Status: Finished

Reconciliation

Camericky

Nick sat in the car, watching as the swathes of reporters engulfed his car. He just wanted to sit there with his head in his hands for a few minutes but the reporters would love that. Miriam took his hand from the seat next to him, understanding how her husband was feeling. He turned to her, giving her his best politician’s smile, causing her to laugh slightly. She knew her husband too well. He breathed in deeply, fixing his smile, and opened the door, climbing out of the vehicle and into the sea of journalists.

*

David was nervous. More nervous than he felt he ought to be. His hand shook slightly as he lifted the glass of water that had been left for him on the large wooden table. He looked around at the empty seats surrounding the table before taking a sip. Really, he ought to be outside with the others, rather than in here, getting in the way of the security services. “I’m sorry, sir,” one of them addressed him. “I’m going to have to sweep you for bugs as well, since you’re in here.”

It was a pain but David understood why it had to be done. He submitted to the search, having to give up his phone for inspection. When he was cleared, he sat back down in the elaborate seat and sipped from the heavy glass again, waiting. At that moment, the rest of his party entered and he immediately rose and smiled, greeting all of them like old friends.

*

Nick was always glad that it was not he who had to push through the crowds. He marvelled at his bodyguard’s ability to part any crowd as he followed him, keeping his smile still for the flashing cameras. Miriam was staying in the car, she really had to get back to look after Miguel; she hated leaving him for any length of time. As he approached the entrance to the grand building, Nick stopped to wave at his wife. This was partially for the cameras and partially for himself. He was glad to know that she would support him.

Once inside, there were the usual security checks, which Nick allowed to wash over him. Soon, they were swept into the room with the Conservatives and the handshakes began. Everyone had to shake with everyone; it was only gentlemanly. Nick felt like he had shaken twenty hands, before his hand finally collided with the most familiar one of all. He looked up, straight into the face of David Cameron and was instantly transported back, back to an earlier time. Those eyes hadn’t changed.

*

The applause had been deafening. It rang in Nick’s ears as he took his final bow and disappeared into the changing room. Some of his friends had already managed to gatecrash backstage, bringing booze and confusion with them. Everyone was celebrating, though Nick got the feeling that most of them hadn’t really understood the meaning of the play.

“And that scene at the end where that chick was like, ‘you have AIDS?’ Classic!” guffawed one of them, taking a swig from his can.

At this, Nick reached for a can himself. He had a feeling that he was going to need to be quite drunk before he could stand a whole evening of re-enactments.

“I thought it was beautiful,” said a voice quietly. Nick looked up wildly, wondering who had spoken. His eyes found those of a stranger. Nick straightened up, drawn into those blue eyes.

“Thanks,” he replied, keeping his voice down as well. “I’m Nick,” he said, offering a hand.

“David,” said the stranger, taking his hand and smiling warmly. The first handshake of many.

*

“I’m so glad we agreed to meet,” David said, more for the benefit of the others than Nick. “Please, have a seat, everyone,” he addressed the crowd. A huge sigh of relief settled throughout the room as the middle-aged men sat down happily. Water was brought to them all and they drank heartily, thirsty from the greetings.

David steeled himself and stood up. He began his prepared speech about how he hoped that the two sides could come to an agreement very soon and that he was looking forward to working with the Liberals. His mouth continued on autopilot, buzzwords like ‘stable government’ floating through the room, as he caught the eye of his opponent.

*

A couple of hours later and the gatecrashers were already flagging. “Something tells me they’re not still discussing the finer merits of the performances,” David commented to Nick, watching happily as Nick smiled at this. “How about we get out of here?” he asked.

Nick nodded in agreement. “This way,” he said. “If we go out the back they’ll probably never even notice we’ve gone.”

The pair slipped out of the back door, unnoticed by the drunken students in full party swing. They walked silently down the street, shy all of a sudden. They had been talking for hours about the play but now that they were really alone, they couldn’t think of what to say. Nick was the first to break the silence. “So, how come I haven’t seen you around?” he asked. “I know most of the drama buffs around here,” he gestured at the quiet Oxford street.

David was disappointed to find himself blushing. “Actually, I’m from Cambridge,” he admitted reluctantly, turning away.

“Ah…” Nick said thoughtfully. “I knew there had to be a downside to you,” he elbowed him, playfully. He obviously didn’t mind that the two universities were rivals.

David looked happily at Nick. “You really don’t mind?” he asked, to be sure that the other boy wasn’t joking.

“No,” Nick smiled. He stopped, looking closer at his new friend. “In fact, I think it’s very interesting.”

“Really?” David was smiling now too. Nick was so close that he could feel his breath tickling his face. Suddenly, there was no more breath and David felt Nick’s lips press softly against his. Initially surprised, David relaxed into the kiss after a second. The first kiss of many.

*

David blushed slightly as he finished his speech. The others in the room believed it was merely the tension of the situation but Nick wondered if he was remembering as well.

The talks were long and boring, with arguments flying on both sides. Nobody could come to any kind of agreement. Despite what they had said in front of the camera, behind closed doors the parties could not reconcile their views with one another. Everyone was glad when it came for the first enforced break.

The old men began filing out. “Nick, I wonder if I could have a word?” David asked as the rest of the room dissipated.

“Any agreements you make now will have to be verified in front of us later, you know,” one of his peers reminded him.

“Thank you,” said David. “But I would just like to talk to Nick as an old friend.” Once everyone had left the room, David didn’t say anything, but closed the door. After a moment’s hesitation, he drew the bolt across it as well. Nick’s eyes widened.

“David, what are you—” Nick was cut off by a long kiss from his rival, transporting them both back to when they had first met.

David broke off first. “I know what you were thinking today,” he began, breathing in deeply, nervous again. “And I think it would be an excellent idea if our parties were to work together, don’t you? Think about it. We would have to spent a lot of time alone, discussing things privately. For the good of the country,” David’s eyes sparkled, meeting Nick’s, hoping for approval.

In response, Nick kissed him back. “Yes,” he said finally. “I think that would be best. For the good of the country,” he echoed.

*

Half an hour later, the leaders of the parties emerged from the room to the expectant faces of their parties. “Mr Clegg and I have come to an agreement,” announced David to the crowd. “The Liberal Democrats and the Conservatives will henceforth work together to run this country. We believe that it is in the country’s best interests that we do this and we hope to receive all of your support.” The crowd burst into spontaneous applause, everyone was glad that they had come to this agreement.

The first ‘agreement’ of many.