I'm With You

I Am With You

The dark night hovers in the air of uncertiany. In the outskirts of the small town there was a boy. He had the body and air of a man, but nevertheless he was still a boy.

An owl hooted in the distance. The pale moonlight splashed upon his vampire white skin and on the trees. The trees whispered ever so lightly about the beautiful stranger on the train tracks. His shoulders slumped and his head down, as if he was counting the steps until oblivion. He barely moved his feet like a broken soldier.

"Matt! Stop!" Her cry sounded, shattering the night into a million pieces. He could hear her steps running towards him. Her feet were always on the tips of her toes like a ballerina. He could imagine her dirty blonde hair flying drastically behind her. He wanted to turn but he couldn't face her. Not after everything, and now this.

She grabbed him around his waist, like she has million times before but this time was different. It was a grasp not out of love and affection it was out of fear, despair, and loss.

"Matt, love. Please, you don't need to do this." Her hair was mangled and tangled, her fingers were cold from the starry night. She was as beautiful as always but this time she was haunting. The shadows from the moon fell upon her face reveling the bloodshot eyes, death staring at him.

"I am doing this for me. This wasn't meant to involve you Ashleigh."
She couldn't feel herself anymore. She slowly removed herself from him.

"For you?" She ticked her head to the side. "Is this a sick joke? You are trying to get yourself killed." Her blonde hair rolled over her face as a cold and gentle breeze past by.

He turned from her. "Maybe I am." He lifted his eyes to met hers twinkling with tears. He took his fingers and brushed her cheek. She grabbed them.

"No, you'll stay with me like we always have been." She closed her eyes holding his palm close to her cheek. Matt looked at her to intently, it made his eyes water.

Suddenly the night turned to day, he wasn't on a train track but on the beach. There Ashleigh was in her white dress with yellow bathing suit showing through. Her sun dyed hair was wavy from drying out from the salt water. With a daisy in her hair. He couldn't keep his eyes off her. She was Aphrodite rising from the sea. The sun glowing from behind her when she was next to him.

A sniffle returned him to the dark, cold night.

"Matt, you were never like this before. Look at you! Skin and bones, black hair, and eyeliner?"

"Ash, stop this is what I am now." He said turning back to the tracks.

"You are not this, this, monster! You were beautiful, and here you are claiming like you never knew who I loved." His golden eyes locked to hers. He grabbed her hands.

The wind blew slightly harder. Ashleigh let go of the streams of tears in her eyes.

"You and I are more than a couple, you know it. You felt it too." She was closing in closer to him. He wanted to kiss her too. But he couldn't. He was the monster. He was everything he wasn't and he couldn't bring himself back.

"Come back to me." She pressed her lips against his. But he couldn't kiss back. He couldn't love this beautiful creature when he was a lowly slug inching across the earth.

"Ashleigh, leave me." He gently took her hands off him. Ashleigh's face changed differently so quickly from surprised, to anger, then settles on pain.

"But, I love you, Matt." Her voice quivering. He shook his head.

"No, Ashleigh. You loved the person I was." He back up a few steps there was a distance set between them.

"I love you, Matt. People don't change, you wouldn't change. Not to me." A horn wailed in the distance.

"Yes, Ashleigh people do change. My time is coming." Matt hid his left wrist and turned walking to the dark. Ashleigh whimpered running up to him. He turned and pushed her down. She was sprawled over the tracks like a new born baby, disconnected, unmounted, unfeeling.

Clamp!


The train tracks had clamped around her ankle. Matt felt the panic rush to his arms through his feet. He ran to her. They were pulling her ankle together it was no use. The wailing was screeching closer. Her death lunged before her.

He pulled her close and kissed her warm lips.

"Oh Ashleigh, I love you. I always have. Forgive me. Oh, forgive me." The wailing was behind them. Ashley whispered back. "I have forgiven you, Good bye." She pushed him off the train tracks. The fall was long and cold as Matt feel crumbled on the cold, soft ground.

The train light was seen on her, illuminating her green eyes, ready for what lay beyond. Her screaming was drowned out by the flesh tearing and bone cracking sound from the train.

Blood rained down on Matt, as he grabbed his phone dialing 911. Her body fell sideways from the tracks her arms dangling over the side, and slowly fell down to the ground lying limp and askew in a pool of thick black blood.

"911, hello, what is your emergency?" A cool lady voice echoed through the phone.

"My girlfriend was hit by a train." His voice ached, his chest was ripping open.

"What is your location?" The cool voice asked.

"I-I- don't know..." Matt's voice trailed off into the distance.

"It's fine. We will track you."

Matt dropped the phone and took her body cradling it into his arms. The closest thing he could ever feel to her again.