Status: Complete!

Nothing in This World Can Compare to You

Advice.

At the end of that week, Josh arrived in San Marino, ready to see his brother and to take Oscar back to Montreal. I didn’t see much of Josh because, to be honest, he’s never liked me. He always has this kind of…disdain on his face. I know he’ll always take Nate’s side, even though Nate deserves no-one.Lies, all lies, I know I love him!

“So have you even checked on Nate?”

I paused in the doorway of Dylan and Geoff’s kitchen upon hearing those words come from Josh’s mouth.

“Fuck no, why should I? He’s the one that bitched me out,” Geoff scoffed, rolling his eyes.

“What did he even say to you?” Josh sneered.

“He fucking growled Oh so you’re on his side too? Some friend you are,” Geoff spat.

Josh laughed.Ouch. What?

“Is that seriously fucking it? After all the shit he went through for you, you’ve ditched his ass because he bitched at you when he was drunk?”

“It’s not just because of me – he was being a real dick to Ash too,” Geoff defended.

“Ash? Who gives a fuck about Ash?! This is Nate – your best friend since you were fucking 6 years old – that counts way fucking more! And you’ve bitched at him WHEN DRUNK over way worse things, and he just shrugs it off. Are you really going to let an effeminate American kid get in the way of the bond that you and Nate had? Because I sure as hell am not. Get over yourself, bro,” Josh scowled.

And with that, Josh left the kitchen. He brushed past me in the doorway, not even saying anything and stormed out of the apartment. Geoff snapped his eyes up to look at me, guilt flooding his expression. Then Dylan joined us.

“Did Josh just leave?” Dylan frowned.

“Uh, yeah. I’d better go after him,” Geoff mumbled.

So Geoff left too. Dylan turned to me, confused even more.

“What did I miss?”

*

[Geoff Lawson]

I stood nervously behind my brother as he pounded on the door of Nate’s apartment. No answer. All we could hear was loud heavy metal music pounding, but no Nate. I swallowed heavily as my mind rolled over possibilities of what could be happening – what if he’s harmed himself?!

“Fuck this shit,” Josh growled.

I scowled as my brother pushed me to the side, but my eyes went wide as he slammed his foot into the door handle, breaking the lock and allowing the door to swing open. We were instantly hit by the smell of pot. Oh my fucking GOD – Nate’s gone back to drugs!!!! Josh growled and ripped the power cord to Nate’s stereo out the wall, his eyes scanning for our relapsing friend.

“I was listening to that,” came a heavy drawl.

Oh Nate, what’s happened to you? Josh ran over to the sofa and picked Nate up by his collar.

“Drugs? You’re back on fucking drugs?!” Josh yelled.

Nate just tilted his head back and started laughing. Tears pricked my eyes as Josh threw him to the floor and stormed out of the apartment. I-I can’t believe he’s turned back to drugs…back to the person he was when we were 13 to 16. Back to the monsters were all were.

“You’ve been clean for 7 years, Nate…why?” I whispered.

Nate stopped laughing and snapped his eyes up to look at me. I gulped. He sat upright and took another drag of his blunt, exhaling slowly.

You have no right to say a damned thing to me – you fucking ditched me after all the shit I’ve put up with for years for you! You were meant to be my best friend!” Nate shrieked.

Fuck, he’s coming down from his high already. He always used to get so aggressive after, and it’ll be even worse now that I’m sober and he’s not.

“Nate, calm down, please,” I begged.

“Don’t you fucking tell me to calm down,” Nate sneered, stumbling to his feet.

“What happened to you, man?” I whimpered.

“You want to know what happened to me? Fine, I’ll fucking tell you. I have no-one to talk to ever since you blocked me out. I don’t even have that damn dog! Ash has turned everyone against me, and he knows damn well that he did it. I even quit my job because I don’t have inspiration to play anymore. Kids don’t want songs about downward spirals of self-destruction,” Nate said with a bitter laugh.

