Status: New... What do you think?

Indian Summer

Chapter Five

The boy made his way to Jackie cautiously; all the while she was debating whether or not to run away. She was definitely not a social person, how was she going to talk to this boy? It didn't look like he was any more social than she was though, he just looked lonely enough to approach her. She decided to stay where she was and see what was going to happen. The boy reached her and suddenly he looked very scared.

"Uh.. wait.. I have to go.." He said awkwardly, turning to leave.

"No, wait, you don't have to go..." Jackie trailed off, not knowing how to start a conversation. As much as she was scared to make a bad impression of herself, she wanted someone to talk to. Its not like he knew her anyways.

"Really?" He asked with just a little more confidence than before.

"Yeah, sure.." Jackie said still unsure but willing to try to make a friend.

"Ok.." The boy shrugged. "By the way... the names' Will. I just moved in back there." He gestured to where he had first entered the clearing to the lake.

"Humph... Jackie." She told him plainly, introducing herself.

Will sat down next to Jackie on the rock and examined the picture she had been working on before he had interrupted her.

"Your a good artist, Jackie." He said. "Do you ever enter it in contests... or shows?"

"Nah... its just for my own enjoyment..." She replied, eying her own work, trying to see it as he did. She thought nothing of it... It was just another piece of crappy art.

"I see..." He said. Will pulled out a book and started reading, leaving Jackie to look him over.

He wasn't anything special. Just a kind of geeky, awkward kid. One of those boys that lives in their own world and no one pays attention to. His face was dotted with acne, Jackie felt sorry for the kid, she'd already been through her puberty smack-down stage. He sat hunched over his book, lost in the words. After more examination, Jackie moved over and began to draw again, finishing her first picture and starting another of a weird bug she kept seeing flying over the water's surface.

The time flew by as Jackie drew. She glanced down at the small watch she wore on her wrist and read the time as 11:07. She had been outside for about three hours now. Sighing, she got up and closed her sketch-book. Looking to her side, she jumped; not remembering her earlier conversation with the boy, Will. He looked up at her with a confused look on his face.

"Sorry, I have to go..." Jackie told him quietly. It was time for lunch... And to do some cleaning in the house.

"Ehh.. Me too. Well I guess I'll see you later.." He answered. Will pulled out a bookmark, closed his book on it, and stood up.

"Yeah, Bye." Jackie replied and stalked off, leaving Will staring at her as she walked away.
♠ ♠ ♠
Another bad chapter, I have somewhat of a writers block...
I just don't want to leave you guys hanging...
Comment? Thanks...