Status: Complete

Emotionless

Chapter Twenty-Six

My mom stared at me oddly over the mug of coffee in her hands, shocked to hear the news of my departure. River and Joel were sat either side of her, gawking at me as if I were some kind of alien that had just dropped through the chimney chute and started dancing like a chicken with strawberry laces hanging from my mouth. Mom placed her coffee down on the floor, leaning back into the sofa as she ran a hand through her dark hair and tried to process the words that had just spilled from her only daughter’s lips. Joel and River were calm though, trying to come up with something to say to me that wouldn’t come out wrong.

‘Three days? And New York, that’s a long way away.’ Mom was babbling on, the news tossing and churning in her mind constantly – I could see it in her blue eyes that stared blankly at me. I nodded slowly, blushing lightly as I shuffled my feet awkwardly over the balding red carpet beneath my feet. My mouth opened to say something, but the words couldn’t describe the real reason why I jumped at this chance to leave Cali. I just couldn’t be here any longer, not now that everything was fucked up and messing around in my mind like a washing machine.

River cleared his throat, leaning forwards with his forearms resting on his thighs as he looked me up and down. He probably saw why I wanted to leave, but a smile licked its way onto his lips as he stood from the sofa and encased me in a warming hug. ‘Well done, KeKe. And don’t rush back because of us, go for it,’ he murmured, kissing my cheek gently before letting go with Joel cuddling me tight. I swear he could have squeezed the breath out of me if he hugged me any tighter. Telling me that he was going to miss me, he ruffled my hair which earned a punch in the arm jokingly.

‘Stay safe out there. It’s a big world and I’m scared I’ll loose my baby-girl. You grew up too fast,’ Mom sobbed, grabbing me and holding me to her chest as she cried into my hair. Awkwardly, I patted her back and looked over at River and Joel who were trying to hold back their laughter at seeing how un-cool this moment was. ‘And find yourself a nice guy out there. I’m expecting to have you back here in eighteen months with a fiancée or sprogged up, I want you to be happy and have someone to look after you.’ Oh cheeses. Mom was going on about wanting to be a grandma again. When I was younger she threatened to kick me out if I ever had a kid, now she’s encouraging it!

‘Uh, yeah. Well, I have to go. Iain’s helping me, um, pack,’ I lied, smiling brightly as I hugged everyone once more and left my Mom’s place, thankful to be able to breath without chocking on the aroma of scented candles my mom collects. They’re just so intoxicating it’s unreal. I swear my mom gets high off them. Stepping from the warm house and into a cooler climate made me shiver slightly as I wandered over to the silver car I said I borrowed off Iain. The lies just won’t stop; I don’t know how to control it anymore. The car revved beneath my body like a purring cat, the engine roaring as I reversed into the road and drove away, deciding that it was best to tell Pippa and Molly at the last minute so they have no chance of throwing a party.

When Iain came to collect me for our date that night, I’d managed to clear my mind through going down to the pool below the house and swimming for a good two hours. A smile spread over my lips when I answered the door, greeting the tall auburn haired beauty I knew would never break my heart. At least, I hope he wouldn’t. He was wearing a simple black V-neck with a pair of torn stone wash jeans, his worn converses squeaking as he shuffled nervously. ‘Don’t you scrub up nice,’ Iain grinned as he eyed my up down slowly, taking my hand in his softly with his fingers tangling within mine perfectly. Calling to my Aunt and Uncle that I was going out, I shut the door and skipped after Iain to his black Mercedes Benz waiting at the edge of the driveway.

‘Let me see, I don’t like surprises,’ I giggled, trying to pry his fingers away from my eyes so I could see where we were going. Laughing at me, Iain whispered that we were almost there before taking his hands from my view to reveal a blanket lay out on the sand with candles illuminating the area. A basket sat on the corner of the blanket, and roses appeared in front of me with an arm hugging my waist from behind. ‘Awe, their beautiful. It’s beautiful, how did you come up with all of this?’ Iain shrugged, allowing me to take the roses but keeping his arms locked around my waist lovingly. I sunk into his chest, loving the way he held me as I stared at the scene set before me.

‘Hey, I want to make an impression on you. Also, I have something to tell you.’ Iain’s arm disappeared from my waist as he took my hand in place and pulled me to sit next to him on the blanket, smiling innocently. I crossed my legs beneath me, playing a piece of hair around my fingers as Iain brought out a bottle of wine from the basket. ‘First, a toast to your newly found success in the writing business,’ he said, handing me a glass of honey coloured liquid as he rose his into the air and clanked it against the crystal glass held within my own hand. ‘And now the news. Your Uncle thought that it was best if someone went with you to New York, so...’ I motioned my hands for him to carry on.

‘I’m coming with you.’
♠ ♠ ♠
Ohhh... One more chapter and then I'll start on the sequel!
Thanks so much for all my lovely commenters, you're all so awesome!
Smiles;
XxRawr-Im-A-KittyxX
Ultravolet Light
Delightful Syn
RDGDLl