Status: Complete.

Never Regret

First

Those few prep days passed, and now it was time for our first show, July 4th. Neither of The Academy Is or Cobra Starship had heard our sound check earlier today, or any of our rehearsals, so I knew tonight would be a surprise for them. I guess the guys and girl in the other bands weren’t that bad. Sure they partied a lot, but they haven’t pressured me or JC to hang out with them like Logan, Reece and Taylor are, so I’ll give them points for that. They probably think I’m some sort of anti-social bitch, but I’m not I promise. I just have better things to do than make friends that won’t last and party for no reason.

Right now we’ve got about half an hour till Pete introduces the first gig of the tour. I’m sitting in my bunk finishing off my make-up as JC and Logan are getting changed in the small alley between the bunks. They know I don’t care. I’ve seen it all before, drunk and sober. I’ve decided to keep my dress sense fairly neutral today, with a black tank top, a short denim skirt, black tights with cobweb prints on and black Doc Martens. But my make-up was a lot more extravagant. I’d done a rainbow eyeshadow around my eyes, including turquoise, bright green, yellow, orange, red, magenta, violet and dark blue. My nail varnish was turquoise and my lips were hot pink. I’d back-combed my hair up to a crazy height, knowing that its white-blondendess would be enough on its own.

“How does this look?” JC asked me.

I stopped the drawing the eyeliner around my left eye, scanning his outfit. A black Nirvana t-shirt and loose-ish faded skinny jeans with black Vans. My eyes went to Logan as well, who wore a plain white t-shirt under an open red plaid shirt, ripped jeans and white DCs. Not bad.

“Looking good,” I smiled, nodding.

“Love the make-up,” he grinned, nodding gratefully.

I just giggled, finishing my eyeliner. I’d also put on a layer of pale foundation, so that the strong stage lights didn’t wash me out too much. When I was finished I rolled on some deodorant and hopped off my bunk, heading into the kitchen/lounge to grab a bottle of water.

“Hot stuff,” Reece whistled, making Taylor giggle.

He was only wearing a pair of cut-off denim knee-length shorts, leaving his tattooed muscled chest on show. Then again, all three guys in my band were ridiculously muscled, with broad shoulders and a selection of tattoos. Reece is just the epitome.

“Not as much as you,” I fake-flirted, winking dramatically.

“Oh you are going to have the other guys drooling after you tonight,” Taylor laughed.

“Logan and JC? Riiight,” I scoffed.

“I meant TAI and the Cobras,” Taylor laughed.

I just raised an eyebrow at her, unscrewing the water cap and taking a gulp.

“You are so oblivious, aren’t you?” Reece teased.

“Who’s oblivious to what?” Logan asked, sitting down on the couch.

“Mack to her admirers,” Taylor sang mockingly.

“From TAI and Cobra Starship? Totally,” Logan nodded.

“They’re just a bunch of horny guys, I’m not gonna satisfy that,” I said sharply.

“You sooooo need to get laid!” Reece groaned.

“Leave our little nun alone,” JC ordered playfully, sitting next to Logan.

“Thanks. I think,” I pouted.

“You know we love you, Mack. But maybe you should loosen up a little. It’s a 6 month tour, you’re going to have to get to know the other bands at some point,” Logan said warmly.

I frowned. I knew he was right, I just didn’t want to admit it.

“I’ll think about it,” I said after a slight pause.

“I’ll settle for that,” Logan chuckled.

Not long after that, we were called to the arena.

“Alright, you’re on in 10 minutes,” Pete told us, smiling, “I’ll go on just before you do to introduce the tour, so get yourselves prepped, yeah?”

We looked at each other before heading to the roadies. Pete frowned but didn’t say anything.

“Have a good show,” we chorused to the 3 men responsible for guitars.

They looked confused but nodded. We repeated this again with the drum techs, the sound engineers, the lighting guys and everyone else responsible for something in the show, before heading back to Pete.

“Did you just go and say ‘have a good show’ to everyone working here?” Pete mused.

“Every single person working backstage is important, and has a role to play, and we like to show our gratitude for that,” Logan explained, “It’s a tradition and it shows our respect,”

“Fair enough. Alright, get your instruments, because I’m going onstage,” Pete instructed.

