Status: Short Story, Complete

All That Matters

Understand.

Joe loved his dad. He really did, but sometimes, like now, he hated him.

He couldn’t understand why he would do something like that. It didn’t make sense!

They were a happy family, always. His parents were in love and they raised four beautiful, amazing boys together.

But then, something happened. Something Joe couldn’t explain or understand, and his mom and dad got a divorce, dad kicking and screaming the whole way out. His mom didn’t even care; she just sent him away to live in some run-down, crappy motel across town, without a cent to his name.

He, and his brothers, bombarded her with questions, demanding answers. He remembered her sigh, look up at them, and say “He’s been cheating on me,” before leaving the room.

They were stunned into a silence that lasted the whole day. When Frankie awoke, he didn’t know what was happening – he asked everyone where daddy had gone, but no one had an answer for him.

Joe still loves his dad, and misses him terribly, but he can’t help but wonder – why? Why would he destroy their family? He wants to find out, but he can’t bear to ask his mother for permission to see him. It would kill her.

His mother was someone who could hold a grudge. It’s been two years, and their father’s name hasn’t left her mouth, not even once, since the day she kicked him out. She met a man a year after the split, and they’re still dating to this day. Joe thinks he’s going to propose to her, but he isn’t sure whether or not he’d like if she said yes.
He’s a nice guy and everything, but no one can really replace his dad, even if he made a horrible mistake.

Joe’s suspicions are proven right when his mother comes home one night, glowing with a bright smile on her face. “He proposed!” She exclaimed, nearly jumping with joy. Kevin is the first to congratulate her and tell her how excited he is.

Kevin can’t stand dad.

Nick goes up next, a small smile on his face and gives her a hug, but says nothing. Nick and dad were the closest of them all, and he took the divorce the hardest, hiding away in his room for weeks. It took him quite a while to actually speak to mom again.

Joe doesn’t know what to say. He kind of just stands there, blinking as Frankie babbles on about being the ring bearer. Frankie doesn’t completely understand anything, and Joe’s a little jealous of him.

The guy she married – his name is Josh – has a daughter. Her name is Hayley. She’s Joe’s age, has black hair and crystal blue eyes. The first time Joe meets his new step-sister, he can’t take his eyes off her. She seems to feel the same way he does about all this marriage crap. Her mother had passed away a few years ago is what Josh had said. He told them he’d thought he’d never fall in love again. Denise “proved him wrong.”

Joe doesn’t like Josh.
And he’s pretty sure Hayley doesn’t either.

It’s only a couple months into the marriage before things start to get odd. Joe and Hayley had become quick friends, bonding fast. But then Denise had some news for the family.

She was pregnant.

Already.

Joe was in disbelief, shocked, and didn’t a say a word. He walked upstairs, letting the family talk and smile amongst themselves. He hid away in his room, sitting on the edge of his bed, and stares into space.

The door opens, and Hayley enters, closing it and sitting beside him. They don’t say anything.

They don’t have to.

“I miss my mom.” Hayley says one night, crying into Joe’s chest. Joe nods, smoothing down her hair as he tries to calm her.

“I miss my dad.”

“Your dad isn’t dead,” she cries, “You can visit him.”

“No,” Joe shakes his head, “I can’t.” She stays silent as she wipes away her tears. She looks at him for a moment, something sparkling in her eyes as they dart down to his lips for a millisecond. Joe saw the motion and felt himself smile. He leans in, slowly, and she squeaks, backing away, up the bed before hitting the headboard. He smirks, laughing, and followers her, crawling between her legs, hands against the frame as he dips down and presses their mouths together.

The feeling is new and different and Joe doesn’t understand. He kisses her, secretly, for the next few nights, but nothing ever came out of it. They didn’t proclaim love to one another, didn’t fall asleep in each other’s arms. They just kissed, and that was that.

A couple more months come and go and his mother is due to have the baby any day now. The entire house hold is anxious, just waiting for the day to come. Joe and Hayley have more time to themselves, and no one even seems to notice them not being there when Denise’s water breaks.

Joe’s hands wander to every inch of Hayley’s body and he just can’t stop, not now. She doesn’t try to stop him, either, so he thinks its okay. He kisses her all over, smiling at the noises escaping her mouth. She’s begging. She wants this – wants him.

They’re making love when the baby is born.

They weren’t there to see the newborn, and this angers just about everyone. Josh throws a fit, yelling at Hayley like there’s no tomorrow. Kevin is furious, acting the same way. Nick just sits there, quiet, because he understands. Frankie doesn’t know what to say, but you can tell by the look on his face he wants a part in the screaming fiasco.

Denise is still at the hospital, and Joe wonders what she would say to him.

They’re all asking why they weren’t there – what on Earth could be more important? Neither answer, glancing at each other silently. A look of shock spreads across Kevin’s face. He knows. Nick’s expression changes soon after. He knows. Frankie doesn’t even try to comprehend what it means. Josh stares at Hayley, the look in his eyes scaring even Joe.
The smack echoes through the house, Hayley’s face turning from the impacts. That was enough to push Joe over the edge.

He lunges, knocking his step-father to the floor. He throws punch after punch, not stopping to breathe, just keeps hitting. Josh doesn’t even try to defend himself. Joe’s crying, now, and gasps for breath, his body shaking. Kevin pulls him away, off the ground. Joe goes upstairs, grabbing what he can and stuffing it into a suitcase. He’s still crying; he can’t believe what he’s done and he can’t take staying here anymore.

He turns and Hayley is standing in the doorway, a suitcase of her own in her hand, her cheek bruised.

