Status: Complete.

Never Regret

Interest

I yawned, stretching my arms above my head as I got off the bus. We’d just driven for 2 and a half hours to Charleston, West Virginia, and we had four days till our gig here. Two weeks had passed since the start of tour, and after New York we’d driven 5 hours to Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, spending 5 days there doing promotion before we played our gig. That gig was yesterday, and today we’d driven nice and early till we got to this stop. I’d found out Pete was camping on the Cobra Starship bus, and smiled as he walked off it. Most of us were out here now, so we gathered round him.

“Alright, there’s a few things to do today. First we’ve got a photo shoot for NME magazine for Logan, Bill and Gabe,” Pete announced.

“NME?” Gabe scoffed.

“It’s been taken over by a new editor and she’s revamping it, so this is a perfect opportunity. Then after that, Cobra Starship have a radio interview to get to. Everyone else can just chill,” Pete explained.

“Yes!” JC and Reece high-fived, earning laughter.

“Logan, Gabe, Bill, you’ve got half an hour before we need to leave,” Pete warned.

People started dispersing back to their buses, including me. But a hand on my shoulder stopped me, and I turned round. Michael.

“Hey, a few of us are going to head to the nearest Starbucks – are you in?” Michael asked with a smile.

I yawned, making Michael laugh.

“Looks like I need caffeine. Gimme ten minutes?” I offered

.“I’ll round up the others,” Michael grinned.

I blushed slightly at his enthusiasm, but walked onto my bus, heading for my bunk.

“What did Michael want?” Logan asked with a frown.

“A few of them are going to Starbucks and wanted to know if any of us would like to go,” I replied, rolling my eyes.

“As long as he doesn’t get any ideas,” Reece nodded.

I sighed crossly. They wanted me to be social, but now they’re telling me not to be?

“What’s going on?” JC asked, looking at our expressions.

“We’re going to Starbucks, grab your cell and wallet,” I grumbled to him.

JC raised an eyebrow as I angrily stuffed my sidekick and a handful of money into the pockets of my ripped skinny jeans, but did as I said before following me off.

“Care to tell me what happened?” JC asked softly, leaning against our bus.

“Both Logan and Reece pissed me off! They keep saying how I need to be social and talk to the others, but then when one of them asks to go to coffee with me and his friends, they get stupidly protective! It’s not even as if I like him!” I exasperated.

JC sighed, running a hand through his messy light brown hair.

“They’re just looking out for you, you know that,” he said finally.

“They don’t need to! Not if there’s no reason to!” I retorted.

“Alright, take a deep breath, I’ll talk to them when we get back,” JC said firmly.

I scowled but nodded, doing so. There was no need to pass my bad mood onto others. When I was calm, I looked up at my best friend with my baby blues.

“Thanks,” I said with a small smile.

“No problem if it stops you ripping off someone’s head,” JC chuckled.

I laughed and nudged him with my hip, him nudging me back. I yawned and flattened my black tank top over my stomach, kicking the gravel with my scuffed black chucks. There was a lot of grass in Charleston, West Virginia, and it was a beautifully sunny day, so hopefully we’d be able to sit outside. Not long after, Michael walked off his bus, followed by Adam. They knocked on Cobra Starship’s bus and Nate walked off. And the three of them walked over to us.

“Just you two?” Nate asked, raising an eyebrow.

“Mmhmm,” I nodded simply.

“Fair enough. Anyone know where Starbucks is?” Nate asked cheerfully.

“I think we passed one a little way down the road,” Michael nodded.

“Let’s get going then!” Adam grinned.

It didn’t take the 5 of us long to reach the Starbucks, and I was glad that it was fairly empty. I’m really not in the mood for random fans to hassle us. Normally I don’t mind it, but I’m still in a bit of a grump.

“Go and sit down, I’ve got this one,” JC murmured to me.

“You sure?” I frowned.

He just nodded and smiled, so I sat at a nearby booth, waiting for them all to get their orders. After about ten minutes, we all had our drinks. Mm Mocha.

“Can we sit outside? I haven’t relaxed in the sun yet this tour?” I asked hopefully.

“Sounds like a good idea to me,” Michael nodded smiling.

We headed out of the shop, heading a little further up the practically deserted road to a small patch of grass. This’ll do.

“Mm this is much more like it,” Michael said happily.

“Typical Aussie,” Nate snickered.

“Where in Australia are you from?” I asked, taking a sip of my drink.

“I was born in Skipton, but I live in Sydney now,” Michael replied.

“Never heard of Skipton, definitely heard of Sydney,” JC chuckled.

“We might as well just go round saying information about ourselves,” Adam laughed.

“Like 20 questions without the questions?” I asked, raising an eyebrow.

“I’m in,” Michael shrugged.

I do love his accent. Sigh.

“Then you can start,” Nate grinned.

Michael laughed, but nodded.

“Alright, well you know where I was born and where I live. I have 6 siblings, so I’m one of 7. Most people call me Chizzy. I dropped out of high school to be a musician, so I was only educated up until I was 16. I play Fender guitars only, because they are the best, and currently I play a Fender Telecaster. Uh...I love vegemite?” Michael listed.

“That stuff is black death,” JC grimaced.

“Told you!” Adam said smugly.

“You’re next then,” Michael laughed.

Adam cleared his throat, smiling at me and JC.

