Is It Really a Better Life?

Chapter Two

The next day I woke up early and trudged,bleary eyed, into the bar. I groaned when I remebered cleaning up the night before, which meant I didn't have to get up so early to do it this morning. It was then that I saw a slumped over figure in the far dark corner of the room. Jerome wouldn't be at the dock this early,so I knew this was a matter I had to take into my very own hands, no matter how much they were shaking. I picked up a glass pitcher and tiptoed as quietly as I could toward the figure. I stopped about ten feet away when I thought I heard something, and for a moment I wanted to run upstairs shake Lee awake and have him come downstairs and have whoever or whatever was in the bar. But I knew I couldn't do that---Lee would only punsh me then lock me outside for being stupid. Another smaller noise jerked me out of my thoughts and I moved a little closer when the figure got up. I lunged at it, pushing it into the light and realizing it was only George, shoved him to the ground and put the pitcher down. I was so happy, and angry, and relieved all at once.
You see, being that George lived in the slums (as did I, just not on the street like he did) so he knew the basics of survival. He could fight, steal, break into places, and so many more necissary skills that would make anyone of the gentleman shocked--and any of their wives faint.
"WHY?! Just you know what?.....ugh!" I realized how loud I was and in fear of waking Lee, so I lowered my voice to a whisper. "Why!?" I repeated.
" 'Cause the prince who lived in the palace I happened to be staying in last night came home." He replied with a big, goofy grin on his face.
"So you came here of all places? And keep it down, it'll be my head on the chopping block when he wakes up!"
"Fine,fine. Hey, relax! The old dunce could be dead and no one would realize."
I just stared at him.
He looked down and I could tell there was something he wasn't telling me,"What happened?"I demanded.
"Well, I hadn't eaten all day, and I just couldn't ask you for a favor so...I took from the rich and gave to the poor..."
I smacked him playfully on the shoulder "Yeah, you're just a regular Robin Hood."