The roadies handed me my pure white bass guitar and I smiled. It had been only a few hours since sound check but I missed holding my guitar. This wasn’t the only bass guitar I’d ever played, but it was definitely my favourite, aside from my acoustic. A Fender Precision bass – one of the best kinds. Then we heard screams and cheers, and turned our attention to Pete on the stage.

“Alright New York! I know you all know that tonight is the first night of the ‘You ain’t seen nothing yet’ tour, so you’d better be pumped. All three bands are incredible, and I know tonight will be a party! So, let me introduce the first band, Never Regret! Let me hear some noise!” Pete yelled excitedly.

He walked back off the stage to more screams and cheers, grinning.

“They’re ready for you,” he said happily.

I took a deep breath to calm my nerves, pumping my fist with each of my band mates’ fists, before following JC out onto the stage. I stood on the left, Logan stood in the centre and JC stood on the right, Reece obviously being at the back on a riser behind his drums. We’d mix things up a bit as we got into the performance by moving and jumping around, but this is how we always started. Logan grinned at the excited crowd, leaning towards his microphone.

“How you doing tonight everyone?” Logan asked loudly.

The crowd roared and cheered. Wow, that was unexpected! I grinned, knowing the rest of my band would be the same.

“I can’t hear them all the way back here,” Reece teased, speaking into the microphone placed by his drums.

“How are you doing tonight?” Logan repeated, raising his hands in the air.

An even bigger roar, cheer and screams. JC laughed into his microphone, making me smile. He had been more nervous than me before – I’m glad he’s relaxing.

“We’re Never Regret, and this is our first song of the night, Stay Young,” Logan grinned.

Reece did his drum introduction before Logan, JC and I started playing. Then Logan stepped up to his microphone and started singing.

Let's burn our dreams into the skyline
Tattoo our sweat and tears, forever you and I
Hold your breath 'til we cause the sundown
This is the moment
Time is racing, slow it down

Cause you, a feeling I can't deny
We are only here for one more night
Scream it like you mean it
One more time
We'll tear down the building
C'mon, C'mon! Sing along
(Woah-oah-oah)
C'mon! C'mon! Stay young

Let's light the kerosene tonight
Spark up like fireworks
Exploding in the sky
Kick down the new year and the future
We can't get closer here, the walls are falling down

Cause you, a feeling I can't deny
We are only here for one more night
Scream it like you mean it
One more time
We'll tear down the building
C'mon, C'mon! Sing along
(Woah-oah-oah)
C'mon! C'mon! Stay young

We'll be holding onto this so tight
Scream it like you mean it
One more time
We'll tear down the building
C'mon, C'mon! Sing along
(Woah-oah-oah)
C'mon! C'mon! Stay young

Til my breath I'm alive when we're side by side
Now, this is dedicated to you,”


Logan stepped back, letting JC stand on a small riser to do a short solo. I grinned, starting to jump in time with the beat.

“C'mon! C'mon! Sing along (Woah-oh-oh-oh)
C'mon! C'mon! Sing along (Woah-oh-oh-oh)
C'mon! C'mon!

We are only here for one more night
Scream it like you mean it
One more time
We'll tear down the building
C'mon, C'mon! Sing along
(Woah-oah-oah)
C'mon! C'mon! Stay young

We'll be holding onto this so tight
Scream it like you mean it
One more time
We'll tear down the building
We are only here for one more night
Scream it like you mean it
One more time
We'll tear down the building
C'mon, C'mon! Sing along
(Woah-oah-oah)
C'mon! C'mon! Stay young


The crowd cheered, screamed and roared. I whooped, still bouncing on my feet. This was what made it all worth it. I felt eyes watching me so I turned my head to the side of the stage, noticing three of The Academy Is boys were standing there, looking shocked. I winked playfully, before turning my attention back to what Logan was saying. Yeah, I’m a different person when I’m performing, but it’s the adrenaline that makes me happy, y’know? This is where I belong and I’m going to love every minute of it.

*

“Thank you New York! We’re Never Regret and we’re off to party while the Cobras are out here!” Logan yelled with a grin.

“Are you ready for Cobra Starship?” JC called, throwing his plectrum into the crowd.