“I am known as Sisky Business, and I grew up in the Virgin Islands but I live in Illinois now. I have an older brother, which is how I met the band because they all knew him. I switch between playing a Fender precision bass and a Gibson Firebird. And I absolutely love my cats,” Adam said cheerfully.

“Cats?” I mused.

“Don’t get him started, please,” Michael begged softly.

I laughed, making Michael smile broadly. I didn’t notice JC’s slight frown.

“Okay, I sometimes get called Nasty Nate for no reason I know of. I was born and raised in Atlanta, Georgia, and still live there now. I’m a Southern Gentleman and proud of it. Uh, I used to be a drum tech before I met Gabe, and when I stayed in Gabe’s basement when Cobra first started, my car got stolen three days in. I love fishing whenever I’m back home,” Nate said with a smile.

“Your car got stolen?” JC chuckled.

“It was a piece of shit anyway,” Nate shrugged, laughing.

“My first name is Jean-Christian. I was born in Lyon, France, but I moved to Detroit, Michigan, when I was 16. I share an apartment with Logan in Detroit right now. I don’t have any siblings, and was brought up by my mother. I never knew my father. I play a Schecter omen 6, because it’s awesome. I used to do a lot of boxing and I still work out heavily, even though I’ve been socially smoking since I was 17. My secret love is making desserts, especially mille-feuilles,” JC admitted.

“What are mille-feuilles?” Michael frowned.

“It’s a cake. Three layers of pastry separated by whipped cream and jam, glazed in icing and chocolate. It’s amazing,” JC explained.

“You’ll know it as a vanilla slice, even if it is slightly different,” I prompted.

“Oh yeah, they are amazing,” Michael grinned.

“I guess it’s my turn then. Well I was born in Detroit and still live there. I still live with my mum and my dad died when I was 7 from a heart attack. I have one sister, Lisa. I play a white Fender precision bass, and I love it. JC taught me how to fight when I first met him at 17, and I’ve put it to good use over the years. Um, I’ve socially smoked since I was 15, but I don’t talk about my past. Ever,” I said simply.

“Why don’t you talk about your past?” Adam frowned.

“A lot of bad shit happened,” I sighed.

“Mack’s birthday is also on the 15th September, which means we’ll be on tour to celebrate it,” JC said with a smile, changing the subject.

I squeezed his hand in thanks, not noticing the strange look in Michael’s eyes.

“We’ll have to plan a party then!” Nate said excitedly.

“Me party for my own birthday? I’d rather have sex with a razorblade,” I snorted.

The four guys laughed, a mixture of grimace and amusement in their eyes.

“That’s disgusting,” Adam chuckled.

“It’s the truth,” I shrugged, smiling.

*

[Michael Guy Chislett]

It was much later that day when we decided to walk back. Nate had left a couple of hours ago to do the Cobra interview, so it was just me, Adam, JC and Mackenzie. Mackenzie and Adam were ahead, talking passionately about bass guitars, and I was walking awkwardly with JC. A nice awkward silence.

“You like Mack, don’t you?” JC said quietly.

Or maybe not.

“No,” I lied, not looking at him.

“We told you not to bother getting involved like that!” JC groaned softly.

“Well I’m not getting involved, am I? Mackenzie doesn’t even look at me like that, so you don’t have to worry about it,” I said bitterly.

I watched her laugh at something Adam said, throwing her head back lightly. God, she is so beautiful. JC followed my gaze and sighed.

“She’s fucking got you bad, huh?” JC mused.

“More than you can imagine,” I confessed sadly.

JC bit his bottom lip, as if thinking about something. I shoved my hands in my pockets, staying silent, the only noise being the sound of our shoes crunching on gravel.

“I’m going to give you one chance,” JC said finally.

“W-What?” I stammered.

“I’m going to give you one chance to try to woo Mack. I’m not going to say anything to my bandmates, so neither should you to yours. You have one shot at making her like you. If you fuck up, I won’t be so nice. Logan and Reece won’t be either,” JC explained.

I swallowed heavily. We’d heard plenty about his boxing training, where he’d originally met Logan and Reece, so I knew he could hurt me if I hurt Mackenzie. Not that I ever would.

“So you’re seriously telling me to go for it?” I frowned.

“Mack means a lot to me, and I want to see her happy. She smiles and blushes a shit load around you, which I haven’t seen from her in a long time, so don’t fuck it up,” JC warned.

“Thanks, I really appreciate this. I always thought you and Mackenzie were together though,” I admitted.

“Me and Mack? Fuck no, she’s my best friend, nothing else. It’s always been that way. What made you think otherwise?” JC chuckled.

“You’re always together, you hold hands and squeeze hands, she sits on your lap all the time, and she flirts with you on stage for a start,” I pointed out.

“Mack and I are just really close. We’ve never even kissed. As for the stage flirting – it’s just for show,” JC shrugged.

I smiled slightly to myself, making JC laugh softly. My eyes returned to watching the peroxide blonde girl in front of me, entranced by the way her hips swayed from side to side. If JC was giving me a chance to go for Mackenzie, there was no way in hell that I was going to mess it up.
♠ ♠ ♠
So Michael has JC's support?
This shoud be interesting...

Thank you for the three comments in the last chapter! I know there are more of you subscribing - please give me your feedback!
xo