The Dark Side of the Moon

What is There to be Scared of?

(Ana’s Point of View)

I walked slowly to my next class, chatting animatedly with a boy who had been in AP chemistry with me. I remembered him saying his name was Jordan. Perhaps I was chatting too animatedly though, because as we were approaching our next class he paused and looked at me, seeming to reconsider what he was about to say. “Um Anabelle…Ana…What are you doing Friday night?” I bit my check in a futile attempt to keep from smiling. “Actually Jordan, I am spending time with my father that night. The whole family bonding aspect is a relatively big deal to him.” “Oh,” was all he said. He was looking down and had picked up his pace significantly. I felt badly, but the decision to stay away from me would undoubtedly save his life.

I sat through my Trigonometry class not even pretending to take notes. Linda, the girl sitting next to me, gave me a puzzled look. “Don’t you want to write this down?” I shrugged. “Perhaps I should, but I understand it fine.” She looked surprised to hear that, and I could guess what question would come next. “Are you a senior? You look younger.” I shook my head, keeping my eyes on the board. “Junior?” she tried again, but she got the same response. Linda’s eyes widened before she whispered, “What’s a sophomore doing in a senior class?” I glanced at her, letting a smile form on my lips. “I have had this class before.” Her eyes remained curious, but it was obvious that I said all I was going to say on the matter.

It was true that I was a sophomore, if you did not take into consideration that I have been sixteen for the last 410 years. I had enrolled in all senior classes despite Reed’s pleas to remain inconspicuous. Any level lower and I do not think I would be able to stay awake. It was difficult enough to keep conscious in these classes.

I had AP French next. I frowned. The language classes here were incredibly limited. French was my third language, Italian my first. Of course I knew English, plus Latin, Spanish, Swedish, and German. I sat through the whole class though. I even took notes like a normal student. I was surprised that none of the Cullens were in any of my classes that day though. In fact, I had not even seen them for the remainder of the day. This seemed odd to me considering the small size of the school. Doubtless that was for the best though.

After the final bell rang, I met up with my brothers in the parking lot. They looked anxious, and I could not help but to roll my eyes dramatically when I saw them. “Do not worry. I managed to make it through the day.” I stated. Avis was the only one who smiled. We all exchanged a few comments about our classes before I promised to meet them at home. They had not seen the Cullens again either.

That night, my entire family, including Cyrus, gathered in the living room. It was time to address the Cullen situation. “I don’t like it.” Malcolm began, “It’s not safe for them or us if things go badly.” I grimaced at his comment. We all knew that if things went badly it was because of me. “I like it.” This time Avis was speaking up. “It’s been awhile since we’ve had any vampire companions, and I’m sure we can keep the situation under control.” Reed nodded in agreement. “He is right. I do not think they present any danger to us. Besides, leaving now, so abruptly, would look suspicious.” We all turned to Cyrus. His response would, without a doubt, be the wisest, and the one that truly counted. He was deep in thought. His forehead was creased in concentration, and his eyes were locked on his folded hands. Finally, he spoke. “What did you say this family’s name was?” “The Cullens,” replied Malcolm. Cyrus’s eyes grew bright and he smiled. “There is no need for alarm then. I know the father, Carlisle. He is a good man, and I am positive that the same goes for his children.” He turned to me, his eyes sympathetic and gentle. “Although, perhaps it would be wise for you to avoid initiating an immediate personal relationship.” I nodded sadly in agreement.

(Jasper’s Point of View)

I thought about her all night. Even with Alice three feet away I thought about her. It was ridiculous and immature, and I tried to distract myself with anything I could. I tried reading, listening to music, painting, and even translating texts into foreign languages. The fact that none of this worked made me angry, for there was no reason for me to continue contemplating Anabelle Giordano. I tried to tell myself I hated her for making me feel weak, but I couldn’t because I know I did not. Alice found my silence puzzling, and I tried to pretend like everything was alright for her sake, but I was beginning to feel like her sake was dropping lower on my priority list.