I laughed as the crowd screamed and cheered, holding onto my white guitar tightly as I bounced off stage. Yeah, I’m still a little bit hyper, I’ll probably stay this way for 10 minutes or so. We all got like this after a show.

“I’m gonna go hang with Taylor at the merch booth,” I announced, handing my guitar to a roadie.

“Alright, tell her I’ll be down after I’ve put on more deodorant,” Reece nodded.

“Yeah, you do stink, dude,” JC teased.

Reece laughed and punched JC in the arm, heading down the corridor. I hugged Logan and JC quickly before heading the opposite way down the corridor, going down a passage that would lead me to the front of the arena where the merch booth was. But as I rounded the last corner, I bumped into someone. One of the guys from TAI. The Australian one, I think?

“Sorry Mackenzie,” he apologised, smiling genuinely.

Yup, definitely the Australian one.

“It’s alright, I wasn’t looking either. Sorry, I can’t remember your name. Well, I can’t remember anyone’s really,” I said, slightly embarrassed.

“Don’t sweat it. I’m Michael,” he laughed, extending his hand.

“Mackenzie. But you already knew that,” I chuckled, shaking his hand.

A little tingle passed up my arm, but I ignored it. Probably the after-effect of adrenaline still.

“Well I’d better get to Taylor on merch,” I said, clearing my throat.

“Oh, before you go, it’s The Butcher’s birthday today...”

“The Butcher?” I frowned, interrupting.

“Oh, sorry, Andy. Everyone calls him The Butcher, or Butcher,” Michael chuckled.

He has a nice laugh. A laugh that made happiness bubble in my stomach. Wait, what?

“Got it,” I nodded, smiling.

“It’s The Butcher’s birthday today and we’re having a party for him on our bus tonight after the show, seeing as we’re all leaving tomorrow morning. I know you don’t like socialising much, but I’ve just asked Taylor, she said yes, and Bill’s asking your bandmates right now...”

“Bill?” I frowned again, interrupting once more.

“Sorry, William,” Michael explained.

I blushed lightly but nodded, laughing.

“I was wondering if you’d come too? We’ve got red bull and Monster drinks stocked up for mixers, but you can have them instead of alcohol,” Michael offered.

I thought about it. I know I don’t like partying, but that’s partying for no reason. And if it’s someone’s birthday, it’d be rude not to go. I’m not a rude person. And if my bandmates are going...

“Sure, why not,” I nodded.

“Really? Wow, great! Okay, well I guess I’ll see you later then!” Michael said excitedly.

“Guess you will,” I laughed.

I noticed he had small dimples in his cheeks as he smiled, his blue eyes sparkling. I waved slightly before walking past him and towards the merch booths. Well that was weird.

*

By the time we’d got to the TAI bus, music was already pounding, even though the door was shut. I’d called home already tonight, so I wouldn’t miss that. But I was still a bit nervous. I hadn’t been to a party like this in a long time. So I squeezed Logan’s tanned hand, seeing as he was next to me.

“If you don’t want to go, I can make up an excuse,” he murmured, noticing the unease in my eyes.

But I shook my head, taking a deep breath.

“It’s okay, I just haven’t partied in a while. Especially not with people this much older than me. Besides, I promised Michael,” I replied, trying to convince myself as well as him.

“Oh you promised Michael, did you?” Logan grinned, a teasing glint in his blue eyes.

I nudged him with my hip, rolling my icy blues. There was no need to get ideas like that. JC knocked on the bus door, Reece and Taylor behind him and in front of us. Reece still hadn’t put a shirt on, but at least he smelt decent now. Aww that was mean, we love him really! The bus door opened, and William stood there, bottle in hand.

“Alright! Come in! Fuck, you’re all here! Chizzy wasn’t lying!” William grinned.

Logan snickered so I kicked him in the shin with my Doc Martens. I do love these boots. He winced slightly but stopped his smirk. Good. I froze slightly as I walked forward into the big bus, a bit overwhelmed by the sheer amount of people crammed in here. When JC realised I wasn’t behind him, he turned and looked at me.

“You gonna be okay?” he asked softly, letting Reece, Taylor, Logan and William walk past.

“Yeah. I’m not gonna drink tonight so I can get used to the party scene again though,” I nodded, taking a deep breath.

