Status: Complete!

Nothing in This World Can Compare to You

Drunk

Another week passes into October, and tonight Nate and I are out at a bar. What’s different about tonight? Well, we’re with Sam, Misty, my mom and Damon. Misty’s mom is looking after Lily, so that’s alright. But it’s weird going out drinking with my mom. I’ll tell you that. I think she just wants us to get to know Damon better. So here we are, on the top floor of one of the most exclusive bars in San Marino, and my mom is absolutely smashed. I had no idea that she couldn’t hold her alcohol, but tonight proves it! Nate and I are quietly drinking our beers in the corner of the booth while mom rambles away to Misty and Sam. Hah.

“And, y’know, I think you should have more kids. I want more grandchildren because I’m not going to get any from Ashley and I just want more. So get pregnant,” my mom slurred, clutching onto Damon’s arm.

Luckily, everyone’s amused by her actions, rather than offended.

“Is she always like this?” Nate whispered in my ear.

“Never seen her drunk before,” I giggled.

“I dread to think what she’ll say when she moves onto us,” Nate chuckled softly.

I just giggled again and rested my hand on his thigh, squeezing gently.

“Make sure you tell me when you’ve got a bun in the oven too, Misty, because I want to buy loads and loads and loads and loads of stuff for the newborn,” my mom added, “Isn’t that right, Damon?”

“If that’s what you want,” Damon laughed, pressing a kiss to the top of mom’s head.

“It is, it is,” my mom insisted, smiling widely.

Then she looked over at Nate and I. Oh joy.

“And I have just one thing to say to you two,” my mom said.

“Uh, okay?” I said hesitantly.

“When are you getting married?” my mom asked loudly.

I swallowed heavily, panic starting to flow through my body. This topic was exactly what started Nate and I’s problems when we broke up, and it’s still a taboo topic.

“We haven’t talked about the subject, Dawn. We’ve only just got back together,” Nate said stiffly.

“Nonsense, you were together for 5 years before all that shit happened, so I know you must’ve been thinking about it! Marriage is the only thing that solidifies a relationship and if you two aren’t planning on getting married then where is your relationship going?” my mom drawled.

I froze as tears pricked at my eyes. The subject of marriage still stings me, especially when she mentions the exact same things that were going through my head. Before my mom could do any more damage, her hand flew to her mouth and she ran to the bathroom. Great.

“I’ll go check she’s alright,” Misty sighed.

“I’m getting another drink,” Damon said awkwardly.

I looked at Nate, not liking the cold-hard expression on his face.

“Can we leave? Please?” I whispered.

“Yeah,” was all Nate said.

“I’ll cover for you,” Sam said with a weak smile.

I nodded my thanks and grabbed my coat as Nate and I left the booth. The cab ride home was silent, the elevator ride to our apartment was silent and the walk into the bedroom was silent. I hate this!

“Nate, please say something,” I whimpered, kicking off my shoes.

“I think your mom said it all,” Nate grunted, unbuttoning his shirt.

“She was drunk, she didn’t mean it,” I insisted.

“No, she meant it. You know she did,” Nate retorted sharply.

Tears stung at my eyes again as we both stripped down to our boxers. Nate noticed this and sighed.

“I’m going to get a glass of water. Do you want one?” he asked softly.

I just shook my head and sniffed. Nate frowned but pressed a kiss to my forehead and left the room. I crawled into our bed and pulled the covers up to my neck. Why do things like this always happen to me? Why can’t we just talk about this? I just pray that things don’t end up the way they did last time. I wouldn’t be able to handle that again. By the time Nate came back, I was already asleep.
♠ ♠ ♠
Not a long one, but I don't think it needs to be.
Nate's right, I think Dawn did say it all!
Hopefully they'll sort this issue out before it gets too bad, right?

Comments?
xo