The next day at school it was hard to decide whether to avoid Anabelle or hunt her down. I did not want to fall subject to her scent, or confuse my relationship with Alice anymore then I already had, but I felt as though I needed to see her. It seemed like her eyes were haunting me and her sweet voice followed my every move. So I decided to do neither. I would go about my day as normally as possible, and if I did not see her, well, I suppose I would live, but if I did…I smiled at the thought, if I did it would absolutely make my day.

I had a class with Avis and Malcolm, and to my surprise they actually talked to me. There was no sign of their former aversion to me, and we chatted conventionally for quite a bit. Sadly, the girl made no appearance. That is until lunch. She sat with her brothers at the same table as yesterday, and they followed the same procedure, gathering a few random students to come and join them. Her siblings glanced over to us occasionally, still seeming to have forgotten their former coldness, and even smiling a few times, but she didn’t. Not once did she peer over in our direction, and I wondered why.

I had the opportunity to have my question answered the next period. She was sitting in the back right corner of my honors Trig class. I tried to hold my smile inside as I slid into the seat next to her. She did not look up. What had happened to the warm and welcoming creature who had introduced herself yesterday? “Hello Ana.” I said. She continued to look down at her book, but at least she responded. “Hello Jasper.” I was not about to give up that easily. “How are you today?” Ana finally looked up, but something was different. Her eyes were more guarded now, as if she had put up some sort of wall. “I am fairly well, all things considered.” All things considered? What did that mean? She did not ask about my own well being back. “All things considered?” I decided to ask. She bit her lip and her next statement seemed well thought out, as if she had deliberated on how she should answer. “Never mind, I do not know why I said that. I am fine.” How frustrating this girl could be! I refused to give up. I needed something more from her.

“Fine isn’t a feeling.” I retorted. She sighed, and I could have sworn I heard her whisper, “I suppose it is no use.” “Pardon me?” I asked, but she shook her head. “I apologize for my lack of conversation. Please forgive me as I have no excuse.” She spoke so eloquently, nothing like the sixteen year old girl she had informed people she was. I noticed that she never once used a conjugation, always speaking each full word. I stared at her, wanting to ask her a million questions but holding back for fear of her reaction.

“You can ask me you know.” I did not respond for a moment, for I had not expected her to say that. Could she read my mind? Something about my expression must have been humorous because she laughed. I snapped back to the conversation. “Ask you what?” I finally replied. “Anything.” Such a simple answer, yet it made deciding what to ask rather difficult. “What are you?” I knew that she would refuse to respond, but I had to inquire. It was the question I wanted answered most. I saw her jaw clench and her eyes looked away from mine for a moment. “Not that.” I sighed. Exactly what I expected, but I would not push it further. For now.

“How old are you?” was my next question. “Sixteen.” She answered back, but there was a smirk held on her face. I rolled my eyes. “When was the first time you celebrated your sixteenth birthday?” I guessed that this was the year she became… whatever she was. She frowned. “1600.” I must have gasped, or swallowed loudly, something to give away my surprise, because she turned towards me with an understanding smile and incredibly sad eyes. “What is Reed?” She laughed, loudly enough that even the humans could hear. “Weird.” I continued to stare at her, waiting for the real explanation. “He is a shape shifter.” She offered no more then that simple answer, but I was not taking it for granted. I felt very fortunate that she was even replying to my questions.

I decided to ask the next one as a trick, to see if she knew about me, and about my family. “What are Malcolm and Avis?” Another smirk came in response. “Twins.” I did not have to wait for her to continue. “You are very clever Jasper, but yes I know what you are, and what my brothers are. Vampires.” Her bluntness took me aback, and I did not realize I was asking my next question before it had already slipped out. “Aren’t you scared?” I expected a rational response, but instead I was met with a dark chuckle void of any trace of humor. “No, but you should be.” The bell rang and she was gone immediately. I had not smelled or been tempted by her blood once during the entire class, and this time I knew she was responsible for it.
♠ ♠ ♠
It was a bit short I must admit... but this chapter, and the next one are necessary to set up the plot. I do hope you liked it! If you did, or if you didn't cause I'd still like to know, comment!