They leave, not looking back.

No one tries to stop them.

They stay in a hotel for months. Hayley had taken her father’s credit card, and God knows why it hadn’t been cancelled yet. They’re doing fine on their own. They’re happy together. They smile and laugh and no one is there to ruin it. Reality doesn’t matter. They’re in their own little world.

Joe lost count of the times they made love the second day they were here. She needs him. He needs her. They love each other, more than anything in the world.

Hayley exits the bathroom one night, fear in her eyes and tears falling. Joe holds her, unsure of what’s wrong until she speaks, “I’m pregnant.”

The happy world came crashing down – if only for a moment. Joe can’t help but to think about what would happen. How would they support a baby? Who would hire someone like him? Could they make it?

That last question was like a slap in the face. He lifts her off the ground, twirling in circles and smiles at her confusion. He kisses her face, hands on her stomach and she starts crying all over again, this time, out of happiness.

The happy world is better than ever now. The pregnancy had done nothing but bring them closer. Nick visits a couple times and jokingly mentions that they need their own place. He never expected them to take him seriously.
They’re looking for a small apartment, but it’s hard finding one in their budget. They didn’t have much; only a credit card. They didn’t know how long that would last.

Joe’s sitting at the table, months later, his glasses on as he scans the newspaper. Hayley walks by, her stomach swollen and Joe can only stare. That’s his baby, living and breathing inside the woman he loves. She’s happy, that bright smile on her face like it always is. Joe feels a sense of pain. She’s beautiful, amazing, and deserves a better life. He stands, kisses her, tells her not to worry, that he’ll be back, maybe not soon, but he will be. She worries anyway, immediately asking where the hell he’s going, but he just smiles and shakes his head.

“It’s a surprise.” He murmurs, kissing her once more.

“I hate surprises. Especially yours.” She frowns.

“You’ll love this one.” He whispers, “Trust me.”

It took a couple days, but Joe finally finds himself on the right doorstep. He knocks, waiting patiently. A little girl answers. He blinks, staring down at her. She seems to be, at least, seven years old. He doesn’t get the chance to speak, a woman’s voice yelling “Katie!” before a blond haired, tan, lady stepped into view. She flashes him a smile and shoos the small girl away.

“Can I help you?” She asks kindly.

“I, uhm,” he stutters, “My name’s Joe. Joe Jonas.”

“Oh!” She exclaims. “I knew you looked familiar!” She beams. “Come in, come in.” He follows her to a cozy living room, the little girl from earlier, Katie, watching from the stairs. “Hold on a second, honey,” she smiles, walking farther into the house as he sits down. He makes faces at Katie for a moment, making her giggle until a voice interrupts them.

“Joseph?” He turns, looking up at the familiar man. He stands in greeting, smiling.

“Hi, dad.”

“Where have you been?” Hayley shrieks, throwing her arms around him. He smiles, breathing in her scent as he returns the embrace.

“I got us an apartment.” He says. She pulls back, looking up at him with wide eyes.

“How?”

“My dad,” he said, “I visited him. He offered…” He trailed off, biting his lip. “I’m gonna pay him back. After I get a job.” Hayley’s silent, staring at him.

“An apartment.” She breathes.

“Yeah. Two rooms.” She smiles, tears in her eyes, and kisses him.

Joseph picks their first night in the apartment as the right time, and gets down on one knee, grinning as she gasps, taking her hands from her belly to cover her mouth. He doesn’t have a ring yet, and she understands and says yes regardless. They kiss. They’re in love. They’re happy.

The baby is born before the wedding. As she rests, he holds him – Trevor Adam Jonas. He’s beautiful, and Joe’s close to crying when someone clears their throat. He looks up, gasping.

“Mom?”

“Joe.” She smiles, stepping in. A head peaked inside the room.

“Joe!” Frankie exclaimed, running in and stopping to stare at the baby in awe. Kevin and Nick come in next, smiling at the sight before them. They say whispered greetings. Joe notices his mom’s eyes on Hayley and doesn’t know whether or not it’s a good or a bad thing.

“C-Can I come in?” Another voice says, catching his attention. Joe scowls, glaring. A soft voice sounded off then.

“Dad?” Hayley squints her tired eyes. “What are you…Why?”

“I miss you, Hay.” He says, “I miss my baby girl.”

“You hit me.” She says, voice cracking.

“I’m sorry. I’m so sorry.” Josh drops beside the bed, clutching his daughter’s hand. “Please, please forgive me. I love you, Hayley.”

“I love her,” Joe says suddenly, “And you don’t see me hitting her.”

“Joseph...” his mother hisses, sending him a harsh look.

“I’m sorry,” he says, desperate, “Y-You have to understand,” he said, using Joe’s least favorite word, “I didn’t know what to do, what to think. You went from my little girl to a grown woman right before my eyes.”

“I’m not your little girl, dad.” She said coldly. “I stopped being a little girl when mom died.”

The wedding is beautiful.

Their families all show up, even Joe’s dad with his new life. Hayley and her father dance and smile and everything’s finally going great. Joe holds Trevor in his arms for most of the night. His mom had even walked down the aisle with him, holding the rings.

Katie was the flower girl, Nick and Kevin the best men. Hayley’s friends from her old town had even shown as the bridesmaids.

And Joe finally understands. Nothing mattered but happiness.
They’re happy. They’re in love. They have a perfect life.

Joe wouldn’t a change a thing about it.
♠ ♠ ♠
Uhm.

Not sure what to think about this, haha.

It just sort of...happened. I started writing and...tada?

Comments are appreciated! :)