“Why drugs though? You know how much shit we went through for drugs,” I persisted. Anything to keep him off a violent track.

“I have nothing else to do with my life. No friends. No job. Not a single scrap of companionship. I am all fucking alone because of Ashley fucking Barton!” Nate shouted, tears building in his eyes.

I breathed a sigh of relief as Josh walked back in, a deep scowl on his face.

“I want you to tell me what happened that night. Now,” Josh demanded.

Nate looked amused until Josh punched him in the stomach.

“Don’t fucking hurt him,” I growled.

“So now you care?” Josh retorted.

I fell silent, unable to give a retort. As much as I hate to admit it, Josh has a point. Nate took another drag of his blunt as he settled himself down on a sofa, leaving me to look around. Lines of coke. Bags of weed. A pile of E pills. God damn, he’s spiraling downward alright! Fuck!

“What happened?” Josh repeated, leaning on his thighs with his forearms.

“I was pretty drunk, as I’m sure you’ve heard. But I know what I saw. As soon as I left the bathroom, I saw that Italian shit touchy feely with A-Ash again. As soon as I walked over there they kissed. Ash was not pushing him away, whether that be from personal choice or restraint I don’t know. But he’s got legs, he could’ve kicked the bastard. Instead I punched that scumbag and stormed out. I knew Ash was following me. All I could think of was how that was the second time I’ve seen Ash and Ricardo upclose and personal. All I could feel was rage and humiliation. I know I cheated on Ash when we were 18, but Ash had a thing with his ex before that and now Ricardo. I’ll admit that I was blinded with rage, but I don’t take back what I said. I couldn’t love him after seeing him with the Italian guy for the SECOND time. If he didn’t want Ricardo around, he would’ve got his mom to fire the asshole straight away the FIRST time. But he didn’t, and I was the one that got all the blame for every-fucking-thing,” Nate muttered.

I sat in silence as Josh processed his words. There’s nothing I can really say to redeem myself. Although I know Ash is innocent of kissing Ricardo, there’s also Nate’s point of view to consider. Who wouldn’t jump to conclusions after seeing what Nate did? Who wouldn’t be controlled by their anger, especially someone as normally-angry as Nate is?

“Every memory, every contact, every experience I had in America is with or because of Ash – now I have nothing while he has his high life,” Nate added.

“Do you know what my advice is?” Josh eventually said.

“What?” Nate grumbled, taking a final drag of his blunt.

“Move the fuck on. Find someone new to spend time with. To make memories with. Because you sure as hell don’t need that whiny momma’s boy to rule your life. You’re Nate fucking Stone – you’re a much stronger person than he is, and you sure as hell know it!” Josh said firmly.

Move on? Fuck, that would NOT go down well at Camp Ash. Fuck.

“That’s not a bad idea,” Nate reluctantly said.

“Of course it isn’t, I thought of it. There’s one more thing you’re going to do,” Josh smirked.

“What?” Nate asked, rolling his eyes.

“You’re quitting drugs and going into therapy. I made a call to a friend of mine, and they're willing to take you on,” Josh said simply.

Nate scowled and rose to his feet…but so did Josh. And seeing that Josh is sober and stronger, he punched Nate unconscious easily. Catching Nate before he landed on the ground, my brother turned to me.

“Open the windows to get rid of the haze and flush the rest of his shit,” Josh ordered.

“I don’t think your advice was a good idea,” I protested.

“Shut the fuck up and do as I say. I’m going to help Nate and if you’re not with me then don’t bother coming back,” Josh spat.

I chewed my bottom lip as Josh carried Nate down the hallway, before sighing. This was going to stir up shit big time.
♠ ♠ ♠
Is it wrong to love Josh?
This IS going to stir up shit big time...but it's aso going to provide the big dramatic part that I've planned for chapter 22.
Remember...chapter 22, okay?

To be honest, I wasn't happy with how this chapter turned out.
Comments?
xo