Status: Hiatus

Carousel

Four

It was a strange world.

The rooms were lit not only in the daytime, through the sunlight, but even at night with artificial light. It was amazing how I could flip a switch and be able to see again.

I was offered clothes, not unlike what Paige was wearing. But I simply refused them - I would never be caught in pants. Instead I chose some simple dresses, almost like the maid's dresses at home, but much better quality. It was better than nothing.

I never saw much of Mr. Parks. He was never at the grand house, just at work, whatever that means. Anthony was pleasant - I could see myself getting married to him. He was always welcoming, teaching me new things about this world and taking care of me when I couldn't.

Paige, however, was different. I had barely talked to her at all, in the first five days I spent here. She was always in her chamber, coming out to eat, mostly. We exchanged greetings, but that was all. She either just did not like me, or was painfully why. I hoped it was the latter, because she seemed mysterious, and I wanted to be her friend - I wanted to know her.

---

"Karina, let me get that for you," Anthony insisted, pulling the door open for me. He was a gentleman, although it was proper to act that way towards a princess anyway.

"Thank you, Anthony," I said. He was handsome and kind, the type of prince that every princess wanted to marry. I was glad I did not get a slob for a fiance, but Anthony seemed to be missing something.

I sat down in the cushioned dining chair, eagerly waiting for food. It was served on silver platters, not unlike the ones back home. I picked up my fork daintily and started eating, Anthony and Paige watching me curiously.

---

After dinner we watched a "movie", like the plays at home, except it was on a huge screen. I was mystified at first, but soon got used to this strange world. I sat on their leather couch, my bare feet brushing the expensive white plush carpeting. Anthony sat beside me, his arms wrapped around me in an embrace that would have gotten horrified looks from the ladies in my castle.

But it felt natural in this new world. Paige was sitting on the other side of me, paying no attention to it. I had never gotten to know her well, and I planned to at least talk to her before I left. She seemed like a pleasant person, and I would have loved to have her as a friend.

The movie soon ended and my thoughts got fuzzier as I yawned. It was late, later than I usually retire to bed, because there were light sources here. Back home, everyone went to bed a little bit after the sun set.

"You're tired," Anthony said gently. "I'll take you to your room."

He led me upstairs and into the guestroom that I had stayed in for the past couple of days. It was white, completely white, from the polished dresser to a fluffy down comforter. Some may have thought of it as bland, but I loved it. Being the only color in a room made me feel special, like I stood out.

"Good night, Karina," Anthony said softly with a half-smile on his lips. I looked into his gray eyes and smiled back. He leaned over and gently pressed his lips to mine. It was nothing too passionate, just a quick peck on the lips was all.

It was my first kiss, and it wasn't as special as I thought it was. Anthony was a nice guy, but I felt like I was missing something. Maybe it would take until marriage to find it. I wouldn't know - I had never fallen in love before.

I undressed sleepily and slipped into a white silk nightgown. It was smooth and cool against my skin. I got onto the bed and started pulling on the sheets until I realized that I had forgotten my glass of water. Sighing, I got out of bed to ask Anthony if he could get it for me. I was far too tired to walk down the twisting marble staircase.

Before I could knock on the door, I heard muffled voices coming from behind it. I listened in, knowing it was wrong, but I was curious. I strained to hear what they were saying, pressing my ear against the smooth white surface of the door.

"...still do it anyway."

"What am I supposed to do about it, Paige?"

The voices were raised, like whoever they belonged to were having an argument. I realized that they belonged to Anthony and Paige.

"Keep away."

"How? I'm going to be married in a couple of weeks."

"I don't know why you even agreed to it, Anthony. Wouldn't most guys your age want to date around a bit?"

"I'm not like most guys," Anthony sighed.

"I realized. But you agreed to marry this girl even before you met her. You don't even like her, do you?"

"She is a bit... bland. But I will learn to love her, and that's what matters. You need to find someone else to occupy your time."

"So you wouldn't even do this for your darling little sister?"

"I would, Paige... It's just that I don't want to disappoint dad again."

"Find a different way to make it up."

"Karina and I are going to be married in a couple of weeks, okay? It will make dad happy, after... well, you know. I'm not going to let him down again."

"I know. It's just... ugh."

"Well, it's not my fault that someone has a little crush on the princess."

Paige let out a wordless shriek. I heard her stomping towards the door and ran as fast as I could back to my own room. My glass of water wouldn't be needed tonight.
♠ ♠ ♠
Looks like the Parks siblings have their own little secrets.

Comment. Subscribe. Love. Predict.

Check out some of my other work too, if you have time.