Status: Oneshot//ContestEntry

Something to Remember

.001

I walked down the long white hallway with my eyes staring at the ground. I felt alone, utterly alone despite the hundreds of people milling around me. My classmates, my peers, teachers and people that I didn’t recognize all crammed together for a little bit over three minutes before they would have to make a run to their next class.

“Hey Emily, what new with you?” My friend, Kattie asked, I bit my lip nervously. What could I say? I was depressed and thinking about killing myself, again? No I don’t think so.

“Uhm, nothing really. Just the same old y’know, how about you?” I lied through clenched teeth hoping that she wouldn’t call my bluff.

“The same old.” She replied as the bell rang, warning us to get to class. “Oh I’ll talk to you later, gotta go.” She called as she swiftly turned away and walked to what I presumed was her next class, her wavy blonde hair bobbing as she walked. Within moments the hallways had nearly cleared out and I slipped unnoticed into the nearby door, which happened to be my science class.

The classroom was nearly full and I took a seat in the first row, last desk where I had sat every day since I had first switched to Eastwood Composite High school. The second bell rang and two or three more barely made it into class before our teacher, Mr. Minks shut the door.

The next fifty-two minutes of science class passed slowly with Mr. Minks lecturing us about plants, I spent it differently. I took out a sheet of paper and began to write things down. After about five minutes it became a list of two separate things: reasons to live and reasons to die. Reasons to die, was winning, by a long shot.

“Okay people good work, we will continue this lesson tomorrow.” Mr. Minks announced at the end of class, I turned and looked at the clock, we had two minutes left. I tore the paper in half, leaving the reasons to life on one half of the paper and reasons to die on the other half. I folded up the reasons to live and threw it into the nearby trash can. I was just folding up the reasons to die when the bell rang. Without thinking I picked up my stuff and bolted out the door, leaving my note on my desk. It was lunch now so I had an hour of free time, free time that I spent walking around with friends.

“So like I was saying, him and Michelle they aren’t going to last at all.” Kattie exclaimed as we walked by a small thin girl who was having her face sucked off by the star quarterback. I don’t know how people could actually enjoy that. To me it looked just nasty.

“Mhmm.” I answered, not really paying attention to what she had to say instead forcing my hand into my pocket to find the note I had written earlier. My hand didn’t feel it; it just felt the bottom of my pocket. When I remembered that I had left it in Mr. Minks class.

“Uhm listen I gotta go Kattie.” I said then bolted, leaving her standing in the middle of the hallway looking confused and getting strange glances from people. I reached Mr. Minks door within moments then twisted and pulled on the brass handle thankful that it was unlocked. My note was still sitting on my desk but it was obvious someone had read it. It was unfolded and laying flat on the desk, my desk. I picked it up and noticed that someone had written across in black marker. You’re much too beautiful to die. The writing was messy and it was obvious that they had been in a hurry. I picked up the paper and tears started to blur my vision, I cradled the paper up against my chest and started to sob in earnest as I sat down in the corner.