Status: just started :)

Puppet Strings

Ash Clicks the Lock

Six years later I sat in a large black car that throbbed under heat, it had a threatening grate on the front and leather exterior. But I was calm and contented and not worried about this new school. The landscaped flashed past me in a merged marble whirl wind until, eventually after a long stuffy drive, we arrived a huge old manor house with vibrant plants climbing up the front. The sun shimmered behind it, a beautiful Saturday so I could get used to the building before the teaching started.
I was the only one starting today, since it was rare to find our kind, but I had ankle high, lace up the front, cage stiletto's on. About as high as heels got ( I wasn't a very tall person at all), with a black leather mini skirt and a plain red strap top. I had bulky necklaces (black and gold) on and chunky bracelets, oh and pilot sunglasses. My red hair down the back of my shoulders. So you can see why I felt confident when I strode into the building.
“Aprella! My dear. Six years on, my have you grown!” The blond man came rushing over, bags under his eyes from lack of sleep.
“That tends to happen.” I replied nastily and looked round at the glossy hallway and crimson carpet. I felt a slight smile hint my lips.
“Tashas going to show you round, while we take your bags to your room.”
“Very well.” I nodded to him coldly and Tasha came out from behind him with purple hair back in a high curly bunch and dark brown eyes. She had a simply, long sleeved white top and dark denim jeans rolled up to three quarters.
“Heya!” she smiled. “I'm Tasha.”
“I herd, I'm not deaf.” I told her frowning. She let her arms flop to the side and enthusiasm drained a little bit.
“Okay. Um, this way to the main living area?”
“Sure.” I said looking round at the high ceiling feeling very happy with it all. I don't know why I insisted on keeping this façade up here as people would know my power, but I wanted the sense of control of people fearing me.
She nudged into me and nodded toward a group of girl filing their nails, perched on the top of the sofa's in the big room with a round midnight rug, flat screen, little kitchen behind (not the main one) and many mis-match furniture.
“Stay away from them. They're the populars. Mean as hell.” I turned to her, an evil smiled painted on my face.
“I'll take it from here.” I clipped over to them and put a hand on my hip.
“Hello girls.” they all turned their heads and stared at me, at first they tried looks of disgust, what they normally gave every one else, but it turned to admiration.
“Oh my gosh,” the blond one whispered, “that's a top-designer leather mini skirt,” she reached out and let her fingers touch it's surface ever so slightly.
“And those shoes...” the brunette trailed off.
“I'm Aprella.” I smiled sickly sweet. “Nice to meet you.” I had instantly sunk my teeth into the higher end of the school.
“But-” the blond started, her icy blue eyes slitted mischievously, “those,” she pointed to the sunglasses pushed on top of my head. “I don't like those. I've seen them before in many shops. They're old fashion and shit.” she finished smugly, I smiled again and squared my jaw, leaning onto the sofa.
“Your going to have to live with it -”
“Sophia.” she put in.
Sophia.” there was a moment of bitter sweet in the air and the we both relaxed, I had passed the test.
“So.” The brunette tilted her small pointed chin up, “What's your power.”
“That's not the question. The question is, what's your power? And what's hers?” I nodded towards Tasha in disgust.
“Briny can multiply her body and be in several places at once-” Sophia explained and glanced at Briny for a quick example, who then stood up and let a second Briny slide out of her and they both smiled at the same time. I remained perfectly calm and unsurprised.
“And I can control electricity.” She held her hand up and made a small lightening bolt crash through the air setting fire to curtains, the electricity spinning and zapping about. Water shot out onto the fire from the palm of a boy who was lazily slumped in a chair.
They weren't to damaged. She smiled at me, without even a glance at the curtains.
“Tasha?” they glanced at each other wearily. “Boring! She can crumble solid objects.” It actually sounded pretty cool, make a whole house turn to dust. We chatted for a while, and I shook off their questions about me. I was a very secretive person.
“SO basically this is like super hero school?” They both snorted in amusement at me and I realised I let my act, an act I'd had since I was six, drop for a split second showing the more fun me.
“What ever! Although no one here would put it that way! And any way. We prefer to be villains.” she showed me perfect white teeth in a dazzling flash and we got up and walked along the corridors of the dorms up stairs. I soon realised i had underestimated their “meanness.” a girl, very small for her age, was walking down the corridor with course work in he arms but Sophia stopped her with a lightened grin.
“Hey Courtney.” Courtney glanced up and fear wondered in her soulful but bland eyes.
“Sophia! Sorry I'm an a bit of a rush to get this al finished for Monday, I'm nearly there.”
“Take you a long time?” Briny asked. She nodded up at her, I stood quietly behind observing the two girls behaviour.
“Wouldn't it be such a shame if anything happened to it.” sighed Sophia.
“Where are you going with this -” the girl started but Briny slid into two forms, one tapped on Courtney's shoulder making her spin around, the other knocked all the paper flying and scattering across the floor.
