”

Helen shook her head and closed her novel, “Listen to me, both of you. You are not to tell anyone of your ridiculous fantasies. Is that understood? Leave Brother James and Miss Silver out of your gossip. I will not have either of you ruining the chance that he is taken with her.”

Eliza glowed, “Oh! But you think he does too! This is grand. James has found a lady whom he likes. It’s wonderful; I only wish we knew how long it will take them to make it final.”

“Eliza,” Helen warned.
**************************************************************************************************
In another room of the house, James Marshall sat reading his journal. Charles Dickens was wrapping up yet another great piece of work in his literacy journal All Year Round.
This story happened to be called Tale of Two Cities. A new installment made its way into the journal since April, and James was determined not to miss a single one.

He was finishing the chapter when Claire walked into the study. He looked up to welcome her in the room. When he had found out about her joy of novels, he had given her leave to read any of which she chooses. She set down Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen.

“This story happens to be quite a favorite of mine;” she smiled happily, “My copy of it is quite worn out from over reading.”

“You, my friend, like the romance of those novels,” Mr. Marshall smiled, “and I don’t blame you. Not often enough are such values still remembered in society today.”

“That’s a pity,” Claire sat down in the seat opposite from Mr. Marshall, “And what are you reading?”

“This brilliant story by Charles Dickens; he publishes a new chapter every edition of his journal,” James answered, “This recent story is called Tale of Two Cities.”

“Oh, I love that one,” Claire burst out, “It’s a classic. The last chapter summed up the story very well.”

“The ending?” James asked skeptically, “How could you possibly know the ending? It says here that the last installment will be in the next issue.”

Claire’s eyes widened. She bit her lip. “Did I say I know the ending?”

“Yes, I think you did,” Mr. Marshall put the journal down on the small table beside him, “Would you care to explain?”

“Would you believe me if I told you I come from the future?” Claire smiled sheepishly.

“No,” Mr. Marshall grinned, “not with other ladies, but with you I deem it to be very possible.”

Claire looked down at the seams of her dress and blushed. She tried very hard not to let Mr. Marshall and his sisters know about the future, but often she would find herself humming a song from that time or telling a story yet to be invented. It was rather comical her friends in the future used to mock her for being an old soul whereas here her new friend made fun of her for being ahead of her time.

Mr. Marshall cleared his throat, “And pray tell, what does the future behold for us?”

Wanting to answer him cleverly while making it easier to comprehend, Claire spoke slowly carefully wording each piece together, “In the future, there are city buildings that can reach the sky_ we call them skyscrapers. From the top of them, the people below look like ants. There are coaches that don’t require horses to pull them, and people can fly in big metal machines. Some have even gone out and met the moon.”

James smiled during her whole speech about the future. He laughed when it came to a close. Miss Silver squirmed in her seat, thinking that he was laughing at her expense. He leaned forward and looked into her eyes, “You possess a truly creative and unique mind. Have you considered writing such stories down? I can sense that you have a way with the pen.”

Claire stared into Mr. Marshall’s eyes and blushed again. “You think I’d make a good author?”

“Of course,” he leaned back in his chair, “My sisters adore your stories. You’ve got quite a way with words. Start writing those words down, and if you want, I can be your critique.”

Claire smiled and stood up, “Well, if I am to write for you, I should get started.” She curtsied and ran out of the room leaving James to pick up his journal and finish his reading.

He smiled to himself and thought, I’m lucky to meet such an exotic creature such as Miss Silver.
♠ ♠ ♠
Dear Readers (of which at this point, there aren't many):
Just to clarify, this story is supposed to be a novella/short story. There are only a few chapters and the action goes quickly. It was a class assignment for the most part and that's how I wrote it in the beginning. I'm making small changes, but it all kind of adds up. Now you're clued in, I'm going to proceed.
Please Rate and Comment. I loooveee feedback.
Sincerely: Andie.x.Stone