Conscious.

1.

Nate sighed despondently, staring at his reflection in the full-length mirror; a look of distaste painted upon his features. He poked , pinched and pulled at his sides, stomach and chest. The actions took on an heir of annoyance and slight loathing .Another glum sigh fought its way past the drummer’s saliva slicked lips.
~~~...
‘Alex ?’ Nate inquired from his stuffy , humid bunk. A slightly muffled hum from the bassist signified he should continue,
‘Am I fat ?’ Nate asked, his tone reminiscent of a toddler asking for something they knew they wouldn’t get , he sighed again at the end of the question.
‘Of course not’ Alex replied like a mother scolding their child ‘ you have drummer muscles , Nate , drummer muscles. Enjoy it’. Nate replied with a soft noise and nodding , despite the fact the no-one could see him, ‘drummer muscles’ Nate thought , twisting the words round in his head , analysing them.
‘drummer muscles’ Nate whispered in a breathy tone , testing the words out. ‘what the fuck are drummer muscles ?’ Nate asked himself incredulously , unintentionally staring at the slightly ratty drumstick he held in his clenched fist.
~~~...
Nate padded into the lounge-area of the bus , yawning into the crook of his elbow as he went. Settling into one of the ,admittedly lumpy, sofas as well as he could ; he leaned toward a sleeping and (more than likely) hung-over Ryland. He poked the lanky guitarists shoulder lightly. Ryland sighed gruffly and mumbled something incoherent. Nate pushed Ryland’s shoulder , this time the taller of the pair rolled over and swatted Nate’s hand away , playfully of course.
“Ryland ?” Nate asked
“Yes ?” The guitarist replied, puzzled
“Am I fat ?” Nate asked , scrutinizing Ryland’s icy blue eyes
“Nate” He sighed “you are cuddly , which is good ... very good” Ryland finished before pulling Nate in for an impromptu hug. Nate hugged back , still confused by his band mates answer. Nate supposed cuddly was good , but did Gabe want a cuddly person ? Nate inwardly sighed ,he was pathetic , why would someone as amazing as Gabe ever want Nate. Nate , the ‘cuddly’ ,mature , short , young looking dude with ‘drummer muscles’. Nate cursed himself.
He wriggled out of Ryland’s surprisingly steadfast hold , he usually sought refuge in his band mates arms ... but lately he just hadn’t been himself and the rest of the band were noticing. Victoria was being extra attentive to his needs , constantly asking if he wanted a drink or something to eat , usually dismissing his answer and getting him something against his pleas. Alex was being more attentive physically ; often sitting closer to him , putting his arm round the drummers shoulders or pulling him into mildly awkward side-hugs. Nate didn’t mind though , he often welcomed the hugs. Gabe just chatted to him more , about idle subjects and going off on tandems every couple of minutes. Of course Nate was enthralled by Gabe’s pointless chats and numerous stories (most of which were outrageously embellished) and welcomed each new story with an enthusiastic grin.
♠ ♠ ♠
Ehh.