“NOO!” she shrieked and dived to pick them up, knocking my sunglasses out my hand, but Sophia lazily flicked some electricity volts at her and she screamed in agony and shock, being flung back by the power. Then Sophia set the paper alight by landing a spark on it which fell from her finger tips when she snapped them. In fits of laughter Sophia and Briny both drunkly tried to walk away but they were doubled over, giving Courtney enough time to open her mouth and let smoke billow out and fill the corridor, before disappearing in tears. I herd she can make any gas fill the air. Sophia and Briny were choking on the air as was I, as it filled our lungs and constricted out throats. But suddenly a whoosh of wind whispered around us demolishing the dark, shadowed cloud and leaving a boy standing there, in his boxes, in front of his room. His door still wide open.
“Fuck me side ways Sophia! Keep that shit for outside.” and slammed the door in anger. She smiled wholesomely.
“Sorry Ben!” she called, obviously with some sort of flirtatious affection for him, and carried on as scolding bits of ash fluttered through the air.
“We're gonna get told off for that.” Briny sighed.
“Oh crap!” Sophia muttered. “I didn't actually mean to completely ruin it, her reactions were just too funny.”
“Don't worry. I'll sort that out. You won't get in trouble” I smiled gloatingly.
“So what can you do? Implant thoughts or something?”
“Better.” I smiled reaching my room and clicking the key in to see my stuff was already here.
“Whaaaaaaat?” Briny moaned. I eyed her with annoyance.
“See you later.” I smiled at them and closed the door, my ear pressed against it until I herd their foot steps and chatter die away. I let out a big sigh, kicking the heels off and pulling the tight little skirt off, dropped the fakery. I couldn't be bothers to take the nails off but I pulled my red strappy top from over my head and clunked all my black and gold jewellery on the little bed side table. The room was a dark blue ish with a cream carpet and a double bed with gold carvings. It had a little on sweet with silver tiles and a power shower. It was like a posh kids room. The only bad thing was the all absence of red. I stood in my designer bra and knickers and kicked my bag open and found one of my oversized t-shirts, the dark grey one with the black and yellow bat man symbol on the front. Then I let my hair free and wild from any grips and fell back onto my bed.
This was me! The real me!
I replayed the scene in my head of the poor and beautiful Courtney. Sighing I suddenly remembered my expensive sunglasses were still at the scene. Some thing spasm in my stomach and I realised I had to go get them. I slipped out the door closing it behind me quietly and checked hastily down each hallway. I tiptoed along and saw them lying their, blacked, amongst the rubbish. I scooped them up and seeing the damage almost wailed, scampering back to my room. I turned the handle... it was locked. I had left the key inside.
“Dam it!” I cried and pounded my fist on the door. “You are such a silly billy sausage bean!” I cried, ruffling my thick hair in annoyance.
“You need help?” I nearly jumped outta my skin and span round in dismay at having been caught as Ella instead of Aprella. Then my heart skipped a beat.
He. Was. Beautiful. Maybe not to other peoples eyes, but to me he had everything I valued as attractive. And it was a bit of a Marmite look, you love it or you hate it.
He had soft black hair, it swept to one side and covered his left eye. His eyes were baby blue and had perfect contrast with his pale skin with sweet pink blossomed behind his cheeks. He had an eyebrow piercing and was pretty much flawless.
He stood there in a dark blue skinny jeans and a black T-shirt. An amused smile on his face. He blew me away so much I forgot to be Aprella.
“Oh my gosh I'm so sorry. Um I'm Ella, no wait that's wrong, Aprella. Not Ella.” I shook my head and tried to focus. “I locked my self out! First day, not doing to well.” I laughed and something twinkled in his eyes.
“Come here you.” he nudged me aside with his hips and stared at the lock, it clicked and swung open.
“Oh wowzers! What's your power?”
“I can move any thing with my mind through my eyes or exerting the power through my hands. It comes in useful.” I smiled happily.
“Well thank you. You saved me a lot of drama, epically dressed like this.”
“No problem girl.” He winked. “I'm Ash.” I grinned and saluted him jokily.
“Twas an honor.” I laughed and this time he joined in.
“See you around.” a small smile lightened my eyes. “You to Ash.” and closed the door gently behind me, my first steps to my bed light and springy, the rest getting deeper and deeper in remorse.
DAM it. He just met Ella. I nearly punched myself I was so cross and angry.
I yanked my top off and put the uncomfortable gear back on and looked in the mirror, telling my self i was Aprella now and I needed to act like it always. I can't let a boy get in my way of that. Even if we were just friendly. I needed and early night. Tomorrow I thought I could check the lake out, see if it was as pretty as they say it is. I ended up changing yet again, staring longingly at my comfy red tartan pyjamas, but slipped on my elaborate, silk satin dusty pink night dress with grey lace at the edgings. Cut off around my thighs and down my boobs. I sighed, pulling the covers over my head, and with worries swimming in my head, did not get a super night sleep.