Status: Active: I will post pretty much every day!

Lets Get This Over With

A Little Favor

"Miss Moran, can I talk to you for a minute before you leave?"

I looked up from the math problem I had been finishing to see my teacher standing beside my desk. I quickly put the homework he had just assigned the class into a folder.

"Sure," I replied. Someone giggled in the background. I turned around and saw Tammy Ryker toss her hair behind her shoulder and smirk at me.

Tammy was one of those people that ruled the school. Her hair was long, platinum blonde, and slightly wavy. Her skin seemed to be perpetually tan, even in the cold winters in New Jersey. Every piece of clothing she wore was expensive. Tammy was a teacher’s pet by being smart and by sucking up. She always got everything she wanted.

Ever since I moved to New Jersey in 7th grade the girl had had it in for me. When I came, I was placed into 8th grade honors math because my old school had an accelerated program and I was always good at it because it was the only subject that ever made sense to me. Two plus two always equaled four; no guesswork. Before that happened, Tammy was always able to be the best at everything. I ruined that for her and now she hated me.

"I just need to ask a little favor," Mr. Day said, breaking my train of thought. "One of the students in my Algebra 1 class is struggling a bit and his parents asked me if I could find him a tutor. I thought that you would be perfect for the job, seeing how excellent of a math student you are." He smiled at me

"His parents also told me that they would be happy to pay for your services. I believe they said about $10 an hour. So, what do you say? Remember, I can always ask someone else so I only want you to do it if you would be comfortable. I believe you could benefit from the experience, too. Students always learn more from helping other students."

I thought about it. I liked math, that was no big deal, and I did need to start getting money from somewhere. It wasn't like it was just magically going to appear out of nowhere.

"Sure Mr. Day, I'd love to," I replied.

"Excellent. Now the student you're tutoring is Joe Jonas..."

I felt my jaw drop. I have to tutor Joe Jonas!

"Is something wrong Miss Moran?"

"Uh...no. When do I have to start?"

"His parents were hoping you could start today and go over to their house every day after school, if that's alright with you? They are willing to have you come every other day but would much rather you be there every day."

"Umm...yeah, that's fine," I answered, pretty much in a daze. I couldn't believe how awful my luck was. “I guess I could go every day.”

"Great! Here is their address. I'll call over to tell them you will be over today. See you in class tomorrow," Mr. Moran said while handing me a slip of paper.

"Yeah...thanks." I took the address and threw my messenger bag over my shoulder. "Bye Mr. Day, see you tomorrow," I said as I left the classroom.

Okay, maybe I was being a little overdramatic. It wasn't as if Joe Jonas was really that bad. I didn't even know him beyond what you hear around school. It was just that he was a sophomore, making him the same age as Tammy Ryker, and as my luck would have it he was in her group of friends.

Of course he would be part of the "popular" crowd. Him and his brothers had started a band. According to…basically everyone…they were pretty good, too. That attracted the attention of Tammy and, like I said earlier, she always got what she wanted. Now I know I shouldn't hold prejudices before I even get to know someone, but anyone that hangs out with Tammy is bound to not like me.

No matter where I go, I am always an outsider. I don't fit in with any of the popular crowds, not that I really want to, and never seem to have too many friends. I have just never felt like I needed to surround myself with a lot of people. Fortunately I have always found one really good friend. We stick to ourselves and basically do whatever we want.

Speaking of that one good friend, Cara was standing by my locker waiting for me. I walked up, waved, and started doing my locker combination.

"Liz! Where have you been? I have been standing here forever."

"Way to be dramatic, Car. Mr. Day was just asking me a favor." I shoved the books I didn't need in my locker and put the rest in my bag once again throwing it over my shoulder.
"Oh, what did he want?"

I sighed. "He wants me to tutor one of his Algebra 1 students…Joe Jonas."

"Ugh...I'm sorry Liz. Really, I do feel for you," Cara said, placing one hand on her heart and the other on my shoulder. Once again with her and her sarcastic dramatics, always making a joke out of everything.

"Sorry I ever told you!" I laughed.

"Well, my mom's waiting outside if you want to come over."

"Uh…Car. I can't. I have to tutor, remember?"

"You didn't tell me you started today, jeez! How was I supposed to know?"

"You were supposed to read my mind, duh!"

"Oh, right. I'll try that next time." We both laughed. "My mom could still give you a ride home if you want?"

"Are you sure that's okay. I don't want you to go out of your way."

"Of course it's fine, Liz. Come on."

"Okay, okay."

We talked about random stuff the entire time her mom was driving us home. We pulled into my driveway and I opened my door.

"Thanks for the ride Mrs. Wynn."

"No problem sweetie."

"Bye, Liz," Car waved. "We'll be here to pick you up at seven.

"Okay, thanks. See you tomorrow."

I turned around and walked into the house.
♠ ♠ ♠
Hope everyone enjoys the first chapter. A new one will be coming sometime tomorrow. Please comment and let me know how you like it.

<3 Lex