Status: New... What do you think?

Indian Summer

Chapter One

Jackie stumbled out into the bright Tennessee day after the long court session in Nashville. She glanced around and spotted a shaded bench across the street under an old oak tree and headed towards it. She was tired and upset over the whole ordeal of her parents getting divorced.

The court decided that she had to stay with her mother in the small town of Mount Juliet right outside the capital of the state. It was mid June and her birthday was in two weeks, but the court still had power over her, being a minor still, but she could wait. Soon enough she would be moving out, all alone in the world for the first time. Jackie was so excited. Only a couple more weeks, she could handle it, right? All by herself... No steady job... No car... Nothing. It's going to be okay... she thought. I'll get the money somehow.

"Jack?" It was her mother. Jackie preferred to be called Jack. It was her childhood nickname.

"Over here, Mom!" She called waving at her while standing up from the park bench. Jackie walked back across the street and up the stairs to the courthouse where her mother was waiting.

"Are you okay, Hon?" Her mother questioned, peering into her eyes, trying to see any hint of emotion.

Jackie pushed her away. "I'm fine, Mom. Seriously..."

"Well... Just, try to be strong alright? I know this is very stressful and-- "

"Mom!" Jackie yelled, her temper getting the best of her. "I'm fine!" Her mother is a very fragile woman; she always has been very emotional and she assumed that trait had been passed onto her daughter, but that was not the case. Jackie was a very strong, independent teen and she didn't understand why her mother couldn't comprehend that.

"I just..." Her mother trailed off and Jackie glanced up. Mrs. Martin's eyes were brimming with tears. She wiped them away just in time as the lawyer they hired marched up.

"Excuse me." The woman said acidly to Jackie as she grabbed her mother's arm and pulled her a few steps away. Jackie glared at her. What in the world is her problem?
The lawyer handed a stack of papers to Jackie's mother and clipped a pen to the pocket on the front of her blouse. She motioned to a small table to the side and pushed Mrs. Martin in the direction of it. After she tottered towards it, arms full of legal papers, the lawyer briskly walked back into the building.

Jackie caught up to her mother and took some of the papers, setting them down on the table when they reached it.

"Hey... Mom?" She said.

"Yes?"

"I'm gonna go if its okay... Maybe stop by that coffee shop on the way home..."

"Alright, Sweets. Be careful..." Her mother replied as she stared at the paperwork she had yet to do. "I'll be home late. Watch a movie or something. Order pizza."

"Okay..." Jackie said and started for her car parked down on the street.

Jackie owned a yellow Camaro her father bought for her as an apology for the divorce. As much as she loved her mother, she loved her father more. He lived on the coast of South Carolina in a giant, beautiful beach house. He was also very wealthy, buying Jackie anything she needed or wanted. Although Jackie got all these presents it wasn't anything she wanted. She hated getting gifts or any sort; she didn't think it was right for someone to go spending all their money on her.

Jackie started up the car still thinking about her father. Pulling out of the parking lot, she glanced at her mother and headed towards town. Off to the coffee shop and movie rental store and then on to home in the sleepy town of Mount Juliet.
♠ ♠ ♠
Does it flow? Do you like it? I need some opinions and suggestions. Please comment and subscribe. :)