“I’ll stay sober with you then,” JC smiled.

“No, no, I know you love a good party – you’ve been avoiding going out because of me and I won’t let you any more. Got get wasted, I’ll be alright. I’m sure there’ll be someone else at least a little sober,” I replied, shaking my head.

“Are you sure?” JC asked hesitantly.

“Yeah, go have fun,” I grinned.

JC grinned back and pressed a kiss to my forehead, before walking further into the lounge, over to where the drinks were. I hung on the edge of the crowd, not really sure where to go. It’s not like I know these people very well, is it?

“Mackenzie! Over here!”

I bit my bottom lip at the sound of the Australian voice and turned my head to the left. Sure enough, Michael was sitting on a couch, with the girl and a guy from Cobra Starship. Smiling shyly, I squeezed through the crowd over to them, sitting down next to Michael in the space he made for me. I noticed that the other guy had a nose ring. That’s pretty cool.

“I’m glad you made it!” Michael said happily.

“It’s The Butcher’s birthday, so why not? Which one is he?” I asked, whispering the last part.

Michael laughed and pointed to a heavily tattooed guy wearing a cowboy hat.

“He’s 26 today,” Michael added.

“Thanks, I’ll talk to him when he’s finished tangoing with William,” I chuckled.

“Hey, Chizzy, are you going to introduce us or what?” the other guy teased.

“Chizzy?” I asked, confused.

“In my band, there’s a guy called Mike. We have similar names, obviously, so a lot of people use my last name, Chislett, to indicate the difference. This is Nate and this is Victoria, two of the Cobras. Guys, this is Mackenzie,” Michael introduced.

“It’s nice to finally meet you. Taylor’s told us a lot,” Victoria smiled.

“She has?” I frowned.

“Yeah, about your love for 1950s rock and roll, Johnny Cash in particular, your obsession with peanut butter and your incredible make-up skills. Love the rainbow look,” Victoria grinned.

Ah good, just the basics then. I got worried for a second there.

“Thanks,” I smiled.

“How many piercings have you got?” Michael asked curiously.

“3 in each lobe, so 6, then my Monroe, my lip and my belly button. So 9 in total,” I listed.

“Awesome,” Michael grinned, Nate and Victoria agreeing.

“How come we haven’t met you properly before? It’s been four days!” Nate asked cheerfully.

“I’m not really a social person. I prefer to work on my music than party,” I explained honestly.

“A dedicated woman, I like it,” Michael smiled.

I blushed slightly, making all three of them laugh. I didn’t notice the raised eyebrow Victoria sent to the Australian man next to me, but I didn’t notice someone appear on my right. It was Taylor.

“I got a few red bulls for you, JC’s orders. He’s in a tequila competition with Sisky and Suarez at the moment,” Taylor smiled, setting 3 cans on the small table in front of me.

“Thanks, Tay. Now get back to your love-monkey,” I chuckled.

Taylor mock-saluted before leaving us again.

“Who’s Sisky and Suarez?” I asked curiously, opening the first can.

“Adam T. Siska, aka Sisky. The bassist of my band,” Michael explained.

“And Alex Suarez, the bassist of mine and Nate’s band,” Victoria mused.

“Thanks. I don’t really know anyone, so names are a bit of a problem at the moment,” I apologised.

“No problem. You should definitely hang more though, you’re a cool chick. Haven’t met a girl as grounded as you before,” Nate grinned.

“Or with as awesome dress and make-up style,” Victoria added.

“I’ll see what I can do. I’m not like the rest of my band, but we’ve got 6 months to go yet. We’ll have to see what happens, won’t we?” I giggled.

Taking a big gulp of my energy drink, I missed the massive grin on Michael’s face. Maybe that was a good thing.
♠ ♠ ♠
Mackenzie on stage
Mackenzie’s bass guitar
Stay Young, We The Kings

I'll warn you now and say that all their songs will be We The Kings originals because I love that band!
And Michael and Mackenzie are starting to spend more time together...that's got to spark some interest, right?

Please comment! Only ContentToLetMeShine has been commenting, and I know there are 16 subscribers at the moment....so please support this story? I'd really appreciate knowing your thoughts!

xo